Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

People walk up and ask if my Kirkham is a kit car all the time. I used to get irritated and go into this deep explanation of a Kirkham. I changed my story recently. Now my response is simply: no kit, it's an authentic turn-key aluminum Shelby Cobra tribute car. This seems to work well for both party's involved!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilly View Post
Does this mean I can tell people my pecker has a 90 inch wheelbase?
If it bothers you that they say you have a kit car...
Old 08-03-2015, 05:18 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Some guys on here have really little peckers so they get offended when someone questions their manhood or car... I can think of one on here where im sure he cries about both even though he drives a REAL1...
That lack of education and comprehension continues to show. Still stuck in the 3rd grade.

Here.. I'll help..post #27. Go slowly and read out loud. It helps.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique Collectable, Chevy BB
Not Ranked     

I spent 25 years building 55 Corvette #6 out of 700 build from a total basket case to a Top Flight 97% correct car. At the local car shows they still asked if it was a kit.....Now with my Antiques Collectable Cobra with a 454 Chevy in it they really freak out. I tell them it's a factory option. bj Pics of the 55 are at
americantorque.com/bj
LoBelly likes this.

Last edited by bjretired; 02-26-2016 at 08:10 AM..
Old 08-03-2015, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
That lack of education and comprehension continues to show. Still stuck in the 3rd grade.

Here.. I'll help..post #27. Go slowly and read out loud. It helps.
Does someone have a small pecker, I bet you cry if they call your car a kit...
Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjretired View Post
I spent 25 years building 55 Corvette #6 out of 700 build from a total basket case to a Top Flight 94% correct car. At the local car shows they still asked if it was a kit.....Now with my Antiques Collectable Cobra with a 454 Chevy in it they really freak out. I tell them it's a factory option. bj Pics of the 55 are at
americantorque.com/bj
If you never wash your cobra and let the paint go they all think it's real, if it is pretty they think it is a kit...
Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Quote:
if you never wash your cobra and let the paint go they all think it`s real.
I get that all the time, fordracing65.
Maurice
Old 08-03-2015, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

I happily tell people it's a kit, it's got a small block in it and I built it myself for about 25K. No excuses, no puffery. Every once in a while you run into some jerk that turns up their nose but who cares? Like others have said they probably drive a 140K mile Hyundai (our other car).

The people I really feel sorry for are the, "It's not a kit, it's factory built!" or the "Don't touch, this cost me 90K!" types. I mean c'mon you got a Cobra, you don't need to be a smug a-hole too. It's no more REAL than anything else.

if you never wash your cobra and let the paint go they all think it`s real.

Yes! Plus, you don't have to wash it, which is the important part.

Let's be perfectly honest. A Cobra is a psychological extension of your penis that you can show off to everyone

Um, I like 'em because they are beautiful and I love mechanical stuff. I'd drive one if nobody could ever see me in it...and in fact that might be nice. Sorry about your d__k.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Does someone have a small pecker, I bet you cry if they call your car a kit...
Why are you obsessed with "peckers" and homophobes? What does that have to do with kit cars??????

Old 08-03-2015, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #448, 1964-427
Not Ranked     

Just yesterday I stopped at a farmers market to pick up a couple things on my Sunday cruise through the countryside. A very nice lady was so excited to look at my ERA, she never asked if it was an original Shelby or a replica. She did ask to take some pictures for her husband. I said better yet, climb in and I'll take a picture of you behind the wheel. I've never seen someone so excited, I know I made her day and mine too.
sea2jet likes this.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=.Now with my Antiques Collectable Cobra with a 454 Chevy in it they really freak out. I tell them it's a factory option. bj [/QUOTE]

God i just love that... amen
Old 08-03-2015, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfink55 View Post
Just yesterday I stopped at a farmers market to pick up a couple things on my Sunday cruise through the countryside. A very nice lady was so excited to look at my ERA, she never asked if it was an original Shelby or a replica. She did ask to take some pictures for her husband. I said better yet, climb in and I'll take a picture of you behind the wheel. I've never seen someone so excited, I know I made her day and mine too.
This is my usual experience as well. It's pretty common for me to get people behind the wheel for a photo opp, or to answer questions of those that are sincerely interested in Cobras.

Yes, my ERA is a kit. I did most of the work on it myself, including building the 331 up from a short block. It was a lot of work that I truly enjoyed. Does the term "kit" accurately describe it? I don't think so.

FordRacing65: You truly seem a bit fixated on penises. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but clubcobra.com may not be the forum for you. Perhaps you've confused "clubcobra.com" with "Club Cobra"? Google it. You just might find your new happy place.
BADSN8K likes this.

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 08-04-2015, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfink55 View Post
This same thing happened to me at Sanair Dragway in Canada 25 yrs. or so ago. It too was an ERA which we have the pictures of me sitting in. That day was all I needed shortly after that purchased my kit. I am the same in return for those curious about a Cobra kit and how they compare to the CSX cars.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech 427 Comp by Craig Coombe
Not Ranked     

I posted this already in the scratchbuilder forum, but it seems to fit here...I think you guys might appreciate it. Turns out the answer to prevent your car being called a kit is simple.

I have a beautiful red Hi-Tech built by Craig Coombe. I was at a local car show last week and overheard a spectator tell his girlfriend, "This is one of those kit cars...a real one would be blue with white stripes."

Good to know.

Bill
Old 08-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
This same thing happened to me at Sanair Dragway in Canada 25 yrs. or so ago. It too was an ERA which we have the pictures of me sitting in. That day was all I needed shortly after that purchased my kit. I am the same in return for those curious about a Cobra kit and how they compare to the CSX cars.
Which CSX cars? The ones built circa 1962 to 1968 or 1996 to present?

The originals were kits also depending on your definition of "kit". However, if you use the Registry's definition it is not and neither are the current generation CSX cars.
Blue66 likes this.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

I really want to, but I'm not going to.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

That's why I drive a SPF. I get asked about once a week and it's a simple reply...no.
I am, however, getting increasingly concerned about sitting at a light, quite often, to look next to me and see a large old broad with a big grin and a thumbs up.......gheeesh . This keeps up I'm gonna find out who Caitlin's doctor is.

Last edited by Tim7139; 08-04-2015 at 05:39 PM..
Old 08-04-2015, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Ah, I do see a few squirming over the term "kit" in this discussion. I see the CSX guys and the SPF guys are already distancing themselves from the "kit" term---if a "kit" doesn't mean as little as just adding an engine and transmission. Based on that, an ERA "roller" would also not be a "kit", and neither would a Kirkham. Nor, for that matter, any "roller" produced Cobra.

I think what happens is car enthusiasts see the ubiquitous Factory Five Racing advertisements in every automobile magazine and when looking at a Cobra wonder if they are looking at one of those advertised "kits".

To me the term reminds me of the early electronics "kits" or of the VW-based Bradley or Sterling, and not something I regard as having much in terms of quality and road-worthiness---especially when they "chirp" like a VW.

I think my Cobra has more similarity to an old Corvette than anything else: fiberglass body, V8, built on a frame (not a VW pan...) with IRS, disks all around, et cetera. Sure, I built quite a bit of it, but the build took quite a while and wasn't as simple as a "kit".

So, for the 1% that DO ask if it's a "kit", I think I'll simply reply, "I'm not sure the term "kit" accurately describes this car." If they ask why, I'll describe what's under the skin and talk about building it, and let them decide for themselves.

Most people seem genuinely impressed. As for John and Jane Doe from my initial post, well, I'll let them continue with their "eminence front"* charade. I know better.

DD

Real1: "The originals were "kits" based upon your definition?" You're trying a little too hard, don't you think? Is it possible to have a thread not evolve into the "real" vs. "replica" vs. "original" bare-knuckle fist fight?

DD

* For those of you that need help on this one, read the lyrics to The Who's "Eminence Front"

"You're kidding, right?"

Last edited by Dangerous Doug; 08-04-2015 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-04-2015, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
,,, As for John and Jane Doe from my initial post, well, I'll let them continue with their "eminence front"* charade. I know better,,,
Maybe you are trying a little too hard as well, ERA calls it a kit so that's what you have, regardless of what you think "kit" means.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

A kit means in unassembled form. Once it's assembled, it's a replica of the original car manufactured in the 1960's. ERA calls it a kit because that's what it is, it's in pieces. They don't call their roller or turn key car a kit because it's assembled.
cycleguy55 likes this.