Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     
Default Dissapointed with Lenos comments

On Jay Lenos garage reviewing a 1937 Jaguar SS100 he makes some unkind remarks concerning "those kit cars" and "I hate replicas". I found this interesting knowing his Cobra is in fact a replica (scratch built) AND the car in the video is also a replica. Two thoughts, perhaps he is getting a little snobbish and he might be forgetting his humble beginings. He has mentioned some crap piles he drove 'cause it was what he could afford at the time. Am I being thin skinned? What are your thoughts?
P.S. my factory five is what I could afford and nothing was farmed out. It's not as nice as most, but its all my handy work and I wouldn't have it any other way...
Old 11-02-2015, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Neutral     

I've long suspected that Leno was jealous of my car. I'm certain he was thinking of me when he made that crack about replicas. Or perhaps he was speaking of those CSX continuation replicas SAAC mentioned.

I apologize in advance for the response that last comment will no doubt provoke.
Ron61, gthompson and Phill Pollard like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Well, if I had Jay Leno's resources I would personally choose to own a vintage Cobra---#198 comes to mind. A replica Cobra (or Jaguar, or Rolex, for that matter) wouldn't be on my buy list. I would probably be a bit of a snob, and probably only give replicas a quick glance and go look for the real vintage cars.
I've never spoken to Jay Leno, but from what I'd heard he comes across as a pretty normal guy, Without the excessive airs I'm sure I would put on, myself.
I'm thinking the commentary you heard was probably one of those "Jeez, that didn't come out right and probably offensive" moments we've all managed to slip out. I'll have to watch the episode---which one is it?

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 11-02-2015, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Jay Leno owns a kit car cobra, google it...
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     

Show was posted today, his weekly online Jay Lenos Garage. Agree hes a regular guy and hope it was a not thought thru comment. And yes, given his resources I would do it different, but I'm not a bazillionare as most of us aren't.
Also, car owner comments a VW GTI would outrun a 427 Cobra. WTF!

Last edited by keezling; 11-02-2015 at 09:53 PM..
Old 11-03-2015, 01:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't think he was picking on us. I think he was specifically referring to the old type of kit cars that gave a lot of us our reluctance to use the term today. Back then there were a lot of kit cars sort of resembling that Jag but were made from VWs or Cadillac donors if you went high end. They were all pretty bad though.

Like a lot of car guys in So Cal I've run into Jay a bunch of times and he was always cool without any pretense. I'm looking forward to running into him now that I've finished my FFR. A while back another FFR owner pulled into a turn off where Jay happened to be filming some car thing. Jay stopped everything and ran over to check out his car and take pics. He's a solid dude.

Mario
TN Shelby Cobra and PhoneGuy like this.
FFR MKIV #7608 Complete kit w/IRS
Dart 427 w/Pro 1 CNC 210cc heads, 490rwhp/459rwtq
http://www.mycobra.build   #7608 Graduation Thread
Old 11-03-2015, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You have to learn to take any negative comments about anything you own and consider it's source. Some making the comments I'm certain it makes them feel better about what they may own. Who knows why these people feel compelled to make such statements. No matter you have to be proud of what you own we all cannot have a CSX car parked in our shops. For a lot of us there is nothing more gratifying than owning and driving your own hand built creation.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Yea your being a little too thin skinned.
Bartruff1 and Phill Pollard like this.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

I just watched a bit of that video.

I think Jay is just reflecting his dislike of poorly produced replicas - and at the same time - confessing that he quite likes the look of a good replica and appreciates some upgrades from later models.

Also, Jay goes around the car and points out all the inconsistencies while the builder presses on with the 'originality' pitch (which seems to be mightily important to those wishing to distance themselves from 'kit' cars)

The builder is remarkably unaware that he is a walking contradiction [espousing exactness of copy in one breath then talking about updated parts from the mid 80's and using fibreglass *gasp* in the next].

Jay is just being positive about what is in front of him and the guys efforts (from what I saw).

Personally I think It is sad that the SS builder thinks talking down 'other' -vaguely defined & allegedly less worthy- kit cars somehow reflects well on his own replica.
I don't think that creating a fibreglass replica that costs $170k (according to autoblog) is such a great feat, F5 selling a complete kit for $20k is a greater achievement.

LB

Last edited by LoBelly; 11-03-2015 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: b
Old 11-03-2015, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Here's a link to the referenced video: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ptW6kE0Ruk[/ame]
Old 11-03-2015, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Leno has both a Cobra and some other replicas but they are very accurate and he sees the difference between an FFR/ERA/Backdraft that may look like a Cobra (to varying degrees) but is substantially different under the skin. Personally I see some issues with his SOHC-powered Cobra replica and this car has updated running gear.....but whatever.

Last edited by Maricopa; 11-03-2015 at 08:31 AM..
Old 11-03-2015, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just watched the whole video and I wasn't offended by anything. The SS car featured is fabulous. The discussion on replicas focused negativity on the license some replica manufacturers took with the original body shape and the VW chassis used in the "kit car" or "replicar" market. I agree. I chose to build an ERA because the body was as close as possible to the original for the 289 FIA.

XK's Unlimited built (or builds) Shelby continuation Cobras, and had built a monster 289 FIA that was featured in their advertisements (it's red). They are in San Luis Obispo, where I went to Cal Poly. They are a good source of exact reproduction Cobra components, too. That Jaguar/SS recreation was outstanding.

I can't find fault with either of these guys in the video. The XKS owners comment about the VW GTI was about how the 0-60 time held by the 427 Cobra for so long is now approached or transcended by modern cars. He's right. Toward the end, Jay spots a guy pulled over on the side of the road and he slows to ask, "Are you stuck?" How cool is that?

Cool video. Love the show now. Thanks for posting it CycleGuy55.

Now I need to go subscribe. Hope it's on Amazon.
DD
Maricopa and cycleguy55 like this.

"You're kidding, right?"

Last edited by Dangerous Doug; 11-03-2015 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 11-03-2015, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

I took the comment as directed at the SS kits which usually had a full ugly VW front suspension and rear engine.......rather appauling.
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I suppose I could make a comment and get kicked off for some time....NAHhhhhhhhhhh.

I wonder how he talks about his Cobra.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

I don't think he means anything offensive. Just look at some of the mixed breed cars he owns.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:20 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin View Post
I suppose I could make a comment and get kicked off for some time....NAHhhhhhhhhhh.

I wonder how he talks about his Cobra.

I have met him several times at the Bob's Big Boy car show in Burbank and also at the studio where my wife's nephew was a writer for him until the end.

He was always a regular guy and goes out of his way to ask questions about people's cars. Jokes about his "replica" Cobra all the time. That car is very dear to him. Likes to say things like "yeah, it's a knock-off.. but if you want to see what it can do, just bring yours by sometime and we'll have some fun!"
Old 11-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I agree wIth Dangerous Doug that Jay says nothing derogatory about quality replicas done up with modern (in some cases) running gear. He also points out just how superior this car is to the original as far as driving and maintaning it. No harm, no foul. Jay's okay with me.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think the Blastolene Tank Car in his collection is pretty awesome. Hand made by an engineer/artist, this car sports an engine from a M47 Patton Tank---and Leno had it hopped up with twin turbos. 1600 horsepower, and 3 mpg.

On the 0-60 times and modern cars: my Cobra is plenty fast---but there is always somebody out there that's faster. Cobras are beautiful, and accumulate a crowd while standing still in a parking lot. It's about the Art of the Automobile, and the Cobra has plenty of it. I think Leno gets that, and probably why he stated that he didn't appreciate replicas which had been modified from the original design. Imagine the Mona Lisa with a breast enhancements...

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 11-03-2015, 08:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Ok, so I just watched it and have three observations:
1. I didn't think Leno was thumbing his nose at replicas. He was referring to cars that bastardized the original proportions of originals.
2. Give me a break, that Jag SS is a replica that doesn't come close to Being exactly like the original. IRS, 80's engine, on and on.
3. A GTi beating a 427 cobra, I'll have what he's smoking.
keezling likes this.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not familiar enough with the SS to know if it had correct body dimensions, or if was off-kilter from the original. Leno seemed to think it looked right, and I would imagine XK's Unlimited would have a good idea what they are doing. The IRS and 80's engine and transmission make it more driveable, I'm sure. The only thing that seemed odd to me was the use of fiberglass for the body. I mean, if you're going to go through all that trouble and expense. (This from a guy that has a fiberglass Cobra replica...).

The SS is a pretty cool ride. I think I would get tired of explaining it's true nature to everyone, that it is not vintage. It's hard enough explaining a Cobra replica, and people "get" those.

So, I looked up the 0-60 mph time on a VW GTI: 5.4-5.7 seconds, depending upon which year you're looking at, 2012 or 2015. Not quite the necessary 3.3 to beat Shelby's record from back in the day, but enough to run you up the onramp at a respectable clip. Not bad for a mass-produced "folks wagon", of which I am not really a fan.

Either way, Leno's Garage looks like an interesting show to catch.
DD

"You're kidding, right?"