21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Bottom line is it is a dying hobby..
I agree. I just don't see the next generation dropping six figures for an obscure toy that sits in the garage untouched 99.9% of the time (but still manages to break down). Unless, of course, six figures is "throw away" money to you. ERA, Kirkham, Shelby, and the others are surely smart enough to see that the current owners of the companies can probably ride it to the end, but I don't see it remaining profitable beyond 20 years, if that.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

I wish you luck, but if you find a Backdraft or SPF for less than $40K, either it's a fire sale or there's something wrong with it. I have seen many very nice FFRs in your price range.
jbcobra67 likes this.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
GT11, in that respect I would suggest that you add an issue to your "must have" list...the engine really SHOULD be an FE. As you well know, there were two different body styles (not counting the Daytona Cobras.....have you considered one of those?), the "289" body style and the "427" body style. From the items in which you have expressed interest, it appears you are in the market for one of the 427 body style replicas.
I totally disagree. Watch Cobra Country - SPFs and Backdrafts sell very quickly and hold their value and it's extremely rare to see either with a FE. I sold my Hunter with a fuel injected SBF and auto transmission on CC in less than a week for my initial asking price.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Vintage Porsche 550 Spyder
Not Ranked     

Wow, I am away from the computer for a few hours and the forum blows up!

To give a little more background on what I must have or want, the list is short. I want a 427SC, IRS, Blue w/ white stripes and would prefer a 427FE. I want to be able to trust the build so that is why I want a car that is built by a manufacturer. At 6'3", I also need to fit in the car.

I know the Cobra won't drive like my Mercedes or be as reliable (but it can't be worse than the Maserati I owned); I won't put 20,000 miles per year on it (I only put 5K in 18 months on my Wrangler JK) and I am pretty realistic here. I think the Cobra is one of the most pleasing to the eye cars you can buy.

As I look to buy my next toy, I struggle with it because not many cars excite me anymore. The Cobra was one I liked for a long time. I haven't spent much time in a Cobra and I may hate it. But if I hate it, I sell it and get something else. I will be as excited to look at it as I am to drive it.

A lot of you are very serious about your Cobras, which is great. It is great to have that passion but I am not that passionate about the Cobra (or most cars anymore). At the end of the day, it is a toy. Not only is it a toy, but it is a replica (a very expensive replica, too). The replica market came about when very desirable cars were out of reach of most and this was an affordable way for someone to somewhat experience a work of art that they couldn't own otherwise. Now we have entered an escalating arms race in the replica market where prices are going through the roof. Some may even call it a bubble.

Will a new BDR at $60K be as great as used SPF at $60K? To me it doesn't matter. I just want this work of art to grace my garage for a while. If I really cared about which one was truly better, I would buy the real thing (which may not really be better). I can afford it even though it would be short lived because my wife would probably kill me!

At the end of the day, I started documenting my search to develop a relationship with guys that like this awesome car, knowing that under the hood there are a lot of warts. I also value all of the feedback that you give because it helps my learning curve. I would probably be as happy with a FFR as the BDR or SPF and I may change at some point and go that route. Right now I am having fun getting to know you guys and I am enjoying the chase.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This thread is depressing.

The OP has lost the passion to own/drive most cars and really isn't sure he wants a Cobra. But if he does find one cheap enough, below market, he may buy it, try to enjoy it and then will eventually sell it to move on to the next thing. Short-term owner at best.

Patrick and madmaxx think cars are a dying breed and the hobby will cease to exist in 20 years +/-.

And now Patrick is displaying early onset dementia.

Old Jaguars, Mercedes, Porsches and Ferraris...BORING! The list of possible candidates is so diverse that it makes no sense to me. $12,000 cars to $400,000 cars. Just my opinion, but I think the whole search thing is BS.

BTW, I own both a Cobra and a 911 and they're completely different cars. 180 degrees polar opposite different.

A Beck 550? Oy vey. POS and you won't be able to sell it. At least quickly.
JLip likes this.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

I have a customer with an SPF blue/white that is Windsor powered. In the $40's but has miles on it. However we did a recent refresh of the engine as well as other upgrades (a new TKO600, etc.) as well as hardtop (which is an easy sell if you do not want it). He is a motivated seller due to some family circumstances.

If you would like to talk to him PM or email me and I will put you in touch.
jbcobra67 likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-20-2015, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB View Post
I totally disagree. Watch Cobra Country - SPFs and Backdrafts sell very quickly and hold their value and it's extremely rare to see either with a FE. I sold my Hunter with a fuel injected SBF and auto transmission on CC in less than a week for my initial asking price.
IMHO, you were lucky, although I am sure that your Hunter was worth the price they paid you, they are very nice cars.

In general, though, I stand by my comments regarding the FE engine enhancing the possibility of getting a car sold and getting the asking price. Those who want a real REPLICA will want the FE in the Big Block body style because it is what came from the factory...no small blocks were ever sold by Shelby in the 427 body style to my knowledge. I know that in my case when the hood is opened that discriminating buyer who is looking for the car he really wanted as a younger man (yes, I agree with the previous comments that when those of us who were "younger men" at the time the original Shelbys were being built in the early-to-mid 1960's are gone the market for our replicas will soften considerably) will not be impressed with my SBF, as nice as it is...it just isn't going to do it for him. The only reason it "did it" for me was the price I paid for a car I could drove home....it was WELL under $20K. My daughter paid more for her new Honda Civic than I paid for my Cobra replica. I looked long and hard for a 289 body style with the small block engine in my price range, but alas it was not to be, so in the end I accepted the body style I did not want just to get into an affordable car. I view that attitude as being in a "minority", because as GT11 says these are TOYS (although every day I can drive mine to work, I do so) and expensive toys, at that.

For someone who enjoys the buying and selling of this sort of toy, which may very well be GT11 given the cars he's already said he's owned, the search for that car that really stirs the soul is part of the passion and for MOST (notice I did not say "All") of those with enough disposable income to pay cash for one of our TOYS the impetus is to get the toy they wanted as "younger men"...ergo, they will want something that is as close to what Shelby was selling back then as possible.

Having said that, though, if GT11 really can afford to buy the "real thing", then he doesn't really need to settle for a Replica that may very well deteriorate in value, or may be lucky to hold their value...IMHO he needs to buy one of the "real thing" originals and enjoy the ride in the Jeep to the bank when he sells it for a huge profit!

Me...I'm certainly happy puttering around town in my replica, since as a retired teacher I'll NEVER be able to afford an original. The only reason I might sell mine is to help finance a Daytona or a GT40 (although I might consider an ERA 289FIA replica...I mean after all, it's what I have wanted for 50 years)! I think I really need a 4-season TOY and the SPF Daytona has roll-up windows, for goodness sake, so with A/C and heat it's a 4-season car!

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rod knock, you are on the Hull Truth, aren't you?! Only other THT guys will get that.

MarkIV, I sent you a PM.

Dugly, one of the reasons I don't buy the real thing is because you are limited to how much you can drive it...something that nice would be hidden away like some of the nicer scotches I have. Just one of my quirks.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
I have a customer with an SPF blue/white that is Windsor powered. In the $40's but has miles on it. However we did a recent refresh of the engine as well as other upgrades (a new TKO600, etc.) as well as hardtop (which is an easy sell if you do not want it). He is a motivated seller due to some family circumstances.

If you would like to talk to him PM or email me and I will put you in touch.
I'm sold on it...
In a car like this miles are NOT a negative.
In fact for me they are often a positive.
Rubber tends to perish with age.
Miles show the car works. More miles often suggest it works better.

Just my 2cents.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I am not so pessimistic about the replica market. It has up tics and down tics to it but seems to hold up. There are so few Cobras out there they draw lots of attention wherever they go.

I think the age group tends to be older, partially being driven by when the income becomes available to be able to buy a replica.

Phil
Old 05-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
And now Patrick is displaying early onset dementia.
I had a pretty snappy comeback for that remark... but now I can't remember what it was.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If I could afford an original but didn't want to be constrained by mileage than a Kirkham is a no brainer.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT11 View Post
Wow, I am away from the computer for a few hours and the forum blows up!

To give a little more background on what I must have or want, the list is short. I want a 427SC, IRS, Blue w/ white stripes and would prefer a 427FE. I want to be able to trust the build so that is why I want a car that is built by a manufacturer. At 6'3", I also need to fit in the car.
Sorry, but you might as well buy something else on your list, because you're not going to meet that list of requirements for $40K. You're going to have a difficult time meeting those requirements for $75K.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT11 View Post
Dugly, one of the reasons I don't buy the real thing is because you are limited to how much you can drive it...something that nice would be hidden away like some of the nicer scotches I have. Just one of my quirks.
The market for original Shelby products may be softening...at the collector auctions the Shelby GT350 and GT500 Mustangs are not bringing what they use to. There has to be a ceiling somewhere.

I am informed that there are two owners of original Shelby Cobras in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area who drive theirs on the street regularly. I would be a bit shy about doing so, too.

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB View Post
Sorry, but you might as well buy something else on your list, because you're not going to meet that list of requirements for $40K. You're going to have a difficult time meeting those requirements for $75K.
Eh you never know. GT11 might be able to fleece some old guy of his Cobra. Early signs of dementia can be difficult to diagnose. Just ask Patrick, although he may not remember.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
ust ask Patrick, although he may not remember.
I'm just hoping they'll take us to the park this weekend so we can see the ducks....
Old 05-21-2015, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter - 427
Not Ranked     
Default Replica

I'm on my second cobra, first was Antique & Collectable, very nice car. I now have a hunter, solid built car, it has a pro built 427BBC making 450hp with an auto trans, trans is not that hard to change in these cars, if a stick is wanted. I didn't think I would like the auto, but I have to say it's not bad because mine is for cruising. It has C4 corvette suspension which means independent rear. QA1 on the front. Disc brakes all around, big C5 on front. I would let mine go for 40,000 even 39,000 on a cash buy, that's not even braking even. I would love to build a Factory5 33 hotrod. That's my next "toy", otherwise I'll keep this and really enjoy it. This car scales at 2650 and is scary fast, but very drivable for cruising. Oh and it is the 96" wheel base version which makes for more leg room. And the paint is excellent on this car. It is a real crowd favorite at shows, and anywhere you stop, get ready for many questions and pics. I almost forgot it has about 1200 miles on it.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok guys, I will be of pocket for the next couple of weeks and may not be able to check the forum. I didn't want you to think I had abandoned the search!
Old 07-03-2015, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Our businesses has kept me busy for the last month and I am not sure when it will let up. It really slowed down my search and caused me to miss a couple of really nice cars; one was a SPF that went for $42K and a BDR that went for $37K.

However......last week while visiting one of the companies, I got a tip on a car and dropped by to see it on the way to the airport. Not a Cobra, but #2 on the list. It was a 1956 Porsche 550 Spyder replica. The car was/is in excellent shape and is loaded with goodies. The price was right so I took delivery of it yesterday. I spent all day today cleaning it up and fixing a few minor issues. It is an absolute blast to drive...at 1200 pounds, it is fast and handles like a dream.

I haven't abandoned my cobra search however. I am still looking but work will keep the search slow for the next 6 months to a year. I have a tip on a BDR that is a little over priced but hopefully time on the market without interest will bring the price down.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2015, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very nice! 550's are one of my favorites!
Larry