Old 07-04-2015, 01:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
This thread is depressing.

The OP has lost the passion to own/drive most cars and really isn't sure he wants a Cobra. But if he does find one cheap enough, below market, he may buy it, try to enjoy it and then will eventually sell it to move on to the next thing. Short-term owner at best.

Patrick and madmaxx think cars are a dying breed and the hobby will cease to exist in 20 years +/-.

And now Patrick is displaying early onset dementia.

Old Jaguars, Mercedes, Porsches and Ferraris...BORING! The list of possible candidates is so diverse that it makes no sense to me. $12,000 cars to $400,000 cars. Just my opinion, but I think the whole search thing is BS.

BTW, I own both a Cobra and a 911 and they're completely different cars. 180 degrees polar opposite different.

A Beck 550? Oy vey. POS and you won't be able to sell it. At least quickly.
I totally agree......I have a buddy that has a shell, motor, and tranny for cheap....Build it, play with it, then sell it.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Looks great - well done!
Old 07-04-2015, 05:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT11 View Post
Our businesses has kept me busy for the last month and I am not sure when it will let up. It really slowed down my search and caused me to miss a couple of really nice cars; one was a SPF that went for $42K and a BDR that went for $37K.

However.......
It's not a Cobra. Big difference. Your Cobra fever has probably broken and you're now coming to your senses. Look, since your business is taking up your time, do this: Put $42k in to a dedicated account. Then, every time you miss a Cobra opportunity "because of business" write a check for $5k and put it in to that account. Not only will your Cobra choice options now grow, making it easier to find that primo Cobra, but when you finally do throw in the towel you'll have a nice cash account waiting for you.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

There's a guy I'm my neighborhood who drives one of those and dresses up like the Red Baron when he takes it out.

Good luck, but ugh.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Vintage Porsche 550 Spyder
Not Ranked     

Ok, no Red Barron outfits.

No, it's not a Cobra but a replica sports car no the less. It will help cool the fever and will be my gate way drug until I find the right cobra. I was starting to loose my patience in my search and this will give me a toy to play with while I continue to search. Once I find the right car, I will buy it then decide if I want three toys or two. I have garage space for one more car besides the Jeep and Spyder (plus our two everyday drivers).

Over the next year we are doubling one business and I am trying to make one or two acquisitions for the other businesses. This will force me to limit my search to Texas and Louisiana.

I did run across two Uniques for sale for under 30k. One was in Arizona and one in Alabama.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh brother! There's nothing wrong with the Beck Spyder. It's a blast to drive and can be built powerful enough to get anyone in trouble. It has a few inaccuracies as a replica but so does every replica Cobra.
They have their own forum too if/when you have questions. Can you do one favor for me though... look into buying the aluminum covers that go under the wheels and cover up the brake drum! And never, NEVER switch it to 4 lug hubs!
Larry
Old 07-04-2015, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Lets see a shot of the motor.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What an opportunity. Think about it. A Beck Spyder vs. a high quality Cobra replica. It really is the classic sports car battle. Take them out to the local track and see who wins.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 07-04-2015, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually the car is a Vintage instead of a Beck. I liked the way Vintage does the tubular frame instead of the Beck style. This car is turnkey minus like the BDR's and SPF's. My car has a CB Performance Turnkey engine, 308 duration x 410 lift cams, 044 heads with stainless valves, dual Webers, etc, etc, etc. It doesn't sound like an air cooled engine. This one has a 0-60 in the mid 5 second range and handles like it is glued to the track. Some of these pack up to 200 hp and with a 1200 pound curb weight, they are in the low 4's for a 0-60 time.

You can't see much of the engine because it has a 911 shroud for cooling. It has five lug wheels, front disc and rear drum but I may replace the rear with disc also or at least send them to my powder coating company have have them coated.

Make no mistake about the performance of this car. Porsche used it to beat the 12 cylinder Ferrari's 10 years before Shelby came along. This car put Porsche on the racing map. Only 90 were produced, with 12 going to race teams and 78 for sale to the public. James Dean made it famous by dying in one.

I will get a picture of the engine tomorrow....I already buttoned everything up today since we are having a get together with the neighbors.

I joined the Spyder forum recently too.

Last edited by GT11; 07-04-2015 at 05:11 PM..
Old 07-04-2015, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What size is the engine?
Larry
Old 07-04-2015, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is 1915 cc.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good engine! Some of the bigger ones don't work well in a street car.
Larry