LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
Look at it from the perspective of the owner of a '60's Cobra: People ask, "Is it real?" And if you answer "Yes" they often nod with the look that says, "Ha ha. That wanker thinks his car is a real Cobra. What a dip****." So there are no winners here.
I haven't met many but of the real (original) cobra owners I've met they've all been down to earth cool guys.

And the biggest wanker I've ever met regardless of type of car was a aluminum continuation owner. He started by pointedly parking away from our group of various brand replicas including a fiberglass bodied CSX. Then when a couple of us approached him asking about his car all he would angrily say through clenched teeth is "It's a REAL SHELBY COBRA" and walked away.

That wasn't you was it Evan?

Mario
Old 01-19-2015, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

There's probably 5 other versions of this same subject here too.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

My normal response is "yes, it's a registered original and valued by me at over $2,000,000." I also proceed to tell them that I played professional sports, my signifcant other is a professional model and my kids are geniuses and have either academic or sports scholarships to Stanford, Notre Dame, UC's and the better Ivy League schools. Oh, when they ask me which professional sport, I just say all of them. I was that good.

I don't know what all the big deal is about.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

I had a very different experience today while getting a Texas safety inspection at a local garage. Pulled in and the place came to a stop as customers and mechanics gathered around the car. Within 15 seconds I was asked if it was a real one. I told the gathering that no, there are not many real ones that were made in the 60's around and this on was made in 2009. The response was pretty amazing, something like "wow, a new one, never saw a new one before". Probably never saw an old one either. I wasn't trying to be cute or deceitful at all but really, it didn't matter. The group was blown away by the car, just like everyone else is by most of the nice replicas out there. So, I'm for just being happy and proud of what you have....everyone else seems to be already.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:15 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritoBandito View Post
I haven't met many but of the real (original) cobra owners I've met they've all been down to earth cool guys.

And the biggest wanker I've ever met regardless of type of car was a aluminum continuation owner. He started by pointedly parking away from our group of various brand replicas including a fiberglass bodied CSX. Then when a couple of us approached him asking about his car all he would angrily say through clenched teeth is "It's a REAL SHELBY COBRA" and walked away.

That wasn't you was it Evan?

Mario
Does that person live in the great state of PA? If so, I am many others have had the displeasure of meeting him and listening to him spin his lies to all who would listen.

"CS personally built this car"
"This car is an original car built in 1965"
etc and so forth.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Sure, go ahead, dismiss the question. But I have a weak ego and a tiny package. I use my Cobra to feed my ego and impress others. When they ask 'that question', I suffer great anxiety wondering what to say. It is so depressing, that usually, that evening, I cannot make love to my gorgeous wife.

I don't think there is a good answer to the question. Most of us that don't have a real Cobra have to suffer in silence.

I wish I could afford a real Cobra that was manufactured in the '60s.

Can we open a new forum called the Cobra Anxiety Syndrome Forum? Let's share. Let's talk. Let's hug.

Last edited by Paul F; 01-19-2015 at 05:59 PM..
Old 01-19-2015, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Does that person live in the great state of PA? If so, I am many others have had the displeasure of meeting him and listening to him spin his lies to all who would listen.

"CS personally built this car"
"This car is an original car built in 1965"
etc and so forth.

Bill S.
No he's in Socal and didn't actually say much other than being mad. I guess he just didn't like being reminded that his car wasn't an original.

Basically I walk over to where he parked separately, see CSX40XX and say "Sweet continuation! Aluminum too! Nice!" He says "No (big pause) it's a real Shelby." I say "Of course! It's a beautiful car. I just meant it's one of his continuation series ca..." Him through gritted teeth "IT'S A REAL SHELBY" and walked off with me making a WTF face. Back at the Cobra group I asked my Shelby buddy what was up and he said he's always kind of s dick. Who knows.

Heh.. Mebbe next time I see him I'll start asking about his Kirkham.

We do have one of those liar guys though. This guy has a SN95 V6 Procharged Mustang and claims that Shelby personally oversaw the modifications to to his car and it makes over bla bla bla HP special Shelby suspension yadda yadda etc. To back up his claims he likes to show off Carroll's signature on his dash.

Mario
Old 01-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Enjoy whatever you have and be thankful for it.

BTW, There is no crying in baseball!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M8szlSa-8o[/ame]
Old 01-20-2015, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I'm still deciding on my number plate. I think it'll be COPY65.
That will stop the first question. then I'll fill it with gas at midnight. And drive around with headphones, pretending not to hear anyone. lol.
JD
Old 01-20-2015, 03:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I took my FF Coupe for a drive the other day and got all kinds of questions, mostly "Is it fast." I enjoy talking to people who show an interest in the cars. Yesterday I drove the 69 NASCAR Cobra over to the dam and video taped the drive and a lot of people ask if it is real and I tell them yes and show them the registry on it. They think it is a Torino, but Ford only made Torino GTs in 69 and the Cobras are simply referred to by Ford as Ford Cobras or Cobras. Mine was made with a 68 Fairlane which Holman Moody did the body modifications on, and once people see the papers on it they are really interested. I have alos met a lot of friends and car guys while driving either of the cars.

Ron
lovehamr likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-20-2015, 05:53 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Every barrel of apples has it's "wankers" whether it be the barrel of originals, continuation or replica barrel. I've run into wankers from each barrel.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I guess if given to long winded answers, you can say: It's real in the sense that like Carroll Shelby, I started by going out to find a donor chassis and body from an established manufacture to start with. Then I got me a big Ford engine and transmission and squeezed them in, found some appropriate tires and wheels, cobbled up a few things as I went and made a few other changes/additions to suit my purposes. So while like Carroll's Cobras, it's a real conglomeration of various parts and sources and has a lot in common with his cars, it's basically kind of like a cousin once or twice, maybe three or four times removed.
Jaydee likes this.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 306 Ford Racing Holley carb.
Not Ranked     

One come back that seems to work for me at car shows is "If I had a $1.2 Million original I wouldn't be letting you get this close."
Old 01-20-2015, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

I tell them it is a well-built replica (which is the truth) and that it is well enough done that it has fooled a number of very knowledgable people (which is also the truth..l had my head in the trunk of my replica and someone came up to me and said they had not seen an original on the street since they worked on them at an auto dealership back in the 1960's). I then tell them that it is likely that it could outperform the originals and that it is no more expensive than a decent new mid-size car. That's usually TMI..."yes" or "no" would probably have been enough.

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     

The other day I told a guy "if it was real I wouldn't be having the $5 special at Subway" We both laughed...
RodKnock likes this.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well you guys can answer how you like. To me "Is it real?" means "Is it an original?" and answering in some roundabout way that tries to imply some equivalence or superiority just comes off bad.

Put it another way, Lynn Parks walks up and you know who he is. You're gonna tell him exactly what your car is. No way are you gonna try some spiel on him. Why try it on anyone else?

Of course I'm nobody here so what the hell do I know.

Mario
Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Every barrel of apples has it's "wankers" whether it be the barrel of originals, continuation or replica barrel. I've run into wankers from each barrel.
So you met the guy with the 40th Anniversary continuation series from PA

I know the LVSAAC guys could point him out in a heartbeat

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-20-2015, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritoBandito View Post
Put it another way, Lynn Parks walks up and you know who he is. You're gonna tell him exactly what your car is. No way are you gonna try some spiel on him. Why try it on anyone else?
Fair enough, but Lynn Parks doesn't need to ask...
Old 01-20-2015, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When I first began to drive mine, a couple guys asked if it was a Kit Car and I said yes, then they asked what year Mustang frame it used, so after awhile I began to reply that it was a replica with a custom designed frame and suspension. Some of the more knowledgeable guys would then ask if it was a Factory Five. (that's alright too)

A friend in the club has a very cool "real" 289. I've seen a lot of guys walk up and reach up under the fender wells to feel the aluminum body or even worse, knock the fender with their knuckles (I'm sorry, but I just think that's rude, you don't touch some else's stuff!)
I've seen guys ask him if it was real and he tells them yes (which it is). He told me that a couple guys have argued with him and told him why it's not real. Morons!
Old 01-20-2015, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptech View Post
When I first began to drive mine, a couple guys asked if it was a Kit Car and I said yes, then they asked what year Mustang frame it used, so after awhile I began to reply that it was a replica with a custom designed frame and suspension. Some of the more knowledgeable guys would then ask if it was a Factory Five. (that's alright too)
I've had many ask the 'frame question'. Apparently these people have never crawled under a car and are completely oblivious to unibody construction, notwithstanding the majority of vehicles have been made that way for decades.

Tags
cobra