Old 10-04-2015, 09:46 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
The book 1984 scared a lot of people. But in a city, you are probably being recorded by a camera security camera most of the time you are in a commercial district. People in general, are not concerned. People completely expose their lives on facebook and are comfortable with it. So these things that were a concern for us in the past become pase' when they are actually implemented.

Fear of the unknown is common. But the youth does not have these fears. They easily adapt to the emerging technologies. The old people stagnate. So we'll drive our old manual car. The young people will leave us behind.

And be sure not to fly. The 28,000 flights flown in the US every day have no physical connection between the stick and the controls. It's all computers. Not only that, the pilot and first officer are largely along for the ride like you.
Thanks for that! Now I feel even older!!
I somehow keep thinking of the Orwell book though....
Old 10-04-2015, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

If they are going to have this technology, the cars better all go 200mph plus...
Old 10-05-2015, 07:20 AM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

The Google cars use a rotating laser on the roof and others use radar. So what happens when there are 20 cars in your vicinity all beaming out a laser/radar that is bouncing all over. How does it determine which signal is which?

Speaking of hacking; will any kid with a laser be able to disable the Google car?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Combining the theme of predicting the future with paranoia, let me add this observation to the mix. ... I recently noticed a city police car with a strange array of cameras on the rear deck. I realized it was one of those tag reading systems that relays pictures of the car tags of every car passed to a system that records the observation and compares the tags to those of interest to the police (e.g., stolen car). It makes it easier for police to spot and respond to tags of interest. ..... But that's not all.

Because the system records the tag number of EVERY car passed, it can also be used to retrieve a history of any tag of interest. For example, if a particular tag was used in a robbery, they could find out when and where the car with that tag was spotted before by the roving camera system. Again, it sounds like a good tool for police use, but that's not all.

The database of spotted tags must belong to someone. Let's presume it is the local police department. Now let's assume some enterprising business man approaches the city with an offer to buy its database. Always on the lookout for ways to increase revenues without increasing taxes, the city agrees. A few weeks later a new app appears offering customers the opportunity to see the travel history of any tag (for example, that of a suspected cheating spouse) for $49.95. If this app does not already exist, it will soon. ... But that's not all.

The same technology that allowed the police to scan tags in the first place will begin to show up along side well traveled roads. As the system reads the tag of a passing car, it identifies the likely driver, reviews their Google search history, and brings up an ad on an electronic billboard just as the car passes. I envision driving down an Interstate behind a big truck and seeing every sign advertise the nearest adult toy shop as it approaches. Then, it will swap to senior living communities as I approach. None of us will have many secrets then.
Systems have been here for years. Data must be purged after 30 days and is illegal to transfer.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim7139 View Post
Systems have been here for years. Data must be purged after 30 days and is illegal to transfer.
Just curious - is that a state by state law, or federal? If federal, can you point me to the statute?
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 10-05-2015, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Just curious - is that a state by state law, or federal? If federal, can you point me to the statute?
I believe it's state, however, as it was adopted here there was a lot of conversation avbout a generally accepted uniform code of standars and practices. This is not new LE technology.

Do a search, there's a site that shows states,10-12, how long they can keep data, 20-150 days, and how it can or cannot be used.

Last edited by Tim7139; 10-05-2015 at 09:30 AM..
Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Tim. The ACLU is apparently opposed to tag scanner data over privacy concerns. Their website indicates most states do not regulate the data. That is true for my state as well.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 10-05-2015, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     

For the love of God, don't bring up these subjects on any other general automotive forum as you will be severely, and soundly flamed, by the young and trendy.

I recently brought up the subject, actually on a gear head forum, about how todays vehicles are getting overly complicated. You would have thought I called someone mother a whore.

For example of over complication, I found out the motor mounts on my 05 Nissan are ELECTRIC!!!!! They are supposed to reduce engine vibration at idle.

So what is the problem you ask?, Well, when these electric motor mounts go out they tend to kill the ECU!!!!

Not to mention electronic throttle bodies. I understand the reason behind stuff like electronic throttle bodies as in it makes it easier for the car makers as you don't have to design a separate throttle linkage for each different car/engine combo, but Hell the cables, and linkages were so easy to repair, not to mention one less thing to have to trouble shoot when a problem occurs.

I think the ultimate goal for car makers is to have cars that have to be taken to the dealership for any repairs.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I don't like electronic throttle either.
The main reasons were to cut emissions. So you can't pump the throttle, or have to much throttle at low revs. Also it makes it easier to incorporate a cruise control, etc. The Subaru have a censor that that won't allow throttle if parked against a wall in the wrong gear. I work for Road Service and I admit cars are more reliable, but anything more than a flat tyre or battery and the car gets towed. If you jump start a Mercedes the wrong way, you fry a 7000 dollars computer.
JD
Old 10-05-2015, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
And be sure not to fly. The 28,000 flights flown in the US every day have no physical connection between the stick and the controls. It's all computers. Not only that, the pilot and first officer are largely along for the ride like you.
Well that's good to know, and may all well be true.... but surely those numbers pale into insignificance when compared to car trips... I mean I suspect most every passenger on each of those planes probably took a car to the airport.

Further, would you know by chance know how many times the pilot had to pull over because mid flight, your two year old needed to pee on the side of the road?

I'll admit that for those who "commute" on our roads, its probably a fair idea
But for those who like to drive... yikes... no thanks

My wife's car, has a "safety feature" where the seat belt sign binged and chimes instantly at you. I took her car to work this morning.... My darn seat belt was on!!! WTF...! then the penny dropped, my lunchbox was on the passage's seat.

Reminded me of this quote by Richard Cook - "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning". Also reminded me of why I like my bike, and my cobra!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

And now we have electronic controlled steering, which is worrisome to me.
Let alone the fact that if your battery goes dead while you are away for a while travelling and you recharge it, forget trying to get a smog check until you have driven it at least 50 miles to allow the computers to re calibrate. This I know first hand...
Old 10-05-2015, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

My satnav won't start up in some areas where there are plenty of big eucalypts lining the roads.
Does that mean we would have to clear trees completely away from roads ?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 10-05-2015, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Back to Doug's original post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
....Mom driving them to school two blocks away....
....I can just imagine the drop-off or pick-up time at our local school, with a street full of driver-less cars all trying to park or find junior.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 10-06-2015, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How about one spouse taking the car to the store, and when she comes out, the other has recalled the car to pick him up from the gym.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     

One big thing I hate is the theft prevention crap on these new cars.

Try to start my Altima over five times without the engine starting, the ecu will shut it down. You have to tow it to the dealership, and have the ecu reflashed.

Also, there are many other little things that will trigger the NATs [security system] into shutting the car down.

I plan to buy the ecu piggy back controller, and shut that crap down.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Another one that's amazing that was never picked up during testing, is if you start your car, and only move it 10 or so feet and shut it down, trying to restart it up to 1 week later, and the engine floods. You have to floor it and play with the throttle until it eventually starts in a cloud of smoke. Not all cars do it. Mainly small cars.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Wink They're coming for our Cobras!

They've got the Corvettes automated - Cobras next!!

All kidding aside - this is just a taste of where technology can take us and if nothing else, it's nice that an old racer who is now paralysed due to a crash will be able to do some hot laps again.

Colorado's Governor Drives Semi-Autonomous Corvette Stingray - Corvette: Sales, News & Lifestyle

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 10-30-2015, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Tesla has introduced "Autopilot", but has backed off on reports of dangerous driving by the software:

Tesla self-drive mode filmed 'endangering passengers' - BBC News

Trying to out-google Google, I guess.

I'm sure there will be fabulous applications for this capability. However, I so enjoy the driving experience I find it unfathomable that anyone would rather a car drive itself.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 10-30-2015, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

I don't think anyone here "would rather a car drive itself", I simply acknowledge that there will be practical and useful applications for the technology, without succumbing to the fear that it will totally take away or replace what we now enjoy. Automatic transmissions for example made things easier and better in many automotive applications without spelling the end of manual shifting for those who prefer to drive that way (like me).

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
They've got the Corvettes automated - Cobras next!!

All kidding aside - this is just a taste of where technology can take us and if nothing else, it's nice that an old racer who is now paralysed due to a crash will be able to do some hot laps again.

Colorado's Governor Drives Semi-Autonomous Corvette Stingray - Corvette: Sales, News & Lifestyle
From the article ...
Acceleration and braking are controlled by sucking or blowing into a tube attached to a Freescale pressure sensor, while a cap fitted with sensors connects to in-camera cameras that detect head tilts to control steering.

One good sneeze and you're done