Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

I always respond with "I am flattered you asked, but no, it's a replica."

I used to get asked if it's real a lot more back when I bought the car in '03. Nowadays, I get asked "is it a Factory Five" about twice as much as if it's real. FFR has certainly done a nice job marketing.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

I try to answer based on who asking. If they know something about cobra's then I go into detail, If they are being a smart axx in front of their buddy's I have said its a Volkswagen with just a body on it. Grins everywhere turn to frowns when they heard me leaving later. Some people are not happy unless you give them the answer they want to hear. Best one was when I pull into truck stop about midnight with my bus conversion to fill up. Went inside to prepay and three girls working behind counter ask who was I driving around. I told them it was just me and it was my motorhome, they said no really, who do you have in there. I told them just me and my family, one girl was getting more than a little upset and said who is in there. After minute I just said Brittany. All three at same time yelled I knew it. Brittany is name of my third daughter.
Dimis likes this.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:36 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Fair enough, but Lynn Parks doesn't need to ask...
Think of how Lynn's own replica feels, among all those originals...
(no, I'm not insinuating any consipracy theories or Tom Foolery)
Old 01-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
So you met the guy with the 40th Anniversary continuation series from PA

I know the LVSAAC guys could point him out in a heartbeat

Bill S.
Yes. I know who he is. He is very hard to take. Very.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Sometimes they want so badly for it to be "real"....so I (I know I'm going to hell for it) play them along so they won't be disappointed. I've actually got quite good at it.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCobra View Post
Sometimes they want so badly for it to be "real"....so I (I know I'm going to hell for it) play them along so they won't be disappointed. I've actually got quite good at it.

Who is it that wants it so badly? The general public or you?

My guess would be you do not have a career that involves ethics or gaining trust from customers or fellow associates?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCobra View Post
Ehhh, what the hell. You're not stealing from them; you're actually making them happy for a moment. It's no different than Santa or the Easter Bunny. For one fleeting moment they can actually believe they saw a real live Cobra, and they'll always remember it. The fact that they didn't, really, is of little consequence.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Dickey View Post
. . . "I am flattered you asked, but no, it's a replica." . . .
This is the best answer yet. Good comment, Russ

Paul Proefrock
Old 01-20-2015, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Jay Leno doesn't have any difficulty being honest about his, why should any of us?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I guess I don't understand the problem some of you guys always seem to have with this question.
"Is it real?" Meaning, is it a 60's cobra?
"No. It's a nice replica."
Why be an ahole and say something smart or out and out lie? Are some of you really that insecure?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Searching
Not Ranked     

Just chuckle a little and say the Originals weren't even real - how can this one be???
Jaydee and NewYorkGuy like this.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     
Default Answer to Is it Real or a Kit ?

When I get asked if it's real or a kit.... Since I have a Superformance.... I tell them it was built in South Africa and the 2000th one built and they just stand there looking dumb founded and really just don't know what to say other than....Wow!!
Old 01-21-2015, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A lot of times people are just trying to start a conversation it just might be a nervous response. Whatever, I have sometimes come back with it is sure real to me. Most have no clue what a real Cobra is anyway. If they ask for more detail then the replica comes into the conversation and why my car means so much to me and it is a REAL relicar Cobra.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Is it real? We all know what they mean so unless you're driving a 60's original, best answer="No"

If the person seems genuinely interested, I'll say it's a replica. Some go on to ask which brand and the conversation goes from there. Most here in the Caribbean ask what kind of car it is or how old. One guy who sees it on a semi regular basis always yells "Aston Martin!" when I drive past. Occasionally they yell "Shelby" or "Cobra" and most who have no clue what it is are just amazed that it has a V8.

One afternoon in the parking lot of the local marina, as I negotiated a speed bump by the taxi stand this huge guy left his domino game, hurried over and asked gruffly, "I heard you built that car yourself - Is that true?" I just smiled and nodded. Right after that I passed a group of what appeared to be Aussies on an open top tour jeep and one guy leaned way over and said "you've got to be sh-ttin' me!" I suppose that was about the last thing he expected to see on the road down here.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 01-21-2015 at 06:08 AM..
Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
If the person seems genuinely interested, I'll say it's a replica. Some go on to ask which brand and the conversation goes from there. Most here in the Caribbean ask what kind of car it is or how old. One guy who sees it on a semi regular basis always yells "Aston Martin!" when I drive past. Occasionally they yell "Shelby" or "Cobra" and most who have no clue what it is are just amazed that it has a V8.
I have been asked, on at least three occasions over the last ten years, "Is this James Bond's car?" The last time, the young woman who asked that then turned to her friend and said that she would like to have one just like it, and her friend replied, "yeah, right... I bet that car costs ten thousand dollars -- maybe more....". Well, that was a few years ago, inflation and all....
Old 01-21-2015, 09:24 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

If it wasn't for the dual rollbars, she would have said, "Twelve thousand."
Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
If it wasn't for the dual rollbars, she would have said, "Twelve thousand."
Ahhh, well let me tell you another story. Thirty years or so ago, I was young in my career, and I was flying through LAX. I was in first class and, when I boarded the plane, imagine my surprise and delight to be seated next to Burt Reynolds. I nodded "hello" to him, but we did not speak during the short flight. However, towards the end of the flight he asked me to pass him a magazine from across the isle, which I did, and I said "by the way, I'm a big fan of yours." He smiled politely at me and said "I'm not Burt Reynolds." Well, that depressed me for the rest of the day. Had that man simply smiled and nodded, or had he even said "I really appreciate that, thanks." it would have made my week, and I would have remembered it to this day. And so, my dear Rodney, I view the "Is it real?" scenario to be in a similar vein. Others, of course, will disagree.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Why be an ahole and say something smart or out and out lie? Are some of you really that insecure?
Yes, people are very insecure and have fragile egos. Which is most peculiar considering they consciously bought a fake of one of the most famous cars there is.

It's like being a celebrity and then not expecting people to bother you in public.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:11 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Ahhh, well let me tell you another story. Thirty years or so ago, I was young in my career, and I was flying through LAX. I was in first class and, when I boarded the plane, imagine my surprise and delight to be seated next to Burt Reynolds. I nodded "hello" to him, but we did not speak during the short flight. However, towards the end of the flight he asked me to pass him a magazine from across the isle, which I did, and I said "by the way, I'm a big fan of yours." He smiled politely at me and said "I'm not Burt Reynolds." Well, that depressed me for the rest of the day. Had that man simply smiled and nodded, or had he even said "I really appreciate that, thanks." it would have made my week, and I would have remembered it to this day. And so, my dear Rodney, I view the "Is it real?" scenario to be in a similar vein. Others, of course, will disagree.
That's actually a good one. Here's mine, non Cobra related: In my salad days, I was signed to Capitol records. My band was new to the label and we were at a concert, sharing a box with the uppers, including the president. Well, as the night passed, the president's wife was sitting real close, I mean really leaning in, kicking her shoe off and tickling my leg, and placing her hand further up my thigh as the night passed. I was freaking out. I figured the president and his wife have an open marriage. She was not attactive. But was I going to have to take one for the team? This was our carreer at stake! Nothing happened but on the way home, I was looking at the piece of paper she handed me with her number on it. I was saying, "I can't believe Gary's wife! She wanted me!" My friend says, "Who? That wasn't Gary's wife. That was Becky from accounting."
Moral of the story: The truth shall set you free.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

In my salad days, I was signed to Capitol records.

Hey me too! I got 13 records for 1 penny but had to buy 4 new ones a year for 3 years at the regular price.
rodneym likes this.

Tags
cobra