Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     
Default Price of a Superformance Daytona Coup Roller

I was asked yesterday what the price of a Daytona Coup goes for. I know it's more than the MkIII. A fully decked out SPF MKIII roller with all the bells and whistles is around 58-60k. With top dog motor and tranny and a few extras e.g. accu sump, halon, fuel injection etc, installation, mid to high 80s is likely the cost new. Today I see someone "fairly" pricing the SPF Daytona Coup with over 7,000 miles at @$160k. Are these coup rollers selling for $85k more than a MKIII? Curious why that car would be that much more expensive. Maybe it's a lower volume car with fewer alternatives and the market is there for it, but the premium seems a bit crazy. Does anyone know the cost of the SPF Brock roller?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

How do you figure mid high 80's

Aluminum block fe with a carb is 19k
Trans with clutch 3k easy likely more with shipping
Tires can get pricey figure 400 each plus mounting plus shipping
Fuel injection 8k guessing
Dry sump, halon no guess.

I m thinking 100k by the time you are done.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     

ok, let's forget the fuel injection, tires come with the car, so figure more like 90k. trying to understand the coup premium of 75k over a SPF MK3
Old 01-21-2015, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Can't help you there does not appeal to me.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Unless it's old stock, there are no more SPF Daytona Coupe rollers being made. Shelby now makes them as their CSX9000 series. And the rollers are muy expensivo.

Kirkham also makes alloy Daytona Coupe rollers, but those are also muy expensivo.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankym View Post
ok, let's forget the fuel injection, tires come with the car, so figure more like 90k. trying to understand the coup premium of 75k over a SPF MK3
Because they can!

I know it sounds like a smart a$$ed quip, but there really isn't that much that goes into these cars to justify the final $$$ expense. Its not like they've spent big on R&D for engine development, or traction control, launch control, power windows, central locking, cruise control, ABS power steering, blah blah blah... Even copying the shape would come cheaper than trying to create from scratch when compared to an OEM design that goes through the rigmarole.

Basically that's the price of exclusivity - they know it and if you want it, you pay! imho
Old 01-22-2015, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427 IR
Not Ranked     

The last MKII Daytona Coupe that I know of was delivered last year to a person in Texas. All in all, he had about $110,000 plus delivery cost in the roller. This was also after a 2 year wait for the delivery. You add installation cost plus engine and transmission cost to the roller, one can easily get to over $150,000-$175,000 for the Daytona Coupe. MHOP is that SPF has priced this car out of what most people are willing to pay. The above is why the used Daytona Coupes prices are rising. Hillbank sold a used MKI at SEMA in the above price range.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchief View Post
MHOP is that SPF has priced this car out of what most people are willing to pay.
Superformance does not price the car, Shelby does. It is not a Superformance product, it just happens to be built in the same factory that Superformance sources it's products from.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Superformance does not price the car, Shelby does. It is not a Superformance product, it just happens to be built in the same factory that Superformance sources it's products from.
Fair enough, but that said, seeing as SPF manufacture it, don't they set the wholesale price to Shelby?
So a little bit of fat for them a lot of fat for Shelby and there you go...
Old 01-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Fair enough, but that said, seeing as SPF manufacture it, don't they set the wholesale price to Shelby?
So a little bit of fat for them a lot of fat for Shelby and there you go...
No, SPF DO NOT manufacture it, Hi Tech Automotive does. Hi Tech and SPF are not the same, HT is the factory and SPF is the brand. They are no longer sister companies and only have a "supplier/purchaser" relationship.

Shelby sets the price point on the coupe. Obviously the cost factors in but Superformance has no control over that.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
No, SPF DO NOT manufacture it, Hi Tech Automotive does. Hi Tech and SPF are not the same, HT is the factory and SPF is the brand. They are no longer sister companies and only have a "supplier/purchaser" relationship.

Shelby sets the price point on the coupe. Obviously the cost factors in but Superformance has no control over that.
I had that statement in a composing window. Hi Tech Automotive is a contract manufacturer, they have built cars for Noble and others in the past.

(Edit: Ownership tree redacted - HiTech and SPF are separate)

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 01-22-2015 at 05:35 PM..
Old 01-22-2015, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No, SPF DO NOT manufacture it, Hi Tech Automotive does. Hi Tech and SPF are not the same, HT is the factory and SPF is the brand. They are no longer sister companies and only have a "supplier/purchaser" relationship..
Well then I stand corrected!
Why thank you and Apologies...

But really my point remains the same... Doesn't it?

A little fat here, a lot more fat there.

Ps. Fwiw then - on your logic, do I need to take back every time I've said SPF make a good roller? .
NewYorkGuy likes this.

Last edited by Dimis; 01-22-2015 at 02:03 PM..
Old 01-22-2015, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
That said, Hi Tech (the manufacturing arm), and Superformance (the retail arm) do have a common management/ownership.
To set the record straight, Superformance is completely and separately owned, operated and managed in the US while Hi-Tech Automotive group is completely and separately owned and operated and managed in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. The two are not even remotely one in the same, however they do of course share a mutual business relationship in the fact that Hi-Tech is the sole manufacturing source for Superformance.

The confusion may come from the past prior to 2005 when Hi-Tech and Superformance were one in the same. However, Hi-Tech owner Mr. James Price wanted to focus more on the manufacture of the cars, not in the marketing of them. Mr. Lance Stander who already had a Superformance dealership in California purchased the Superformance Brand and all licensing and marketing operations that went with it in 2005. Hi-Tech remained the supplier so while the product was unchanged, the separation of ownership has.

Superformance Owners Forum's SUPERFORMANCE NEWS

Hope that helps straighten out some of the confusion.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     
Wink

If I am reading correctly, Hi-Tech builds Cobra replicas and sells it to Superformance who then re-sells the same car/roller as a Superformance "licensed" Shelby Cobra?

Is it possible to buy a new Hi-Tech Cobra from the factory, or they just don't sell directly to customers, per business arrangement with Superformance?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post

That said, Hi Tech (the manufacturing arm), and Superformance (the retail arm) do have a common management/ownership.

No, they don't. Once upon a time, yes, but for the last NINE years that is NOT the case.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post

Is it possible to buy a new Hi-Tech Cobra from the factory, or they just don't sell directly to customers, per business arrangement with Superformance?
In a word, No. There is no such thing as a "Hi Tech Cobra" (not to be confused with the US based High Tech Cobra)

Is it possible to buy a Nissan Leaf from the factory in Japan? (I mean this, I don't know) And does Japanese electricity work in the US? Inquiring minds want to know!
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
In a word, No. There is no such thing as a "Hi Tech Cobra" (not to be confused with the US based High Tech Cobra)

Is it possible to buy a Nissan Leaf from the factory in Japan? (I mean this, I don't know) And does Japanese electricity work in the US? Inquiring minds want to know!
They're built in TN (USA).
Old 01-22-2015, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:

Is this how you conduct business as a car salesman? You and another cobra maker in florida "speak" in the same rude manner.

Nyg
Old 01-22-2015, 05:44 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
They're built in TN (USA).
Well now I have learned something.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Is this how you conduct business as a car salesman? You and another cobra maker in florida "speak" in the same rude manner.

Nyg
Geez....I guess I have lost your business. Please call me and let me know what "Cobra" you eventually purchase.

"Car Salesman"....nope, I sell "chassis", i.e. rollers and parts. The Florida guys sell "cars" which of course is not legal if they are not certified NHSTA/DOT approved vehicles.

Perhaps you need to see one of those fancy New York doctors for a "sense of humor" transplant.
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.