CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Shelby Cobra View Post
Higher Single Bar - Olthoff Racing
Dennis sells a higher roll bar!
Dennis runs what is probably the best SPF support shop in the country. The custom roll bar from Olthoff is made from thicker walled material and is taller than the original SPF. It is designed to pass the VIR "broomstick" test and to provide better protection for the driver in the event of a roll over. I do not think any consideration was given toward making it look more like the original CSX roll bar.
- Oops, read the third page of this thread AFTER I made this post. Didn't mean to be redundant. Full speed ahead. :-)

Last edited by SPF1061; 12-21-2014 at 08:06 AM..
Old 12-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Ted,
Thanks for the offer, two sets of hands are better than one and two heads thinking about the problem always make it clearer. PM me your phone number and I will give you a call when I plan to go. Should we include Ron as well, especially now that he has some time off.
Bob
Old 12-21-2014, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     

i didn't receive the new rollbar yet, but i did play around with positioning the stock rollbar 3 inches higher, and placing the extension bar mock. The very top of the rollbar is 14 inches from the cowl. I also made a template for cutting the scallop out of the extension stub. going to a friends in a moment to measure his beautiful ERA rollbar.

Last edited by frankym; 11-19-2020 at 02:00 AM..
Old 12-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lookin' good Frankym.
Keep up the good work.
Bob
Old 12-21-2014, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Going to raise roll bar height a total of 2 inches to 13 at the top. My friends Era is only 12 inches.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankym View Post
Going to raise roll bar height a total of 2 inches to 13 at the top. My friends Era is only 12 inches.
The rear cowl on the SPF sits a tad taller. When you said you raised the factory hoop 3" previously it sort of looked tall to me. I think 2" should look more "right", at least to my eyes. Kirkhams are 12.5" from the cowl to the bottom of the hoop but they also have the flatter cowl like an ERA.

Awesome project. Thanks for sharing your progress.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very helpful. 12.5-13.0 seems like a better compromise. Its mainly the extension leg that will change the look.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayboy View Post
Ted,
Thanks for the offer, two sets of hands are better than one and two heads thinking about the problem always make it clearer. PM me your phone number and I will give you a call when I plan to go. Should we include Ron as well, especially now that he has some time off.
Bob
PM sent
Old 12-22-2014, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When i actually find my spot to make the new hole, i need to do two things (assuming placement and size are good)

1. I need to preserve the cutout intact to use as a plug for the existing hole.

2. Minimize the splintering of paint along yhe edges of the hole.

Here is my plan. Put an accessory shop light in the trunk overnight to keep the paint fairly warm. Put wide painters tape over the painted surface to be cut. Mark the ellipse with a sharpie. Use a spiral saw to make the initial cut. Then use a fine blade on my bosch jigsaw. Then use low rpm to slowly cut out the hole.

I am considering not redoing the body and putting a static meatball to cover the hole. I might reaffix the hole insert by filling the small gap (after positioning the cutout plug) with something called q-bond which is amazing stuff. Its fine powder that fills the void then drop the glue and it hardens within 5 seconds like a rock.

I plan to mock and weld as soon as that rollbar comes in maybe tonight. Cutting the body is very last major step.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

13.5 high at top. Going to lower the left side 1/8

Looking for feedback!

That kit from cobra restorers was awesome. But i hand to widen it 3/4 of an inch. Its really right right now.

ACademic likes this.

Last edited by frankym; 11-19-2020 at 02:02 AM..
Old 12-23-2014, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankym View Post
13.5 high at top. Going to lower the left side 1/8

Looking for feedback!

That kit from cobra restorers was awesome. But i hand to widen it 3/4 of an inch.
Looking good, frankym! I think you nailed the down tube angle. Seeing a more straight-on side shot/profile view would help confirm that as well as the height. Did you use the floor jack method to widen the cobra restorer's hoop by 3/4"? And how does their hoop conform to the lower mounting points, as there is a shallow 4-5" bend on the bottom right mount? Are you also planning to fab a faux upper bracket ("collar") that slips over the inside tube just underneath the cowl? I don't believe there is a structural member behind that area to rigidly mount the collar, but if you're going to go to all this trouble you might as well add another detail even if it's not functional (hint: I don't believe you will find those on the continuation series cars).

Last edited by ACademic; 12-23-2014 at 05:07 AM..
Old 12-23-2014, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

A couple things: what will you connect the rear brace to inside the trunk? Will it line up with the chassis? You will probably need to drop the fuel tank to make some kind of mount back there to attach it. The new leg mount will create an issue with carrying your top and side screens in the trunk. The original opening in the body that you need to cover has had the battery cut off switch located there and looked quite nice with the right plate to cover the hole. Plate painted body color looked nice. Will it clear the trunk hinge?
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 12-23-2014 at 10:47 AM..
Old 12-23-2014, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good questions, Blas. Since the extension bar movement is more toward the rear than to the left side of the cowl, I'll wager that the attachment point will end up somewhere near the leading ledge of the battery box area. A bracket could be affixed there without requiring removal of the gas tank (although the battery would for the drilling phase). So overall storage shouldn't be affected. The hinges are already inboard of the existing extension bar so that is not an issue either. The one wildcard will be where any battery cut-off is mounted. I've seen them mounted high and low along that wheel well, with the higher point possibly requiring a relocation.

But to your previous point, even a termination point there may not hit a structural member and might require more surgery to achieve that. We'll all learn together!

frankym, please tell us more about what mods/massaging you had to make to the replacement roll bar to get it to this stage and if you have any further tweaking to accomplish?

Last edited by ACademic; 12-23-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Old 12-23-2014, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

wonder no further, alas, its done!

i am doing some body work and paint prep for the rollbar where i had to widen it. I also came up with a pretty cool ( I think!) alternative to the bodywork. I ordered an AC steering wheel emblem, but used mine to show it. I also included photos of the trunk. The one lesson i learned? make the cutout as tight as you can, i have a little more gap than i wanted. The painters tape worked amazing, and i used the spiral saw for the entire cutout. but all in, i'm pretty jazzed!

ACademic likes this.

Last edited by frankym; 11-19-2020 at 02:05 AM..
Old 12-23-2014, 12:56 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Nice layout.....

To close the old hole, I've made plugs for other cobra owners when I had still had the body shop. Not hard to do, and adding a latch key system underneath made the plugs removable at a few moments notice. Getting a shop to come close on the color match will be the trick, but most have a laser style color matching system these days, so it may not be as big an issue as you might think.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-23-2014, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dang, Franky, you're a boss! Coming along nicely.

How rigid is the terminal point of the extension bar? Any meat to bolt to at that juncture?
Old 12-23-2014, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thank you bill, i kinda like the AC emblem back there, figured i'd coat the inside of the emblem with a thin layer of silicon, let it cure, then insert, and use safety wire and a bic pen tube to anchor it. I also used the fuel hose to create a really sweet looking grommet. The terminal point of the extension bar slides into my new base, the base is a 1.5 inch pipe with the smaller pipe welded into place, then the extension tube grabs it and is secured by a 3/8 hardened bolt.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Huzzah, Huzzah! Frankym, you are the Man!

How difficult was it to bend the Cobra Restorers down bar to fit the original mounting point on the right side of your SPF? How about posting some photos of the mounting points of both ends of the rollbar, the one between the seats and the one behind the rear wheel.
As you complete this project and reflect on what you have done, do you have any thoughts about what you might change if you were going to start over and do it again?
Thanks for any ideas you may have.
Bob
Old 12-23-2014, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clayboy

There was no bending of the rollbar. I actually cut the mid point of the hoop and added about 3/4 inch of tubing. CR was extremely generous with the material. The thing i would do differently is cut a smaller hole for the extension leg. The base mount in the trunk uses the same 2 bolts as the original, its just a longer rectangle base. I would also make a triangle out of the base so it isnt as leveraged. But the base i used is actually got raised edges. Finishing paint on gloss black. Will update finished car. I have about 20 hours on this project. Maybe 2 more to go.
ACademic likes this.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last edited by frankym; 11-19-2020 at 02:07 AM..