Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   My Porsche 9911S (991) vs Superformance on order (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/132309-my-porsche-9911s-991-vs-superformance-order.html)

Detroit Bill 01-26-2015 01:37 PM

My Porsche 9911S (991) vs Superformance on order

I was looking at some numbers and the difference in the stats between my Porsche and Superformance are great.

http://bill-stan.smugmug.com/photos/...-trfCHZL-M.jpg

My Hp and torque numbers are target but even if they fall short this car will be interesting to say the least.

Mark IV 01-26-2015 02:01 PM

Bill,

One of the major differences is the SPF will not be waterproof! I tell customers "do you know the difference between 'waterproof' and 'water resistant'?"

You will find you don't need to drive the Cobra fast to have fun, 45-55 MPH on the right road is a ball. And evening "ice cream runs" are a hoot.

66gtk 01-26-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark IV (Post 1337010)
Bill,

You will find you don't need to drive the Cobra fast to have fun, 45-55 MPH on the right road is a ball. And evening "ice cream runs" are a hoot.

EXACTLY!!!!! I can't do the same in my 500 HP late model Shelby. No fun until you hit illegal speeds....

Detroit Bill 01-26-2015 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark IV (Post 1337010)
Bill,

One of the major differences is the SPF will not be waterproof! I tell customers "do you know the difference between 'waterproof' and 'water resistant'?"

I am counting on that because the Porsche is going for sale in the spring.

patrickt 01-26-2015 05:59 PM

Bill, have you found anyone that will let you test drive their Cobra so you can see what it's like?

Detroit Bill 01-26-2015 06:12 PM

Patrick in a word no. Taking a leap of faith. I am pretty confident I know what I am getting into. I attempted to find a local ride but being December in Michigan when I tried there were not many options available.

I don't think I mentiond it here in the past but I had several motorcycles in the past also. Including a Kawasaki 500 triple 2 stroke. Look that up it is the Cobra of motorcycles. I also had some crotch rockets, I am good.

Thanks for your concern.

patrickt 01-26-2015 06:17 PM

Perfectly understandable. Most Cobra owners that I know would not let you drive their car. I let my brother drive mine and he almost killed us (and he is a 911 owner).:LOL: One thing though, if you're unusually tall, short, fat, long-legged, short legged, etc., you'll want to deal with that up front on the build.

NewYorkGuy 01-26-2015 06:28 PM

apples to steaks comparison

Porsche is the safer faster production car.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSEOkF-oiBM[/ame]

Detroit Bill 01-26-2015 06:41 PM

I am remarkably average 6 foot 190. I did sit in a new Superformance. The foot box is tight but there is no changing that with an FE. If you go smallblock you can get a larger footbox. They also sell spacers that tip the seat front up for a little more room but I don't think I will need that.

Mongoose930 01-26-2015 06:58 PM

Hi Bill,

I have had both a 911 Turbo and I am now on my second Cobra. In my opinion, the 911 Turbo is world's most perfect car: Drive it to the track in the morning with the AC on and the stereo blasting, hammer on it at the track all day, wash it, pick up the wife and valet park it at a nice restaurant for dinner. And it won't even matter if you get caught in the rain.

Thing is, you can't choose what you love and when I was done paying for college, I didn't buy another Porsche but I finally got my Cobra. Sold the first Cobra only so that I could build a more "accurate" replica.

I may own a Porsche again someday but only when I can't climb in and out of my Cobra:)

I think you will be happy with your decision.

Jim Vander Wal 01-27-2015 09:25 AM

Bill,
There are guys in the Detroit area that are your size or larger that are comfortable in the SPF. I'm sure that a ride could be arranged in the spring. Some remove the sliding seat mount to lower the seat.

You mention alternate foot boxes for small blocks. This must be new as I've never heard of that option. You might want to check your sources for accuracy.

Good luck on your car, hope to see you during the summer.

Jim 1855 & 2584

Detroit Bill 01-27-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Vander Wal (Post 1337113)
Bill,
There are guys in the Detroit area that are your size or larger that are comfortable in the SPF. I'm sure that a ride could be arranged in the spring. Some remove the sliding seat mount to lower the seat.

You mention alternate foot boxes for small blocks. This must be new as I've never heard of that option. You might want to check your sources for accuracy.

Jim 1855 & 2584

I got my information from Todd from Superformance so I think it is solid.
I did take in a lot of information that day so I may have misunderstood but I don't think so.

I should have a car by spring so hitching a ride shouldn't be necessary.

Tim7139 01-27-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Bill,

Jim 1855 & 2584

I would completely agree with this. Since my SPF ownership is less than 1 year, it takes a little bit to settle in but I'm 6'2" and very comfortable with the footbox. The angle requires some time but I am very nicely settled with the driving position.
As to the OP, I as well have had some 30 years Porsche experience including Turbo, C4S, and 356 Roadster and I would tell you the biggest difference IMHO is that while the cars are quite fun, thrilling drive, excellant balance, you must never forget, you're not in a safe coupe, no crush zones, good but not Porsche Brembo ABS brakes, these cars demand respect, need to be approached gradually, and can easily kill you as a reward for foolishness. Riding bikes is a great analogy because here, like there, you need to be an ultimate defensive driver. That said, they really are raw, unadulterated fun, enjoy.
It's probably why I also sold my Ducati, Triumph Sprint, and HD over the years and only have a 1966 Triumph 650, and 1946 Triumph 3T .
By the way, anybody looking for a near perfect, nut and bolt restored 1966 Triumph TR6R, let me know....probably going in the spring, now resting quietly in my study.

G-Pete 01-27-2015 10:56 AM

What ever you do hold on to your 3.8. I wish I could lay hand on a 3.8 and swap it with my 3.6. 80HP more and 300 pounds lighter than the 991 (996 here) aaaahhhhhh some mods and you push 500HP....
It looks like the displacement goes in future down and Porsche made the last "big one" with the 3.8l. There are rumors all 911 will be T/C and the top end with bi-turbos.
Nice combo Bill. There are some things you can't do in a Cobra - one is to go 185mph or kick butt on a track like this....:D

Fantastic car and driver.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG1yjaV3CII"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG1yjaV3CII[/ame]

dallas_ 01-27-2015 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroit Bill (Post 1337044)
Including a Kawasaki 500 triple 2 stroke. Look that up it is the Cobra of motorcycles.

OOhhhh.... I had me one of those too. WOW. That baby was a rocket! I can't believe I didn't get myself killed on that thing. Almost, but not quite.

You'll love the Cobra.

Dwight 01-27-2015 06:37 PM

Detroit Bill come to Florence, Alabama and we'll give you a ride. :)

Dwight

REAL 1 01-27-2015 07:32 PM

Butter and guns. Can't compare the two. They're that different.

Mark IV 01-28-2015 03:26 AM

Quote:

There are now three footbox configurations available. The old standard that will take a small or big block, an increased room "small block" option (no FE or 385 series will fit) and the "Modular" option for the mod motors and Coyotes.

Detroit Bill 01-28-2015 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight (Post 1337204)
Detroit Bill come to Florence, Alabama and we'll give you a ride. :)

Dwight

I'd love to.

Detroit Bill 01-28-2015 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REAL 1 (Post 1337215)
Butter and guns. Can't compare the two. They're that different.

I am sure they are. But in my case there will be a comparison. I am looking forward to it!