• 1 Post By cycleguy55

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2015, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Classic Roadster Kit opinions?

I've been hunting a BDR or FFR for sometime now but recently found an awesome or at least seemingly awesome deal on a classic roadster kit car. Here is the dillemma, the current owner doesnt have any of the build info... Now, this is coming from a guy that really only buys bimmers so I always ask for docs to prove the car was maintained etc. I would assume some sort of build info would be important to determine the initially build quality. So my question is what is the quality of the kit like for those whom have built one, and and are docs important? He said he had it appraised last year but doesnt have that paperwork either.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I think that his overall lack of organization and housekeeping in terms of documentation and service records would alone be a red flag. In my opinion there are really 3 areas of quality to be considered in a replica build - quality and engineering of the original kit, quality of the components for the drivetrain and mechanics, and quality of the assembly and fitment. You can probably find some other owners to comment on the kit quality and engineering, and you or another replica owner might be able to evaluate the assembly care - but looks like the mechanics are going to be a Forest Gump box of chocolate thing if you buy the car.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I had a Classic Roadster that I raced for several years and it was as good as any other kit except a Kirkham or Shelby, but I spent a lot of money upgrading it and making it as good as I could. Their kits were pretty good over all but the person building any kit is the key as to just how good it is. In your case, you can look at the car and drive it if the owner will let you, but as for the engine and drive train, that is going to be a guess as to how well it was built. Also how was it driven before and was it maintained at all.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-18-2015, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

I have a Classic Roadster II and have driven it for 7 years. I think that they have the usual electrical gremlins found in most of these kits. It was previously owned and licensed in NJ and was built in 2000. All of the paperwork including the build manual was included with the car. I hear from time to time about issues getting a CR II licensed without the original MSO papers. Make sure there are no issues there.

Jim Stern
Old 10-18-2015, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

If you were looking for a FFR or BDR, I would continue on that track, there are many of them out there for sale. Nothing against the CR, but with no paperwork you are just asking for trouble ! If you are used to buying BMW's, and have little or no mechanical experience or familiarity with Cobras in general, than BDR, being a factory built roller is the way to go in your budget range. Do not be swayed by a low price. If you give us your general location, possibly a local member can assist you .
Old 10-18-2015, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
If you were looking for a FFR or BDR, I would continue on that track, there are many of them out there for sale. Nothing against the CR, but with no paperwork you are just asking for trouble ! If you are used to buying BMW's, and have little or no mechanical experience or familiarity with Cobras in general, than BDR, being a factory built roller is the way to go in your budget range. Do not be swayed by a low price. If you give us your general location, possibly a local member can assist you .
That makes sense. I am fortunate to be hunting in Ohio, I know there are quite a few cars out here. But again, truth be told while I have researched this car for years I have yet to be able to get in one. Definite lack of expierence in the car but I am reasonably mechanically inclined. That said, I do not have the time or space to build my own car now but one day.

Im in Dayton, wright patterson area.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks for the input all!
Old 10-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello,I just rejoined on here and live by enon.I used to work for double venom and we built classic roadster kits.They are a step above a lot of the kits out there.That being said still depends on who and how well it was built.We could set up a time I could look at it for you.

Last edited by Gary-P; 10-30-2015 at 06:58 PM..
Old 10-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Has this car been licensed?

Last edited by Gary-P; 10-30-2015 at 07:06 PM..
Old 11-03-2015, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

I own an early CR car (serial number 73) that has a very thoroughly documented history - I have the original order form (purchased in 1996), and a copy of the ad from the first time the builder listed it for sale (in 2002), so mine had essentially 13 years of very light use on it when I bought it.

I spent several days researching and reading everything I could before I pulled the trigger- I'm a very experienced automotive tech myself, but I didn't want any headaches, and I knew I was getting a car that has no easily available sources for replacement parts, etc.

Here are the summary bullet-points from my research:

1) I found NO major, or commonly discussed issues with the chassis or suspension mounting points; and my car has no stress cracks or weak spots anywhere on the chassis - It's a solid, well designed, and well fabricated chassis. It's not a mega high-tech racing chassis design (Mustang II front suspension with R&P steering, and live axle rear.); but it's more than adequate for a primarily road-driven car that might do a few track-days per year.

2) There are several (numerous) discussions out there about the CR's wiring harnesses, and the difficult wiring diagrams that accompany the assembly manual - My car seems to have had some past issues in this department, as well - several circuits on my car have been bypassed and re-run with heavier wire (most notably the fuel pump/sender, and the electric cooling fan) -

Mine also had an electrical gremlin in the engine electronics, but that was a Ford issue with the TFI ignition module moreso than a CR issue, so it doesn't count

3) The body is top-notch - It is as thick and rock-solid as an offshore boat hull. If you can live with the design deviations from the original Cobras (like the leading edge gap on the doors, and the fact that the car is larger than a genuine Cobra) then you won't be disappointed in the quality of the body construction

As others here have already mentioned- The rest is all about WHO assembled it, and how much they actually knew about getting an operational car all sorted out after all the "nuts and bolts" work is complete. My car had a number of lose bolts, and the alignment was way off (also due to loose tie-rods and loose adjusting nuts) so I needed to spend a few weekends going over it top to bottom.

Even if you aren't a "DIY" guy yourself; and have to rely on pros to service or repair your car, just look for a custom Street Rod specialty shop in your area - There are a ton of shops all over the US that have built custom Mustang II front-end Street Rods, who would look at a Classic Roadsters car and instantly recognize/understand everything about how it is setup, and how it should work. Don't let the lack of "official" Classic Roadsters business support be a major deterrent (JMHO)

Also- having access to the CR "gurus" here (most notably DV) should be a major benefit.

Regarding the assembly manual - I still have mine- It is a little worn and frayed around the edges, but I was considering having some copies ran at Kinkos, and offering them on Ebay, so if anyone has a CR car and needs a copy of the assembly guide, let me know via PM, and if there is enough interest I'll get some copies of it cranked out...
Old 11-03-2015, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
Regarding the assembly manual - I still have mine- It is a little worn and frayed around the edges, but I was considering having some copies ran at Kinkos, and offering them on Ebay, so if anyone has a CR car and needs a copy of the assembly guide, let me know via PM, and if there is enough interest I'll get some copies of it cranked out...
If I had the manual and was planning on selling copies, I'd go the electronic route, not hard copy. Scan the whole thing to PDF and distribute it electronically, paid or otherwise.

Caution: I realize neither CR or CR II are still in business, but the owners may still hold copyright in the assembly / build manual. Not likely to rear its ugly head, just something to be aware of and check out before reproducing the manual - especially if you're planning to publicly offer it for sale.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

There isn't a copyright or product trademark reservation printed anywhere in the book... The only way anyone could come after me would be via implied copyright.

Besides, I wasn't thinking of selling them- I would only be interested in recovering my printing and shipping costs.

If someone up in Canada wants to sue me for that, well... more power to them
Old 11-03-2015, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
There isn't a copyright or product trademark reservation printed anywhere in the book... The only way anyone could come after me would be via implied copyright.

Besides, I wasn't thinking of selling them- I would only be interested in recovering my printing and shipping costs.

If someone up in Canada wants to sue me for that, well... more power to them
Copyright law doesn't require that it be marked for it to be enforceable. Regardless, this is pretty low risk.

BTW, I've actually spoken to the last owners of CR in Canada - roughly a year and a half ago. Based upon that conversation they lost it all to the bank and are focused on their trucking business. Yep, pretty low risk.
moore_rb likes this.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W blueprinted
Not Ranked     

For all who have built a Classic Roadster I want to upgrade the front suspension from Mustang II to a tubular aftermarket setup. I was told that there are not any that fit and find that hard to believe though do not want to spend the money to find out. Looking for recommendations from someone who has done it
Old 01-27-2020, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoc View Post
For all who have built a Classic Roadster I want to upgrade the front suspension from Mustang II to a tubular aftermarket setup. I was told that there are not any that fit and find that hard to believe though do not want to spend the money to find out. Looking for recommendations from someone who has done it
I see no reason why tubular aftermarket control arms wouldn't fit the same mounting points as the original Mustang II stamped arms.

I'd suggest calling Heidt or one of the other manufacturers and ask them.