Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2015, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C, Ford 427 Side-oiler 2x4 bbl
Not Ranked     
Default "Typing" Brake Fluid?

I'm a life-long professional Auto Tech (Mechanic) and I've never found the need to do this before but...

I own ERA #446 and the clutch fluid is getting low. It's right at the port for the feed line to the MC and needs to be topped off.

The problem is, I have NO idea what type of brake fluid is presently in it. I've seen customer cars where someone put the wrong type of fluid in and I have NO intention of dealing with a ruined hydraulic system myself. It is NOT pretty.

AND...I have NO idea how I can determine what type of BF is presently in it.

I was thinking I could pull a small sample out of the reservoir and test it by adding/mixing in each of the different types of fluid to see if I get an adverse reaction from each type (Dot 3, Dot 5, etc).

But I'm still not sure that would be fail-safe.

Does anyone know a better way to "type" the brake fluid that's in the clutch reservoir???

I mean, other than taste?

Scratching my head,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO
Old 04-30-2015, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Exact 427 Carbon Car
Not Ranked     

Phill,
Usually when the fluid drops it is either leaking or the pad are wearing out and allowing the reservoir to drop. The only drawback to adding I can think of is when you replace your pads and push the piston back in it will push all that fluid to the reservoir and overflow the stuff you added earlier. First I'd look to be sure you are not leaking out somewhere.

Word on the street is you should change your fluid once a year to prevent moisture absorption. Pick a hi temperature fluid you like and purge the system. Going forward you will know what to use.

Currently I am using Wilwood fluid in my Cobra. The other cars I track use Motul. No brand loyalty just what I had at the time in Hi temperature. Also some people like to rotate two different colors of fluid to make it easier to top off with the right kind.

Good Luck,
Richard
Exact 427
Old 04-30-2015, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I CANNOT attest to the validity of this link, but here is one opinion.
TEST
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 04-30-2015, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Pollard View Post
I was thinking I could pull a small sample out of the reservoir and test it by adding/mixing in each of the different types of fluid to see if I get an adverse reaction from each type (Dot 3, Dot 5, etc).

That will work. There's really only 2 types of brake fluid to be concerned about: Silicon, and not silicone. All the silicones mix, and all the non-silicones mix. But you can't mix a silicone with a non-silicone - they clot.

BTW, Have we met?
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 04-30-2015, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

For what it's worth, ERA pretty strongly recommends against silicone brake fluid in their cars due to incompatibility with the seals in the Tilton master cylinders. Your car is several years old so it may not have Tilton master cylinders. But if the prior owners were paying attention to ERA they probably used DOT 3 or 4 fluid.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone, for your help. It sounds like I was on the right track and had thought about trying to mix it with water too so, I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks again,

Old 05-05-2015, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
BTW, Have we met?

I'm not sure, have we? If we haven't, we probably should. After checking out your profile it looks like we have just about everything in common.

I grew up being a "Chevy Guy" (okay, GM to be more accurate) but more recently I discovered I'm a Ford guy and my stable is dominated by Fords.

My wife has a Ford Fusion and her last vehicle was a Ford Flex.

I have a 2010 Shelby Mustang GT500, a 2012 F-150 Raptor and my ERA Cobra with a 427FE side oiler registered as a 1966 Ford.

I also have two Harley-Davidson's. My "baby" is a '92 FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic moderately modified with a S&S 89" stroker kit (incl. E series carb, 560 cam, Branch #4 heads, Thunderheader, etc. etc. etc.).

My comfort cruiser is a 2000 FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic, also (mildly) modified with a Zippers Performance Torque-king 95" kit (incl. CNC heads, Redshift cams, 44mm SE modified carb, DTT ign., etc. etc. etc.).

I'm always looking for events to participate in or spectate so I'm out and about as much as I can be. If you hear of events, by all means contact me and we can get together and trade lies!

My e-mail is phill.pollard@comcast.net

And thanks again for the help,