• 1 Post By Dwight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2015, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     
Default Oil filters driving me looney

The saga of my Superformance Cobra rebuild goes on. One of my oil filters is leaking. My tech has recommended ford racing filters since he feels they would be able to handle the heat and pressure of the Roush 427 SR engine that is in the car.
At this point I have come to realize that his approach is to throw money at any issue that comes along.
His recommendation is to use the Ford racing filter #6731-FL 300 but that part has been discontinued. His next suggestion is to bypass one of the filters since he feels the 2 filters are for looks only. To that I say bull s--t.

What filters are any of you using?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 02:03 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Use the Motorcraft FL1HP if they are not too long for the space. These are the production version used on 460 trucks and have the same thread and diameter as the FL1 and Ford racing FL1.

I doubt your Roush really needs a dual filter setup, he is right; most are installed for the "look" and not for the function.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-28-2015, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

Canton remote canister and their tall (4" something) cartridge. 3qt Accusump, Canton's oil thermostat and a Setrab 915 series oil cooler. Plumbed with AN-12 lines.

Are the spin on mating surfaces smooth & clean? The O-ring gaskets lubed before filter installation? Is the leak coming from somewhere other than the filter/mount area, perhaps an AN fitting?

Heat and pressure, what? What makes oil in a Roush 427 different than other small block Fords? Do you have more oil pressure, 50-60 is about normal? Heat, are you running road courses and spinning 4-7,000 all of the time?

I find that the water gets hot when sitting in traffic or at slow speeds, once at speed the water runs under 100C, never a problem. Oil is good at slow travel and engine speeds and doesn't become a heat problem until running hard on a road track, never an issue on the street even with the stock Mocal oil cooler.

Not sure if dual filters are necessary but it's your pleasure. They will offer additional flow restriction which may cause the oil pump to work harder. Life is full of trade-offs.

I'd look for another mechanic and other causes of the problems. There are a bunch of good spin on filters but I haven't run that style in many years.

Jim
Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance spo2815 roush 427sr polished
Not Ranked     

Have you look into a royal purple 30-8A filter? I just replaced mine today without any problem.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

I have a dual filter setup on my 482 and I use WIX Oil Filters - # 51515.
There was a long winded oil filter discussion here a couple of years ago and this was recommended by a lot of people. No problems yet but I don't cut them apart to see how well they work.....I also use Brad Penn racing oil to make the solid lifters last.

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 03-01-2015, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou1119 View Post
The saga of my Superformance Cobra rebuild goes on. One of my oil filters is leaking.

Thanks
The problem is rarely the filter. If it was, the problem would go away when you changed the filter. If you're not sure, switch positions of the filters.

The problem is in the cast aluminum base. Single or dual, they often leak for a variety of reasons: the base isn't flat, the base has imperfections, or it changes shape with the heat.

You could clean it really well, and add a slight smear of The Right Stuff. You best option is to replace it with billit components; but that's not cheap.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 03-01-2015, 07:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I think the dual filter is for looks.

Most of us change our oil and filter once a year or 3000 miles.

Have you cut open a filter to see what trash is inside?

After the second change your oil should be clean of all the engine building goop / trash. I change oil and filter after 30 minutes and again after 50 miles. Then once a year in the spring in my Cobra.

Most filters bypass at 15 psi or less, so most of the oil is not filter every time is passes thru the filter.

The Motorcraft FL1HP bypass is set at 30 psi. Has a heavier metal case than other production filters. Good filter for $13.

I can't find the link to oil filter site. But here are a couple on oil. Oil filter is a world of it's own.
And oil, I think you need to be a engineer just to understand part of it. But it's fun to read when there is nothing on TV.

If you want the real story look at your bearing wear. If there are a lot of scratches then you have trash in your oil.

Dwight

Used Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Morris likes this.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55312 View Post
I have a dual filter setup on my 482 and I use WIX Oil Filters - # 51515.

Tim
Ditto on the WIX filters here and running Joe Gibbs XP3 oil. No issues.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

If dual filters are plumbed in parallel the oil flow should increase due to less friction loss, thus providing for more oil through the engine. If plumbed in series a reduction in flow may result.

If for some reason there is some kind of post filter blockage the canister may get over pressurized and leak, but at that point other problems of greater consequence may arise.