21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Yeah, ego can be kind of a fragile thing. Years ago I was proudly showing my wife's cousin (female) my 67 Plymouth GTX complete with 440 motor and all, and her only comment was: "OK, I think I totaled one like that when I was in college" in a tone that suggested it was no big loss.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

LOL! Funny stuff, Patrick and Rodney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
It's like being a celebrity and then not expecting people to bother you in public.
You're right, but with replicas, it's probably more like dressing up as a celebrity and getting pissed off when folks ask if you're really ----------
FatBoy, Paul F and db replicas like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DB427SC. 289FIA. COUPE. Round tube, Aluminium body, 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLip View Post
When I get asked if it's real or a kit.... Since I have a Superformance.... I tell them it was built in South Africa and the 2000th one built and they just stand there looking dumb founded and really just don't know what to say other than....Wow!!
Could that be because what they would otherwise say would be somewhat offensive to you!
FatBoy likes this.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #678
Not Ranked     

My favorite is how my license plate say's PLACEBO and had two guys come up and ask me what PLACK BOW meant?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Some of the more anal types mentioned earlier in the thread should have SUPPOSITORY on their license plates.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-11-2015, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA with a 428 FE that runs on pump gas, but has plenty of power.
Not Ranked     

I don't mind when people ask that; it is a compliment at some level.
If they have to ask...

I just don't like the term "KIT CAR".
There were some really crappy Kit Cars made over the years, and so that description is un-kind.

Don
bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One of those things you have to get used to. The other day ran across a guy I met at a car show years ago in his Lamborgini Countach first thing out of his mouth is that question. My answer with a grin was no mine is much better lets line these cars up. He remembered me and gracefully declined.

Last edited by mdross1; 06-12-2015 at 05:22 AM..
Old 06-12-2015, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I think the problem here is "kit car" sounds like a Volkswagen dune buggy variety which comes across derogatory. Seems to me that many replicas are built better than the originals (no offense here to Oriiginal Owners) as a result of the technological advancements over the years. I usually say, "No, its a replica, but is built as good as or better than the originals and has more HP."

Phil
Old 06-12-2015, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

One other option is, "No, its a Nissan Leaf Replica."

Phil
Old 06-12-2015, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BD 1445 Coyote TKO 600 3.91
Not Ranked     

When asked if mine is a KIT CAR.... I respond with NO KIT was a Trans Am on the TV show Knight Rider.

Mine is a 1965 Modified African American Rolling Replica
Old 06-12-2015, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427SC/Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Maybe it's different in Idaho, but people have always seemed just as excited to hear it's a replica as perhaps they would a real one.

Except one time during a gas stop. An elderly gentleman walked up, stopped about 10 feet away, then slowly walked all the way around my car. Then he asked if he could touch it, and I said that was fine. He walked over to the rear fender, very lightly touched the top of the fender with one finger and quickly pulled it away. Then he walked back over to me and said its the nicest old Corvette he's ever seen and slowly walked away. I didn't have the heart to tell him any different.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Some of the smart ass responses that some people are suggesting really make me cringe, as I'm sure they do with the people asking the questions.
As was suggested earlier, if the person seems genuinely excited to have seen an "original" Cobra, what harm does it do to tell a little white lie? It will probably make their day.
On the other hand, if the person has a serious interest, tell them exactly what it is without the smart ass comments. It doesn't need all the silly, cryptic and spurious qualifications.

Paul
Old 06-13-2015, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post

On the other hand, if the person has a serious interest, tell them exactly what it is without the smart ass comments. It doesn't need all the silly, cryptic and spurious qualifications.

Paul
100% agree, it all depends on who is asking and how they do it. After all most people asking would never know the difference other than the material the body is made of.
So many of us that spent countless hours studying these cars to get things right then all the hours fussing with every single part and piece of his car has a very strong connection. For me partly because of my age I guess have gotten beyond worrying about the inevitable question "is it real".
When asked if the person is genuinely interested love to tell all about the car otherwise it is short and sweet have nothing to hide and very proud of my creation. It is certainly real to me replica or otherwise.
Without a kit available would probably never realize my dream of owning one of these incredible machines so my thanks to all who manufacture them.

Mike Ross
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 3020 Competition, 427; CSX 4385 Aluminum Body, 427; CSX 2096, 289
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
One of those things you have to get used to. The other day ran across a guy I met at a car show years ago in his Lamborgini Countach first thing out of his mouth is that question. My answer with a grin was no mine is much better lets line these cars up. He remembered me and gracefully declined.
After he asked you that, you should have asked him if his Countach was a Kit car! Lol
Old 06-14-2015, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I basically tell the same thing that Bill does. Then if they show more interest I will spend time talking to them.

Ron
Ditto
Old 06-14-2015, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthompson View Post
After he asked you that, you should have asked him if his Countach was a Kit car! Lol

Good one, never gave that a thought I'll try to remember it next time I get asked. Actually the Lambo is an original I looked it over inside and out at that car show all those years ago.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Ok, I'm a Transplant. I've lived in the three west coast states & have never known a cobra as an unrecognizable car. Usually the question is of the nature of the thread. "Is it a kitcar?" If it's a kid in his early 20's, they sometimes can't figure out what it is but, here in Vermont... the question I get 80% of the time, regardless of age, is "what is it?" I'm happy to send people on their way with, "Yes, it's a kit car". Be I'm continually caught off guard by people, especially guys in the 50-70yr range, not knowing it's a Cobra. Is it like this anywhere else?
Old 07-11-2015, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MK 2, 351 stroked supercharged
Not Ranked     

It depends on how it is ask. The majority asks is it real or a kit I say it is a custom built reproduction are you interested in one. That usually will start a good conversation of what it takes to build one and the pros and cons etc. If they ask if it is one of the fake Cobras, I ask them, what makes it fake? The fact that it makes 150+ hp more than the 427 version has better drive train, suspension and brakes. I usually get a blank stare and then I hear it does not have an aluminum body. These are few and far between and most are very interested. Kids love it and if the parents want I let the kids sit in it and get their picture taken.

Tags
cobra