Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

Coming back from the Texas Cobra Club spring meet in San Marcos, I was on I 10 doing 70. The 315's in the back were almost bald. It starts raining, hard and fast. I'm slowing on the verge of hydroplaning, but then the pavement changes from a well exposed aggregate to fresh, smooth asphalt that looked like glass. It seemed to take forever to slow from 60 to 35 where the back tires were able to keep the car straight as I took both lanes and the shoulder. Add to this drama, I couldn't see though the water on both sides of the windshield and my glasses, and none of the other cars whizzing by seemed to have any appreciation to the peril I was in with my wide skis on the rear.

All of my scary moments involve rain. When I am intentionally sliding it, I'm excited, but not scared.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I've had a few.

Hit 148 next to a GT40 on 71 west with Bernie Knight looking over at me from the passenger seat - there was some real fear. LOL

Water puddle on a street when lighting up the tires - car went sideways - on two tires. Thought I was going to roll.

Got some Audi that wanted to play - lit up the tires at 35, smoke everywhere and went sideways. Almost hit the Audi.

Wife driving - her and a Ferarri going at it. Wasn't sure the Ferarri knew she was just playing.

Just a few.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Sweeping lefthand freeway onramp, @ 50 in 2nd gear....right on the torque curve....and 'bam' I'm looking at a huge mountain of concrete. I was able to straighten in out, shift into 3rd and continue on my way without either hitting the wall/berm or collecting another car.

This was pretty early in the car's life and taught me a couple things, mostly about not doing stupid stuff in traffic.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fiberfab international classic cobra
Not Ranked     

With less than a year driving a Cobra. I was on Sunday am drive with new "DOT approved racing tires". Dog runs into my path. I swerve to right going about 45mph. Right rear tire picks up gravel and I am on marbles- I tap brakes and car spins. I get it out of spin just in time to glance off a mesquite tree. Had it not been for the roll bar and safety harness - the tree would have struck my head. Car rebuilt and back on road with much more street friendly Cooper Cobras and a driver with a healthy respect for and much better knowledge of how to drive these things. [IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 03-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

This one comes to mind:

On my way to a car gathering, me and a friendly Carrera GT (10 cyl) were apparently headed to the same place . I started out a few cars behind but jogged past him, no problem, with plenty of pedal left.
I then remembered my wife was sitting next to me.

Wait, is this the scariest moment thread, or stupidest moment thread?
Old 03-05-2015, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly View Post
With less than a year driving a Cobra. I was on Sunday am drive with new "DOT approved racing tires". Dog runs into my path. I swerve to right going about 45mph. Right rear tire picks up gravel and I am on marbles- I tap brakes and car spins. I get it out of spin just in time to glance off a mesquite tree. Had it not been for the roll bar and safety harness - the tree would have struck my head. Car rebuilt and back on road with much more street friendly Cooper Cobras and a driver with a healthy respect for and much better knowledge of how to drive these things. [IMG]
[/IMG]
Might I inquire what "DOT approved racing tires" precipitated the spin?
I looked at quite a few.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
This one comes to mind:

On my way to a car gathering, me and a friendly Carrera GT (10 cyl) were apparently headed to the same place . I started out a few cars behind but jogged past him, no problem, with plenty of pedal left.
I then remembered my wife was sitting next to me.

Wait, is this the scariest moment thread, or stupidest moment thread?
My wife has game, I am not sure how she would react to that situation.

She was the oldest "boy" of three girls which disappointed her car nut father. So for her highschool car they built a 50's Ford Pickup with a 455 worked out Olds engine. It was truly a deathtrap, totally stock suspension and brakes. She lived in a small community and the police brought her home when they caught her racing. She got in all kinds of trouble from her father, when she told him she was losing when the police stopped them.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

I've had a couple of "break-it loose" moments but opening the insurance bill is the scariest for me.

-Greg
Old 03-05-2015, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok, so this was not in my Cobra. It was in my Beck Lister. I had finished the car a few weeks earlier. I was out for a drive and stopped for a red light at a busy 4 way intersection. I wanted to see the shift light flash for the first time. With clutch pedal in I gassed the engine to the 6,000 rpm shift point. I just saw the light when the clutch fully engaged. I shot across the intersection before being able to stop. Fortunately I didn't hit anything.

I was using a HYD throw out bearing. I hadn't secured the braided lines well enough and they were sucked into the pressure plate which severed them.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bill, I have only driven the Cobra tribute that I built using LS6 engine, T56 transmission, and C5 Corvette suspension. I built the frame and it is very stiff in torsion.

The Beck Lister used C4 Corvette suspension which was narrowed. I found that the front suspension pick up points were wrong and the 5 link rear suffered from too high of a roll center. The Beck was advertised as being under 2000lbs. But, even built with padding only as seats and an aluminum head chevy 355 it weighed over 2300lbs.

In every category my C5 Cobra tribute is a better handling and driving car.

My Cobra doesn't have the brute nature of an original/replica with a 427 engine. But, it is very quick, has great brakes, suspension, steering, and can be driven and serviced as any Corvette would be.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by john chesnut View Post
Bill, I have only driven the Cobra tribute that I built using LS6 engine, T56 transmission, and C5 Corvette suspension. I built the frame and it is very stiff in torsion.

The Beck Lister used C4 Corvette suspension which was narrowed. I found that the front suspension pick up points were wrong and the 5 link rear suffered from too high of a roll center. The Beck was advertised as being under 2000lbs. But, even built with padding only as seats and an aluminum head chevy 355 it weighed over 2300lbs.

In every category my C5 Cobra tribute is a better handling and driving car.

My Cobra doesn't have the brute nature of an original/replica with a 427 engine. But, it is very quick, has great brakes, suspension, steering, and can be driven and serviced as any Corvette would be.
Sorry for the confusion. I deleted my question I had the lister confused with another car. But thanks for answering anyway.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Shortly after parking my car in the grass at a cruise in/car show, a little kid with bare feet stepped up on my sidepipes to look in my car.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I guess one of my scariest moments was hitting a patch of oil that another car had dumped on the track. The spinning wasn't so scary but the thought of another car coming around that corner and doing the same and hitting me was.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-06-2015, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 289 FIA 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I was tracking Carmen and after a straight away that leads into a chicane, i downshifted and she started turning before I did. My driver side rear blew out. Everything happened so fast, however, I had time to think about how much body damage I was going to have as well as a broken wheel and assorted other damage.

Thankfully, I only had a flat tire and flat bottom side pipe!
Old 03-06-2015, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

Overtaking some car that was doing 30 MPH - I had shifted down to second gear and floored it to hear the echo off the adjoining quarry face, by the time I got past him and turned back in was doing significantly more than 30, unfortunately I wasn't thinking and came off the power fairly suddenly as I turned in (still in second), she stepped very sideways very suddenly, but some quick opposite lock and a bit of throttle saved the day, I won't do that again.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
How about doing over 130 at the drag strip and have a half shaft break. Car came within 6 inches of the right hand concrete wall, as I struggled to keep it straight, I crossed in front on the car I was racing. Pulling it back into my lane, I went through the lights sideways at 10.22
Ask this guy how it feels when you touch the wall....

Hotfingrs likes this.
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 03-06-2015, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Pete View Post
Ask this guy how it feels when you touch the wall....

That does not look, good what are we looking at? End of quarter mile??
Are you the driver?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR5, 300hp of entertainment
Not Ranked     

I took an early May ski trip to Mammoth Mt. My timing was off. A severe winter storm came in a lot faster than anticipated. Had to drive over Carson Pass at 8500ft. The storm had lightening, hail, freezing rain and heavy snow. I don't have a top but I did have my electric vest turned up high. I had to reach over the windshield to knock the ice off so I could see. That was 40 miles of terror. The storm came in so fast I had no place to hide. I did see a Harley parked on the side of the road with about 8in of snow on the seat
Old 03-06-2015, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

It seems to rain on me every time I get 200+ miles from home.
joyridin' likes this.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

I sure hope no insurance agents are lurking on this thread ! Who started this anyway ?
Bill ? What do you do for a living Bill?