17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

You've still got air in the system. It took me several tries to finally rid my engine of all the air after I changed my thermostat.

The fact that your fans don't come on indicates that the coolant isn't as hot as your temp gauge shows. Your temp gauge sender is probably on the top of your intake manifold, where air tends to get trapped and can be very hard to remove.

Jack up the front end of the car. Buy one of these and use it until free of air. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B001A4EAV0"]Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410gKy372TL.@@AMEPARAM@@410gKy372TL[/ame]
Old 07-29-2015, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Take the thermostat out of the car and see if the problem persists. As was mentioned earlier, installing the thermostat backwards or if there is an interference with its opening due to its design, it could also be faulty. Taking it out removes it from problem statement.
Thermostat should say "Engine Side" on it and should have a weep hole in the plate body, which should be orientated in the top position when installed. Drill on 1/8" hole if it does not have one.
If this is an option for your engine: Get a "Balanced Thermostat" designed thermostat. I believe they fail open.
If your temp switch is similar in design and operation to a SPF. (two wires in a plug on the radiator) just remove and attach the two wires together or jump them (they are just a ground switch) If you have a single wire sensor in a hose or radiator, it is also just a ground. Just disconnect and use a jumper wire to a new ground to activate fans. Don't know if your fans will run with ignition off. SPF's will. Take one component out of the equation to get fans running. Another thing to verify is direction fan or fans move air. Air should be moving "into" engine compartment.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 07-29-2015, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Quick update, just a few minutes ago I did the following:
-Started the car and let it run without a radiator cap for 4 minutes, capped and the temperature eventually rose to 220o @ which time I turned the fans on (via the by pass switch I rigged) and the temp returned to normal 180-185o .
-Turned the fans off once it reached normal and repeated the test, temp climbed to 200o switched the fans on again and once again returned to normal.

Tomorrow I will reconnect the fans (do away ) with the by-pass switch and retest and hope that the fans will turn on at 200o.
Will keep all posted.
Tks
Lou
PS
Blas: I do have an overflow tank installed in my car at a lower level in the engine bay, but you can't see it in this pictures.
Tks
Loi
Old 07-30-2015, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAsque1 View Post
Quick update, just a few minutes ago I did the following:
-Started the car and let it run without a radiator cap for 4 minutes, capped and the temperature eventually rose to 220o @ which time I turned the fans on (via the by pass switch I rigged) and the temp returned to normal 180-185o .
-Turned the fans off once it reached normal and repeated the test, temp climbed to 200o switched the fans on again and once again returned to normal.

Tomorrow I will reconnect the fans (do away ) with the by-pass switch and retest and hope that the fans will turn on at 200o.
Will keep all posted.
Tks
Lou
PS
Blas: I do have an overflow tank installed in my car at a lower level in the engine bay, but you can't see it in this pictures.
Tks
Loi
Problem sorted, three times tried it three times fans went on like a charm!!
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     

The water neck, probably the highest point should be a good place to mount a bleed valve. This will cure your air pocket problem once and for all. You just need to run the engine and open the valve until you don't get air. Re check it occasionally.

Last edited by Xack; 07-30-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Old 07-30-2015, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAsque1 View Post
Problem sorted, three times tried it three times fans went on like a charm!!
Getting all the air out can sometimes be a real bugger. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Back to driving!
Old 07-31-2015, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xack View Post
The water neck, probably the highest point should be a good place to mount a bleed valve. This will cure your air pocket problem once and for all. You just need to run the engine and open the valve until you don't get air. Re check it occasionally.
Great idea Kyle
Tks
Lou