Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2015, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX-1000 Shelby AC Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default correction

I have to correct my self from my earlier post. Brooklands was involved with CSX1001 with AC and as well as some of the other 1000 cars with AC. For the last few years I have been trying to learn as much as I can about the 1000 series and the time line of AC cars. I am still learning and adding bits and pieces of information as I am able to get it. If/when I can get the story straight Ill share it.

Last edited by mullen2; 05-22-2015 at 06:38 AM..
Old 05-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I would not pay a premium for CSX 1020 if it has no connection to AC. No way. Beside the true 1000 series the cars the only cars I would pay a premium which are the 14 that made it before Lubinsky fled to Malta are the Special Edition CSX Shelby's such as the Elliot, 40th, the few Comp cars they did, Challenge cars and the early aluminum Shelby's which were finished at Las Vegas when they were still putting on the right stuff like NOS light trim rings, NOS style seats, Smith Gauges, Girling brakes, Lucas switches, correct suspension and when Carroll was still there and involved. The only option in those days was the diff cooler which I opted for. Now its like a Chinese menu. You get 4 wheels, a chassis and body. Everything else is optional.

I was ...ugh, wrong (doesn't happen often )...on CSX 30601. It is a car with a checkered past. Seem like it is NOT an original Shelby Completion Series but built by Brian Angliss as a thumb in the eye to Shelby when they were still carrying on with each other and throwing toys out of their cribs so to speak. It was meant as sign that AC can also assign Chassis numbers with CSX. Not true but that was the point he was trying to make. The "1" was likely added later by someone after the genuine "Completion" CSX 3060 surfaced and the owner threw a fit.

Last edited by REAL 1; 05-22-2015 at 08:29 AM..
Old 05-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Yup...but it sure as hell takes up less room.

I hate Rolex watches any way...too damn small. Got my first Panerai in 98 when only Sly and Awnold knew WTF they were...now everybody has a weird crown protector. So recently I go for stuff that even the magicians in Hong Kong have a tough time duplicating...Omega Ploprof, Doxa, Ball.

We haven't heard the final story yet on these super-duper continuation thingies because nobody's thought it up yet.
Hold on there Buster Brown. Is it the watch that's is too damn small or just perhaps..., maybe...., going out on a limb here...., could it be........your wrist is too damn big? Just extrapolating from you a$$ in your Avatar.

I have 4 Rolex's including the gold Presidents and they all look GREAT on my wrist.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
I have 4 Rolex's including the gold Presidents and they all look GREAT on my wrist.
Why does Jamo always derail threads with watch talk? If there isn't a more superfluous item known to mankind then I don't know what it is.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Why does Jamo always derail threads with watch talk? If there isn't a more superfluous item known to mankind then I don't know what it is.
Because watch discussions have persistence attributes after a while whereas the weather does not.

I know forums that have whole topics dedicated to watches...
Old 05-22-2015, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I drive a Fake Shelby Cobra, and I wear a fake Rolex watch while doing it, I'm all about the kit car, kit watch, lifestyle, and the best part about it, nobody who sees my car or watch can tell they are not REAL...and the stories I can make up about them both, as this was the same car raced at the 1966 LeMans by Sergio Smith while he was wearing this exact watch, he won the race and that's why the car is worth 7 million dollars...the watch I'm going to donate to the Rolex race museum in Hamburg, Germany... AHH, story time is the best...these new Shelbys are perfect them...

Last edited by fordracing65; 05-22-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Old 05-22-2015, 09:30 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I will stick with my exquisite Timex Expedition Indiglo. It is an original edition and admired by no one, however I hear rumors of a continuation which will upset all the Timex folks!
I do have a few of the nice ones but find that they are just not for me..
Old 05-22-2015, 09:33 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Because he's a "MODERATOR" and a bully and he can do as he pleases.

P.S.
Actually he is a very good moderator IMHO.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I will stick with my exquisite Timex Expedition Indiglo. It is an original edition and admired by no one, however I hear rumors of a continuation which will upset all the Timex folks!
Berni: Actually, no lie....my Seiko keeps better time than my Rolex's.

But it doesn't matter to me cause I'm never on time anyway.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

It's good to be King!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Like I said, here come all the stories of where and how these cars came about and no body really knows crap...
Quote:
Also, I'm confused. If CSX 1020 it has no connection to AC Ltd why does it have a CSX 1000 vin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullen2 View Post
While CSX1020 is a english made body it is not on the original bucks,tooling, or by AC cars. The AC Body and Chassis on the earlier CSX1000 cars bring a premium vs the non AC built cars.
Quote:
Now its like a Chinese menu. You get 4 wheels, a chassis and body. Everything else is optional.
This is/will be the problem with the Shelby Continuation/Completion/Resurrection/Replica legacy. There are too many stories, too many variables, too many builders, too many nuances, too much confusion. I feel sorry for the SAAC Registrar. They'll have to catalog all of it.

Back to the Resurrection Cobra. And maybe Tony answered it already. But why did Shelby hire both Drew Serb and Kirkham to produce the first two cars in this next series. I don't know Drew Serb's production capabilities or know anything about the quality of his work, but Kirkham is the recognized leader in this industry, when top notch manufacturing, aluminum Cobra bodies and Shelby Cobra knowledge is required for the job.

I wonder is it because Kirkham is producing the 50th Anniversary vehicles AND the Resurrection Cobras, that additional resources are required? In the end, having just one source for your product would seem to be the most efficient and best for QC. Shelby has had so many companies producing their product that there will always be a ton of confusion.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Donbeste is a businessman, it is smart business to 'rewrite' Shelby history and get rid of all old shelby parts. It's basically 50++ year old junk without a chassis/ body and a 'really good story."

cobra guys will forget and forgive McCluskey for faking chassis. I'm told he and his company does great car restoration.

Mr. Kirkham calls these 'cars' a work of art? are they? most art and art historians judge art by artists and originality, one offs. Picasso painted himself. he didn't hire a team to mix his paints or paint for him.

if the facts are correct, there are 2 new 'competition' Cobras, built by two different companies with one car part source- DonBeste. is that art or just great forgery?

I spent my youth plugged into the art scene in NYC and interned at Sotheby's NYC. This type of 'shelby art" would be considered as forgery and a crime. no respected gallery, art historian, or museum would do business like Shelby.

I guess car art is different. car people will pay top dollar for a really good story.

go back to MrMustang quote on page 1 of this thread, "greed makes good people do..."
Old 05-22-2015, 09:54 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

For some reason I get the feeling that there is an accountant (or CFO) at SAI telling the boys that they better figure out cash flow pretty damn quick!
"Cash is King, Volume is Vanity"
Old 05-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
For some reason I get the feeling that there is an accountant (or CFO) at SAI telling the boys that they better figure out cash flow pretty damn quick!
I agree with this ^^^.

That's why the "Gumball Rally" Edition makes so much sense. Better than that Terlingua Edition.

Was there a "Ferrari's Ass is Mine" Edition? I remember seeing a "FAM" badge posted here recently.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mine is a timex Ironman. Wonderful river watch. 19.95 at Walmart and cheaper to buy a new one every 3 or 4 years when the face gets scratched or the battery runs out
Old 05-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
go back to MrMustang quote on page 1 of this thread, "greed makes good people do..."
Please don't quote him. His head is big enough already.

Anyway, what the heck does he know. He buys and sells Catterhams and Exocets, or whatever the heck they're called. Butt-Ugliest cars in the world.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's exactly why the early Continuation cars and some special editions like the CSX 1000 will be highly prized in the future. They are what they are and easily distinguishable from the later ones by the original style suspension, Lucas switches, Girling brakes, headlight trim rings etc... and most are documented with paperwork and the Registry.

Last edited by REAL 1; 05-22-2015 at 10:19 AM..
Old 05-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I agree with this ^^^.

That's why the "Gumball Rally" Edition makes so much sense. Better than that Terlingua Edition.

Was there a "Ferrari's Ass is Mine" Edition? I remember seeing a "FAM" badge posted here recently.
I have literally seen a FAM badged car all wrapped in plastic in a shop. The owner couldn't find a buyer for it. It was still a roller. Looked just like any other Cobra roller but with the "special" badging added to it. Owner was convinced that it was worth a fortune. No buyers.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Shelby had multiple sources for csx4000 cars for a long time until HST went out of business.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rod: Why do you keep referring to these new Shelby's as Resurrection Cobras? Is that what they are calling them?

I thought they are calling them "Completion" or "Competition" Cobras?