23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2015, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C, Ford 427 Side-oiler 2x4 bbl
Not Ranked     
Default FE427 OEM Alternator Mounting Brackets?

HELP!

I have ERA chassis #446 with a FE 427 side oiler in it with what looks like a home made alternator mounting bracket. After seeing pics of Dan and Troy's 427 alternator brackets, I went on a search to find some OEM style brackets. Mine are made of ~1/4" aluminum cut to work. If I can't find a OEM style set I plan to remake my own, similar to the ones on the car but more refined (to say I'm "anal" (i.e. a perfectionist) is putting it lightly).

The problem is, I find two different styles. One is a little shorter than the other. I have them bookmarked on e-bay if pics are needed but I'm hoping one of you 427 owners (doesn't have to be a ERA) either has their alternator brackets on the bench, has pics of it, or can get pics of it in the car.

The top "arm" with the slider groove in it is pretty cut and dried. It's the lower bracket that I find two of. Both have two holes on the water pump end that look to be the same dimension but then the "snout" is either shorter or longer on the two.

Thanks a TON in advance,

Phill Pollard
Old 12-21-2015, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Phil - it might be simpler to buy the brackets from ERA. I'm not sure but original style brackets might put the alternator into the suspension uprights. The alternator needs to tuck in very close to the engine as seen in this picture, to provide clearance to everything.

I don't think it's very expensive - consisting of two metal bar bracket on the lower side, the adjusting bar for the top and a long bolt and spacers. It doesn't use a cast-type metal lower bracket like most OEM.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Dan is correct. We had to move the alternator inboard in order to clear the front suspension tower.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane, 427/451 Side Oiler
Send a message via AIM to huskersnake Send a message via MSN to huskersnake Send a message via Yahoo to huskersnake
Not Ranked     

Phil,
I purchased the items in the attached picture for $30 on eBay. This includes all the original bolts and the pink aluminum spacer. On the attached image, I have included the Ford engineering part numbers for upper and lower bracket to be used without a smog pump. I figured my Cobra will not require one.
Search using these part numbers and you will be amazed.

Name:  20151221_160116[1].jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  82.4 KB
Old 12-22-2015, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersnake View Post
Phil,
I purchased the items in the attached picture for $30 on eBay. This includes all the original bolts and the pink aluminum spacer. On the attached image, I have included the Ford engineering part numbers for upper and lower bracket to be used without a smog pump. I figured my Cobra will not require one.
Search using these part numbers and you will be amazed.

Attachment 26985
This is one of the two options I found on e-bay but they want 90 bucks for it now! I'm going to see if I can post pics and go from there. As it is now, the upper 'slider' piece won't let the alt. move enough to get the belt off without taking the water pump pulley off. It is too short so I'm not able to 'tighten' the belt either. I may just need the long bar with the slit in it. the part that mounts the alt to the engine appears to be like what little I can see in the pic of the engine on the ground (real hard to explain in text).

Thanks all,

Phill Pollard
Old 12-22-2015, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
Dan is correct. We had to move the alternator inboard in order to clear the front suspension tower.
If my memory is right, you are with ERA?

If so, do you guys sell the bracket pieces individually? I think I have the part that the alt. pivots on and a brace that goes from it to the water pump. It's the "slider" that is home made out of aluminum. That and a bracket that goes on the outside of the lower bolt to the alt.

I'm going to try and take/post pics to better help explain what I have.

But hey, if worst comes to worst I'll make my own set out of aluminum. I'm pretty handy that way. My primary objective is to make it look as "STOCK" or original as possible. My primary problem is, I don't know what "stock" or "original" (on a Cobra) looks like.

Phill Pollard
Old 12-22-2015, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby Bracket

This is the bracket I used on my car.

Shelby Alternator Bracket | Call Us @ 707-836-1534 | Carroll Shelby Engine Company

It is one of 2 genuine shelby pieces on the car I also have a remote oil filter mount. It sounds like you have something similar.

I polished mine, mounted in the car you really can not see it.

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2015, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Pollard View Post
If my memory is right, you are with ERA?

If so, do you guys sell the bracket pieces individually? I think I have the part that the alt. pivots on and a brace that goes from it to the water pump. It's the "slider" that is home made out of aluminum. That and a bracket that goes on the outside of the lower bolt to the alt.

Phill Pollard
Phil - yes, Strictlypersonl is Bob, ERA's engineer. For simplicities sake, I would call Bob or John at ERA (you might get Peter) and ask about selling you the adjuster bracket alone. It's listed at $35 (ceramic coated adjuster arm) but I think that might be for the entire mounting assembly.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
This is the bracket I used on my car.

Shelby Alternator Bracket | Call Us @ 707-836-1534 | Carroll Shelby Engine Company
It is one of 2 genuine shelby pieces on the car I also have a remote oil filter mount. It sounds like you have something similar.
I polished mine, mounted in the car you really can not see it.

Good luck!
That is very similar to what I have but mine is not nearly as 'refined' as yours.

And that's pretty much what I'd do when making a new set, make it more symmetrical. Mine was also polished at some point along the line.

Thanks again all,
Phill Pollard