• 1 Post By Mastiff107

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2015, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Towing

Had my first towing experience, and thought I'd share a big improvement I figured out in case it does someone else some good. I initially had a fairly standard recovery strap and, although it worked, it had to be wrapped around the A arms several times because it was too long. Also, I had it coming out under the front of the car and it did put some upward pressure on the fiberglass. So, I found these 5 foot straps on Amazon that come as a pair. They're the perfect length to wrap once around the A arms and then thread them through the lower cowling on either side of the oil cooler rather than underneath. Very easy to hook up and puts no stress on the fiberglass at all. Each strap is rated at 9,000 lbs.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

1) You know there are attach points for straps on the rear of the car. That may just be on the ERA outboard braked rear, though.

2) Why did you have to be towed?
Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
1) You know there are attach points for straps on the rear of the car. That may just be on the ERA outboard braked rear, though.

2) Why did you have to be towed?
Patrick, I know I'm on the other side of the Pacific to you guys, but we tow cars in the forward direction here. I'm trying to picture a beige ERA 427 being towed down the street backwards
Am I missing something here?
Cheers,
Glen
Old 07-21-2015, 11:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Patrick, I know I'm on the other side of the Pacific to you guys, but we tow cars in the forward direction here. I'm trying to picture a beige ERA 427 being towed down the street backwards
Am I missing something here?
Cheers,
Glen
I wouldn't tow a Cobra on anything but a flat bed. Getting the Cobra up on to the flat bed can be a little tricky because of the points that Kevin mentioned. Pulling it up on the flat bed from behind is often easier. But, you don't want the tow truck driver speeding too fast because the wind can cup behind the wind screen (which is facing in the opposite direction because the car is reversed).
Old 07-21-2015, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Patrick,

I don't see attach points on the rear - I have the Jag rear with inboard brakes. As for why I got towed, my engine has a custom Crower cam with a hydraulic roller grind and, of course, hydraulic roller lifters. But, in an effort to keep costs reasonable, my engine builder put in standard Ford rocker arms and they just weren't up to the task with the heavier valve springs. So, one of the rocker arm shafts broke. No other damage and I've had the rocker arms replaced with much stronger Harland Sharp roller rockers. They sure are pretty - it's a shame to hide them under valve covers. Anyway, I'm back on the road.

Kevin
Old 07-21-2015, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 Shell Valley, Original "K" Code 289
Not Ranked     

Here you go...How to make your engine bay cooler than anyone else! Clear valve covers! | Epic Internet
kevins2 likes this.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Kevin

Nice work...................
Old 07-21-2015, 12:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Kevin

Nice post, way to go ...............
Old 07-22-2015, 12:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax -fuel inj 383 chevy
Send a message via Yahoo to 427 sam
Not Ranked     
Default tow eye

my take on a removable tow eye.Sam
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 05:07 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You know, I think to just pull your Cobra up on to the flatbed, I think you could pull it via the quick jacks, at least on an ERA. I know the party line is "don't try it," but to just pull it up an incline of a few feet, I think it would be ok.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You know, I think to just pull your Cobra up on to the flatbed, I think you could pull it via the quick jacks, at least on an ERA. I know the party line is "don't try it," but to just pull it up an incline of a few feet, I think it would be ok.
Hmmm, maybe so, but for $13.00, I'll stick with the straps...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Offroad-Cargo-Recovery-Straps/dp/B00V1MUF9W/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1437570812&sr=8-30&keywords=recovery+straps"]Amazon.com: 2 Piece Set 5' Offroad Tow Cargo Recovery Straps - ATV Tree Saver - Looped Ends Heavy Duty Sling 9000 lb Military Issue Nylon Webbing USA - TyCa Industries: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61h4A78-ZML.@@AMEPARAM@@61h4A78-ZML[/ame]
Old 07-24-2015, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I don't think trying to load a Cobra on a flatbed backwards would work too well. I recently had my 67 GTX towed home (facing forward) and we had a lot of trouble getting it off without dragging the SS tailpipe extensions. He finally had to drop the rear wheels off the end of the bed and then literally drive the flatbed truck out from under my car. I still had a couple small scratches on the very end underneath, but they were stainless steel and they sanded/polished out OK. The oil cooler housing on our cars is quite a bit lower than my tailpipe ends on my GTX - although the length of the car would make some difference.

I actually would worry about loading the car on the flatbed even facing forward - apparently it did work though.

I carry a 15 foot strap and some towels (with other stuff) in a kit in my trunk just in case. Since I don't have an oil cooler I guess I should be able to slip the strap through there pretty easily and secure around the cross member.

Glad you got the engine problem taken care of Kevin.