LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Newbie seeking advices

Hi,

apologize, i am a newbie and it seemed to be the right forum for my question.
I felt in love with Cobra when i was young and a friend of mine turned on his Dad's Cobra which forced the neighbors to call the police for excessive noise... i was in love, not just about the sound, but the design was so pure and perfect.

I am looking for a Replica as i cannot afford an original and to be transparent, i am NOT interested in an EXACT replica. My goal would be to have the old school design but as much as possible new technologies (like LED lights, tiptronic shifts, plenty of chrome, great seats and light body).

1. Do you have a builder to recommend in SoCal ideally Los Angeles area ? Is Factory Five the best kit or would you recommend another since accuracy is not my main goal, rather quality is my main focus.
2. What key points would you recommend i pay attention to to make sure the car is well built and won't break after a 1000 miles ?
3. Is there a marketplace for these cars besides eBay ?
4. I would like an interior similar to Weissman cars, is there a custom interior that you would recommend (ideally in LA).
5. Sound wise what setup would you recommend to get this beautiful roar ?
5. Last but not least, any tips, reading recommendation for a newbie ?

Thanks a lot, i promess that i will post pictures once i get this dream car done
Old 02-04-2016, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Are you planning to build a car, or buy a completed car, or buy a finished roller and complete it.

427 Cobra Country is the mainstay of Cobras for sale advertising. There is also a for sale section here.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i have zero mechanical knowledge, so i would prefer a fully built.
What should i pay attention to for models built in the 90's ? i see a lot of 90's Cobra around $20K and newer models goes around $50K, i could afford both, but what would be your recommendation ? would it be a big mistake to take the 90's at $20K and just assume to spend $2-3K yearly versus the $50K and having $100 a year worth of service ?
Old 02-04-2016, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Backdraft Racing really hit the right spot between classic look but a lot of modern upgrades in my opinion. I bought one because I got the right deal. I really want a Superformance but the right one didn't come along when I was ready to buy.

The RT3B might be the right cross of what you are looking for...

Backdraft Racing - Shelby Cobra Kit Car | Backdraft Racing
Old 02-04-2016, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

I seem to the voice of performance non authentic Cobra's, welcome to the Dark Side. If you want the look of a Cobra but modern performance I would look for a car with all Corvette C4 and newer suspension and rectangle tube or space frame chassis they would tend to be stronger than round tube. For an engine the only choice would be a GM LS , PERIOD! Performance, cost, parts availability , ease of repair its the GM LS end of story. Put that together with a matching 5 or 6 speed and you will have a world beater that you could take the kids to school or the track on the weekend. And don't listen to the chorus of the "only a Ford in a Cobra" crowd!
Old 02-04-2016, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Continuation Cobra CSX 6066
Not Ranked     

What price range are you looking at?
Old 02-04-2016, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Let s see: u want tiponics, chrome, great seats, and reliability, no fuss mainteance? yep, it is called a Corvette. Install sidepipes and u got the modern comforts and v8 rumble. Your wife will appreciate a roof, AC, and vanity mirrors.
Dont waste your $$ on a $20K cobra. Theyre rebadged fox body Mustangs posing as Cobras
Old 02-04-2016, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This RT3 model seems awesome, they retail around $40K, but there's no engine in it right ?

Thanks a lot for all your valuable advices.
Any showroom or good addresses in the LA area ?
Old 02-04-2016, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRuiz View Post
What price range are you looking at?
I can go from $20K to 50-60K, but it would be an easier sell to my wife at 20 t0 40K
What i am more concerned with is if i buy a $20K one, will it be a $1-3K yearly maintenance or a 5 to $10K one... if its sub $3K a year then i'd rather go with a cheap model since maintenance on a $50K model seems high as well.

But i am a newbie seeking advices
I loved my Lotus Elise, currently love my boxster, but wanted a cobra for a while.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Let s see: u want tiponics, chrome, great seats, and reliability, no fuss mainteance? yep, it is called a Corvette. Install sidepipes and u got the modern comforts and v8 rumble. Your wife will appreciate a roof, AC, and vanity mirrors.
Dont waste your $$ on a $20K cobra. Theyre rebadged fox body Mustangs posing as Cobras
i already have a porsche boxster, a Q5, BMW Z4M coupe and since i sold my Lotus Elise, was looking for a barebone replacement.

I don't mean to be rude, but i am just allergic to Corvette's designs and i am obsessed by the Cobra design.

Tiptronic and so forth are just nice to have, but i would be happy with a barebone version, i just wanted to insist that i wasn't interested in having a 1:1 replica.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Most Cobra replicas, even the better ones, are still hand built cars and require a certain level of tinkering, maintenance, (ie - some mechanical skills). And it's not like you can drop down to your local Ford dealer and drop it off for a little work - they won't know what to do with it or have anyone there who knows how to work on it.

I think the Superformance and Backdraft models (a well sorted used one) would be your best bet. There are dealers scattered around who cater to them and they are factory assembled (except motor/transmission) and sorted out so with a little luck you might have one not too far from you. A used replica is typically low miles and well maintained so it's not like you're buying a 4 year old, 50,000 mile battered commuter car. A nice used one should fall in your price range and there are a number of them around.

Last edited by DanEC; 02-04-2016 at 05:35 PM..
Old 02-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have one for sale in your price range
B&B with a Hardtop, 408 Keith Craft motor, Tremec 5 speed. SB100 car

427 Cobra Country--Ford AC Cobra replica manufacturers SUPER-SITE

B&B on Cobra Country
Old 02-04-2016, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the Cali Backdraft dealer....

https://www.facebook.com/Millerspeed-259483080794014/

Here are the Cali Superformance dealers

http://www.hillbankusa.com

http://www.dynamicautowest.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbosot View Post
This RT3 model seems awesome, they retail around $40K, but there's no engine in it right ?

Thanks a lot for all your valuable advices.
Any showroom or good addresses in the LA area ?

Last edited by ASO544; 02-04-2016 at 06:47 PM..
Old 02-04-2016, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BD 1445 Coyote TKO 600 3.91
Not Ranked     

Check out VMS look at all the builds they have completed.

1st class operation

Call Jay as they may have a trade in the works in your price range.

Home | \\VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS
Old 02-04-2016, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BD 1445 Coyote TKO 600 3.91
Not Ranked     

Here is a perfect example of a VMS car on trade in your budget

Roadster, Backdraft Racing for sale from VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS
Old 02-04-2016, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree on VMS... They put out top notch Cobras built to suit. Sucks they are cross country from your location but shipping cost would be minor compared to the quality of cars they build!!!!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you buy a used Cobra, have someone that knows them go with you to look at it and check all that can be checked before you buy it. The kit itself isn't the main thing. The quality of the build is. You can get great looking ones that are ready to fall apart because of shoddy work and cheap parts in building them. So don't go just by the name of the kit because it is one of the better ones. I saw an ERA here, which is one of the top kits and that thing had to be pulled off the showroom floor because it was so badly built. Superformance is one of the best I think as you only have to add the drive train and the rest including paint and interior are already finished. I have a Factory five Coupe but they are like all of the rest and the quality of the build is really important on a used one.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-05-2016, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

I honestly don't think a Cobra is for you. Zero mechanical knowledge is a problem.

I would say the must haves on your list if you are going to go for it is a local dealer that does service, a Coyote or similar modern fuel injected engine.

I don't know the going rate but an older used Viper might be the ticket.

Good luck, don't rush into anything. Go for a test drive for sure. Hillbank is in CA have a road trip and visit them to drive some cars.
joyridin' likes this.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Hey goodbosot,

Welcome to CC. No apology necessary, we all stood where you are once.
Its hard to recommend a car without knowing you.
The souls of these cars are as different and deeply varied as the personalities of the people that drive them. They cover the complete spectrum, everything from a inexpensive (relatively) mild mannered, subtle driver ( Think a stock EFI 5.0 with undercar exhaust) to a mega-dollar deafeningly loud, race gas burning, barely streetable, neighbor hater! (think Kirkham with a high compression, giant cammed big block (385 series of course...) with equally giant sidepipes)
Both will offer the Cobra experience, just a different one.
Based on what you wrote, I would say "building" a Cobra should NOT be your choice. I would suggest buying a completed car.
Either Backdraft of Superformance, would be on my short list, I like (and own) the SPF better, but the BD has an equally dedicated following. You should spend some time looking at some cars and see what it is that you like.
Im in SOCAL (I live in the Inland Empire and work in Northridge)
Id be happy to meet up and talk Cobras and drive options.
Send me a PM if that interests you.

JASON
Old 02-05-2016, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     

Gordon Levy

Factory Five Builder, High-Performance Ford Automotive Parts – Levy Racing

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.