Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2016, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Help-Access to mid 1970's NJ DMV Records for Serial #

In the mid 1970's I purchased a 427 Shelby Cobra from the owner on Long Island, NY. which I sold about 4 years later. The color was silver blue, black interior, single 4 barrel, and rear exhaust. The only information still in my possession are photos and the NJ license plate # VHF-970 which was registered in Burlington, NJ. Is there any way to search NJ DMV records to find the serial #? I've tried talking with them but have gotten no where. I just want to complete my Cobra history and any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyfox View Post
In the mid 1970's I purchased a 427 Shelby Cobra from the owner on Long Island, NY. which I sold about 4 years later. The color was silver blue, black interior, single 4 barrel, and rear exhaust. The only information still in my possession are photos and the NJ license plate # VHF-970 which was registered in Burlington, NJ. Is there any way to search NJ DMV records to find the serial #? I've tried talking with them but have gotten no where. I just want to complete my Cobra history and any help is greatly appreciated.
I assume you have already checked to see if your name is in the Registry?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No, not aware that this source would have ownership history. This car was an original 427, not late model 428 and was described as the last true 427 built. Who knows but many thanks for your suggestion. How do you access this site?
Old 02-14-2016, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No, not aware that this source would have ownership history. This car was an original 427, not late model 428 and was described as the last true 427 built. Who knows but many thanks for your suggestion. How do you access this site?
The SAAC Registry is not on-line. It is in book form. If you PM me your name, I'll take a look in the Registry.
FWIW the 428 engine was used in 'mid production'. The last 60 cars in the CSX33xx series used a 427. Do you remember the car NOT having a oil cooler scoop under the grill opening? Scoops were eliminated in the 33xx series.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's great! I don't recall an oil cooler scoop. This car would have been registered under my name, Remy Fox in Burlington, NJ. I only owned it for about 4 years and believe I purchased it somewhere in the mid-late 1970's. It's a long time ago and, well, my memory isn't as it was. Again, thanks for your help.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mistake-the car was registered in Willingboro, NJ not Burlington.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's great! I don't recall an oil cooler scoop. This car would have been registered under my name, Remy Fox in Burlington, NJ. I only owned it for about 4 years and believe I purchased it somewhere in the mid-late 1970's. It's a long time ago and, well, my memory isn't as it was. Again, thanks for your help.
Sorry that name is not listed.
If we make the assumption that it was one of the 33xx series and it's original color was Silver Mink (it has a silver/blue look) there were only four cars produced in that color. The descriptions of those four cars do not mention it being in NY or NJ.
Can you remember the owners name you purchased it from or the name of the person you sold it to?
Old 02-14-2016, 03:31 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
While Ned the cobra registrar for SAAC is a member here, he is in the middle of dealing with some large tree issues.

As such, sending an email to cobraregistrar "AT" saac.com with as much information as you can remember will go a long way to helping you potentially finding out what chassis number your car was.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-14-2016, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Do you have any old insurance records? They would have a VIN which would probably be the real CSX number and not some made up thing they do now.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Also check any old tickets you may have received. Maybe one has your VIN. That's actually how I found one of my old cars. One officer actually scribbled it down on one of my many tickets and I kept them all.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Fury fox, I have sent you a personal message.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks so much everyone for your help. Ned, I will be sending you photos and more info on Monday. Meanwhile I'm looking thru some older records again. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My boss and I tried to do the same thing through AZ DMV to try to find his old chassis number but had no luck at all. Arizona, California and Colorado, the three states he had the car registered, all told us they don't keep records beyond 10 years. He owned his in the early to mid 70's. Hopefully you'll have better luck!
Larry
Old 02-15-2016, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Larry, it can be done in CA, but it takes a special agent with the proper DMV clearance to access the old paper records.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting Ned! So there could be a small light here! We tried talking to them but always got the same answer, no records beyond 10 years. We just gave up after a while as it just a curiosity thing for him (my boss) and me as well.
Do you know who we could ask?
Larry
Old 02-15-2016, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Larry: PM sent.
LMH likes this.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Motor Car; 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Do you remember who you purchased it from on Long Island? I knew of several back in the day and I know one went to a pilot in NJ.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone for your help. Ned, I will be sending you photos and more info on Monday. Meanwhile I'm looking thru some older records again. Maybe I'll get lucky.
I believe we have nailed this one down. Fox sent me three photos of his former car, which was a Guardsman Blue CSX 33xx car - no oil cooler scoop. One shot, taken from the rear, showed an unusual piece of chrome trim on the lower trunk lid. To someone who has seen one before, it was clearly a Pletcher Ford (PA) emblem. There were only three blue 427s sold through Pletcher - CSX 3334, 3335, and 3339 - and a review of the histories of all three eliminated 1 of those. My notes on 3335 mentioned the name Fox, and the clincher was an old newspaper classified ad I had saved from around 1972. In it was the chassis number 335 (a typo). When Fox confirmed that the phone numbers listed in the ad had been his, we had a winner.
Attached Images

Ron61, LMH, Snake2998 and 1 others like this.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Nice detective work and great vintage photo. I bet that was a handful in the snow.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2016, 08:56 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

All Hail Ned (again)!
Nice work!!