Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie & Classic Roadster (first post)

Nebie DaveK here from Maryland. I’ve been bitten pretty hard lately with the Cobra bug. I was bit some time ago, recovered, and had two Caymans… the Caymans are gone (and so are the MX-5s). This time the bite wasn’t superficial and so it’s dug in… Yes I know the car will not be as seamless as a modern sports car… no need to remind me of that. I still change the oil in my CRV and have my old engine stand, so I know how to work on cars…

I’ve been looking (online) for several months now (Cobras and Ford engines in general) and have a general lay of the land. I joined CC a few weeks ago. Just recently I found a Classic Roadster for sale and started additional research. The car in question is a 2003 vintage with a 6” door stretch. I’ve seen a number of posts on Classic Roadsters including the sale and move to Canada.

My question concerns the CR ‘adaptation’ of lengthening the car. (I’m not even sure if the stretch was the ‘trademark’ for CR or this was a one up stretched CR). I’m assuming this was achieve by stretching the wheelbase (which I personally think is a good thing). I’m really not into the authenticity side of Cobras. I like the look of the car (always have), it’s heritage, and performance potential, even among modern cars. For those who’ve owned a CR and ‘normal’ wheel-based Cobra like FFR, can you weigh in on the car’s dynamics? The CR I’m looking at appears to be ‘original’ to 2003 specification with 9” solid axle. Also as a kit what is the general feeling regarding fit/finish/quality? And finally, anything else you can pass along for me as a potential owner would be greatly appreciated. (I’m not a tall/big person, barely 5’8”…

To that end, any Cobra I get will only be a week-end car. My budget is 35-40K and so I'm not even considering any high-end cars Maybe one day I'll build one, but for now I think I'd like to find a nice example, sorted out that I can drive. Maybe-maybe I’ll do a/some strictly fun track day(s) but for the most part it’ll be short weekend drives with occasional hooliganism/silliness. I have no desire to “show” the car.. (now BSing over ONE beer and a good cigar, well that’s a different matter!).

Thanks in advance. DaveK
Old 06-05-2015, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I own a CR and really like it. I can't really weigh in on all your questions but I will say even though it's a bit longer than all the others, it in not overly roomy. It's comfortable enough but I don't think the extra 6 inches makes that much difference except for the way they handle. I'm sure DV will be able to answer all of your questions. He's the CR guy here
Old 06-06-2015, 05:26 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Look at Excalibar Cobras too. Factory built cars . 5.0FI. Very nice cars but hard to find. No "goofy"door like the CR.

I've owned and Excalibar. They are very very nice. I liked it but sold it to buy an ERA which I owned and then sold to buy a Shelby.

For normal driving there is really not much difference noticable. A longer wheelbase gives you more stability at "speed" but since you are 5.8" and not tracking the car I can't see where that extra "stability" at speed is an important factor. I know people that have and do track standard wheelbase Cobras without issue and even race them in American Iron Series. There are more choices available for a correct length wheelbase car for purchase and the market on resale is larger.

At 40K you should be able to find a very nice FFR or used BDR.

Last edited by REAL 1; 06-06-2015 at 05:39 AM..
Old 06-06-2015, 06:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave,

What Evan and Greg said above is pretty good advise. I had a CR bodied car that I road raced and the extra wheel base did make a difference, but the FFR Coupe that I now have handles just about as well and it has the regular 90" wheel base. For normal driving and just having fun, the regular wheel based Cobras are just as good as the longer ones and they will handle well on a road course if you have them set up and use scales to balance the corners.

Look con Cobra Country and the other car sites at what is for sale and you will get a good idea of what you can get in the range you want to stay in. Also if you have a chance go to some Cobra meets and look at the cars and talk to the owners.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

SAAC is coming to the Poconos in August. A good time for you to look at all types of Cobras...' original, real and replica.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

go to the London Cobra car show in Ohio with $40K cash. You will have plenty to choose and drive home.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks the replies folks! I think I do need to see the cars in person. I'm heading to the Ford Carlise event tomorrow and who knows. Poco os sound great too. Did my first motorcycle track there age age 40 a zillion years ago. Was hitting Watkins Glen annually for the past 7-8 years for the vintage Grand Prix.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just checked the London Ohio Cobra show and it looks like I'm in luck. It's late June! Also checked stats against the MX-5s. I had. The 90" Cobra wheelbase is less than 1" longer than Gen I. The new MX-5 is 91.1". That's a short wheelbase. I can't wait. Done missed two good buys already! You know, a day late a dollar short. Now focused on 427 body style, black, but with sbf. Had 67 Cougar with 4bbl and top loader when I wore a younger mans clothes.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 1774 / 392 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
go to the London Cobra car show in Ohio with $40K cash. You will have plenty to choose and drive home.
Great idea! Why don't you do the same!
REAL 1 likes this.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkII
Not Ranked     

The Summit Racing built FFR is at auction right now. Might want to check it out.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks!

Yes, actually I stumbled upon the Summit Racing listing on ebay and am watching it. I was at Carlisle on Sunday and I ...thought ... I saw the car at the Summit tent. It was very new silver Cobra but I didn't quite remember what the car was on ebay... I any event thanks much. There were a few Cobras roadsters there and a coupe too! Thanks to this site i'm becoming way more informed.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default missed it!

I guess I could kick myself, but I missed the Summit roadster on ebay by $744.00 ... someone got a great deal on a runner.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I'm in!

This site has been a wonderful source of information. After several months of lurking I've contracted to buy to a Shell Valley cobra. I'm going to personally see the car this weekend for a final go/no decision, but the pics look fabulous. I've had email and voice conversations with the seller... The seller made me an offer I couldn't refuse, if the car isn't as advertised/promoted I can walk way with my full deposit in hand.

I'm pretty psyched about this purchase because of what it represents to me, a neat (albeit very modestly priced) vintage car, I can drive on week-ends to enjoy the miid-Atlantic Maryland countryside. It's not a fire-breather or a rumbling intimidator, outfitted for bragging rights, just a neat car I hope to enjoy. My adult son is pretty psyched too.

We were just at a local car show this past weekend. I was showing him the 'technology' of the 60s (and earlier). He commented on how analog the vehicles were and how engineering was so direct and simple right out in the open to see. Anyway I'm 99 & 44/100ths in!
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

My motto is 'more memories, fewer regrets'. Sounds like you're on the right path. Enjoy the ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekmd View Post
This site has been a wonderful source of information. After several months of lurking I've contracted to buy to a Shell Valley cobra. I'm going to personally see the car this weekend for a final go/no decision, but the pics look fabulous. I've had email and voice conversations with the seller... The seller made me an offer I couldn't refuse, if the car isn't as advertised/promoted I can walk way with my full deposit in hand.

I'm pretty psyched about this purchase because of what it represents to me, a neat (albeit very modestly priced) vintage car, I can drive on week-ends to enjoy the miid-Atlantic Maryland countryside. It's not a fire-breather or a rumbling intimidator, outfitted for bragging rights, just a neat car I hope to enjoy. My adult son is pretty psyched too.

We were just at a local car show this past weekend. I was showing him the 'technology' of the 60s (and earlier). He commented on how analog the vehicles were and how engineering was so direct and simple right out in the open to see. Anyway I'm 99 & 44/100ths in!
Old 06-24-2015, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default a V8! American no less!

Man, do the memories ever come flooding back of my '67 Mercury Cougar (289 4bbl). I stripped out the automatic when I got the car and put in a 4sp toploader. The guy who sold me the toploader threw in the Hurst Competition Plus shifter. Went to a salvage yard and watched a guy tear out the bell housing, clutch/flywheel and all the pivot/pedal stuff. Think I probably got a reman'ed clutch but spent the few bucks for a new throwout bearing.

Got some headers and Pep Boys cobbled together exhaust and I was kid racer. Then college (sold car), then job/career, then marriage, then kids, then grand-kids. Now full circle. But I have a son and grandsons to share with!

Now where in the heck did I put my old timing light?

Dave K.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Cobras are real 'blast from the past' cars. The 'blast' part is easy, but working on them is a real 'time warp' experience. My car was built in 1991 and I bought it in June of last year. By the time it crossed the border into Canada and got to me it was mid-July.

Over the past 11 months or so, I've been through that car from one end to another. Other than tearing the engine, transmission or wiring apart, I'm pretty sure I've touched everything on the car - multiple times. I've upgraded or replaced many things, mostly to make it safer and more reliable / durable.

While there have been a few times I've had to pause and think my way through the best (not quickest) approach of how to do something, these cars are simple and a joy to work on - unlike the modern, computer controlled, electronically laden automobiles most of use enjoy as daily drivers.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Finally looks like it's coming!

Well folks after nearly 6 weeks after telling the seller I'd buy their Shell Valley cobra (2003 kit) and after 4 weeks after physically seeing the car, it looks like things are finally moving. There was a hang up but it looks like I'll complete the transaction this week. The car is being transported on an open carrier to my house. I'm so excited I can hardly work and for the past several weeks have spent daily on the iPad procuring unnecessary items for the car. Had had a blast.

Got cling on racing numbers for hood/trunk and doors (check), Got tons of vintage racing stickers/decals (check), got Cobra Powered by Ford valve covers (check), got remote oil cooler kit (check). Got genuine made in the UK Cobra key fob (check) (good for 10HP and 5 mph top end). Just need the Marlboros, white T-shirt, cuffed jeans and James Dean look (<last part going to be tough).

Here's a pic the seller took.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkII
Not Ranked     

What are the drivetrain particulars?
When I can't sleep - I take two tylenol PM xtra Strength! LOL
Old 07-22-2015, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default It's being shipped!

It's a pretty mild system. A 1979 302 .060 over with Elgin cam and Edelbrock manifold. I honestly do not know what carb is on the thing. Has some kind of dresser pulley/belt system and Ford Motorsport valve covers. I can't imagine the motor makes 300HP, probably significantly less.

Any event I just found the car was shipped and is supposed to arrive today! I'm so excited I gave myself a headache!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default pic of engine bay

Here's a pic the seller took of the engine bay
Attached Images

Tags
classic roadster