Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2015, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

I've always found it interesting people comparing differences to "the originals" when "the originals" differed so much from each other.

While I've only seen about a dozen original cars, I don't think that 2 of them have been the same
Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None. Yet.
Not Ranked     

As somebody who doesn't own a Cobra but who has been obsessing about it for 30 years, my take on FFR has evolved. Back in '99 when I started to earn money I had my eyes on FFR; they seemed to embody the perfect DIY Cobra model, and in many ways I think they still do. As my eye for the differences between Cobra replicas has become more keen, my interest in what is "correct" versus what has been "interpreted" by makers has improved. While the originals differed some from each other, things like the FFR MkI-MkIII have always stood out as being a noticeable, albeit attractive, deviation from the original. While I agree the FFR MkIV looks closer to the originals than its predecessors, the doors/sides seems a bit too tall.

For whatever reason, I can tells it's a Superformance or FFR MkI-MkIII from a 100 yards away just looking at the profile. Other 90" wheelbase cars are a little tougher: ERAs, Uniques, Hurricanes seem to have the most original-like body to my eyes, but things like radiator angle give it away as you start to get a front-on view.

Different cars for different people with different wants. They're all gorgeous.
jolsen42 likes this.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERAL View Post
The new bodies were digitized from a REAL Cobra. Dick Smiths Cobra
but the molds failed.

You can't reverse a multi-million dollar machine. The FF5 is THE Cobra roadster for kid builders based on Mustang and Ford available parts/donors. Wrong arches, too wide in the front and rear, sideways seats, and so forth.

Nerveless, Smith made all efforts to make an icon available to the enthusiastic builder - good value for the buck and a good customer support. Even as a non FF5 owner I was able to discuss front suspension geometry with FF5.

Hats up to this!

FF5 answered the market - you get what you asked for.

It is still a mystery to me, nobody offers just a correct trunk lid for all the FF5's. In the end anyone can identify a FF5 on a perky or a wrong "butt" (plate light/handle don't fit)... a easy to charge $500 fix.

Sorry I hate fiber glassing - so don't ask me.
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 03-30-2015, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Pete View Post
It is still a mystery to me, nobody offers just a correct trunk lid for all the FF5's.
I got my trunk lid from Sankuer Composites. Not sure if they still make them or not.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 1774 / 392 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I don't know, but I'm willing to bet you can expect an impending beat down and butt kicking if you continue with your no-value-added posts and trolling ways.
Nothing against you personally, but if you don't like the whole Cobra replica thing and the culture/people associated with it; nothing wrong with that, but why don't you just go away? You're free to do so, you know.
Darn, I thought he was gone!!! It was so nice around here with out him!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Pete View Post
but the molds failed.

You can't reverse a multi-million dollar machine. The FF5 is THE Cobra roadster for kid builders based on Mustang and Ford available parts/donors. Wrong arches, too wide in the front and rear, sideways seats, and so forth.

Nerveless, Smith made all efforts to make an icon available to the enthusiastic builder - good value for the buck and a good customer support. Even as a non FF5 owner I was able to discuss front suspension geometry with FF5.

Hats up to this!

FF5 answered the market - you get what you asked for.

It is still a mystery to me, nobody offers just a correct trunk lid for all the FF5's. In the end anyone can identify a FF5 on a perky or a wrong "butt" (plate light/handle don't fit)... a easy to charge $500 fix.

Sorry I hate fiber glassing - so don't ask me.
I ran into the same issue on the trunk lid and grafted in a correct shape. A few have made molds but nobody has been able to make a go of it. Not sure why.

Just so everyone is clear: The "perky butt" normally is reference to the entire rear of the body sitting a few inches too high and makes it look like the car was rear ended and incorrectly repaired. The pointed trunk lid is another issue. Both have been corrected on the current cars, but it seems there is some sort of trunk handle/plate interference issue on them. Not sure what that's all about.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
I ran into the same issue on the trunk lid and grafted in a correct shape. A few have made molds but nobody has been able to make a go of it. Not sure why.

Just so everyone is clear: The "perky butt" normally is reference to the entire rear of the body sitting a few inches too high and makes it look like the car was rear ended and incorrectly repaired. The pointed trunk lid is another issue. Both have been corrected on the current cars, but it seems there is some sort of trunk handle/plate interference issue on them. Not sure what that's all about.
Me either but I suspect the rear frame tubing is a bit high and causes the latch to have to be mounted a little higher up on the rear of the trunk lid - causing interference with the license plate. It would seem they would fix this. I mean we all have to run a license plate.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How about making a plate to fit the space it worked for me.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
How about making a plate to fit the space it worked for me.
You made the plate for your car? You on the cast of Lock Up or something?
Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR5, 300hp of entertainment
Not Ranked     

I've got an early MKII with 120k miles on it now. I built it for the Cobra driving experience. I can't see the perky butt while I'm driving so it doesn't matter to me. It's all about the driving not showing at car shows or shopping centers. I'm a converted motorcyclist who likes to do a 100 mile run early Sunday morning To Alice's in Woodside. I would really like to drive with a like minded Cobra owner. In the meantime I run with the bikers.
dallas_ likes this.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKIII, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam
Not Ranked     

Hey Drake are you coming down to the HB cruise-in on the 25th?

I have a MKIII with a MKIV trunk, so no pointy license plate for me. The MKIV truck is a bolt-on replacement and helps "deflate" the rear end a bit. After seeing the MKIV trunk I decided to keep my extras trunk space and not do a "dropped butt" mod that is fairly popular with the pre-MKIV crowd. To fit the plate I simply notched the bottom of the plate. I've never had and issue from law enforcement about it. I suspect this is what mdross1 meant.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

My old Contemporary had the same problem. Cut the plate to fit around the light and around the handle bezel.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2015, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Same issue on my Midstates.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

FFR used a bum scanner....
Seen both and 3035 is different, very much so........

No knock on FFR, their frames are top notch, typical builds are top notch and performance better than originals.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 04-03-2015 at 01:23 PM..
Old 04-03-2015, 04:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dallas,

What I did on my Cobra to get around that problem was to take the release handle out and have that fiber glassed in and painted. I then put an inside trunk release in the car and also a manual one in a hidden spot. I wasn't concerned about mine looking original as nothing about it was and that gave me plenty of room to mount a license plate bracket and holder below the light.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
Same issue on my Midstates.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-03-2015, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - 5.0
Not Ranked     

My "perky butt" Mark 3.1 has taken me places, introduced me to people, and given me experiences that I never imagined. It has been in a movie, numerous photo shoots, winery tours, cruises, and track days. And it was a blast to build.

Other than the true Cobra experts, no one seems to care that the butt is too high, the flares are too whimpy, or the sides aren't correct. What I do hear, every time I drive it is "cool car" and "beautiful". And every one of the 15,000 plus miles I have driven have been a joy.

Arch
dallas_ and bruin_d like this.

Last edited by Arch F; 04-03-2015 at 06:16 AM..
Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Hard to argue with sucess. And your license plate fits too. Nice car.

Last edited by DanEC; 04-03-2015 at 08:45 AM..
Old 04-03-2015, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch F View Post
My "perky butt" Mark 3.1 has taken me places, introduced me to people, and given me experiences that I never imagined. It has been in a movie, numerous photo shoots, winery tours, cruises, and track days. And it was a blast to build.

Other than the true Cobra experts, no one seems to care that the butt is too high, the flares are too whimpy, or the sides aren't correct. What I do hear, every time I drive it is "cool car" and "beautiful". And every one of the 15,000 plus miles I have driven have been a joy.

Arch
Well said, and congrats on enjoying your Cobra. I suspect with your positive outlook that you enjoy most other aspects of your life as well. Happiness is the most critical measure of success in life and by the sound of it, you've hit a bases-loaded home run with your Cobra project.
bruin_d likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 04-11-2015, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

G Pete... where did you get the notion that F5 was for kids or built by kids or what ever it was you said. I don't know where you been hanging, but it sure is not with the F5 crowed. And what parts do the rest of the cars use. Except the Shelbys, Superformance, Kirkham, ERA.. I know they are a different league, but also a whole heck of a lot more cash.
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG

Last edited by RACERAL; 04-11-2015 at 06:48 PM..
Old 04-11-2015, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Al, I think that was a typo, he (G Pete) likely meant kit builders, not kid builders, lol.