• 1 Post By RodKnock
  • 1 Post By RodKnock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2016, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     
Default How is the market looking for selling Cobra's this year?

My father is terminally ill, and it looks like I will be the one having to pay for everything dealing with his funeral, so I may have to sell my Shelly Valley Cobra as I don't want to go back into debt.

I know the market really hasn't been set much this year, as its too early to try to sell anything without a top. Since its on my mind I figure I might as well ask before I forget.

What is making this year interesting is that its an election year so I don't know if that in itself is a terrible thing as I would figure many people are going to wait until the elections are over to made a decision on whether to loosen their belts, and spend money on non essentials, like a Cobra.

I'm even thinking that it may be even better to just wait until the elections are over, and try for next year. Of course that is going to be a gamble, and one I would have lost with Obongo getting elected the second time. [as in I would have never guessed that idiot would have gotten elected twice].

What do you guys who have experience selling these type of cars over the years think?
Old 02-23-2016, 05:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Right now out here it is kind of up in the air. If you happen to get the right people interested they are still going for pretty good prices, but I have also seen a few that they had to really drop the price in order to sell them. I think this will vary with the location and everything also.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-23-2016, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Things don't just change magically on Jan 1 and noone's crystal ball can really predict what will happen tomorrow let alone next week or month. The past year has seen some fair prices. Put an ad in Cobra Country with a reasonable price and see what happens.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:05 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrain2000 View Post
My father is terminally ill, and it looks like I will be the one having to pay for everything dealing with his funeral, so I may have to sell my Shelly Valley Cobra as I don't want to go back into debt.

I know the market really hasn't been set much this year, as its too early to try to sell anything without a top. Since its on my mind I figure I might as well ask before I forget.

What is making this year interesting is that its an election year so I don't know if that in itself is a terrible thing as I would figure many people are going to wait until the elections are over to made a decision on whether to loosen their belts, and spend money on non essentials, like a Cobra.

I'm even thinking that it may be even better to just wait until the elections are over, and try for next year. Of course that is going to be a gamble, and one I would have lost with Obongo getting elected the second time. [as in I would have never guessed that idiot would have gotten elected twice].

What do you guys who have experience selling these type of cars over the years think?
Depends on the quality of the build, and the quality of the parts used. The more customization the less chance of finding a buyer who wants exactly what you (or in this case your father) built.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-23-2016, 09:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrain2000 View Post

How would the election of a new President and Congress effect the Cobra market this year? Without getting political, I don't see the correlation, at least for 2016. Bank loan rates are low, gas is cheap and the equities market is down but stabilizing. This year is as good as any in the future for discretionary purchases. Just sell it as time allows.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Neutral     

Spring is coming. That will probably work a little magic for roadsters.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

By the way, it looks like the reason for this has been lost: Very sorry to hear about your dad.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
How would the election of a new President and Congress effect the Cobra market this year? Without getting political, I don't see the correlation, at least for 2016. Bank loan rates are low, gas is cheap and the equities market is down but stabilizing. This year is as good as any in the future for discretionary purchases. Just sell it as time allows.
If crazy Bernie is elected my disposable income will drop. Same holds true with Hilarie. Happened with Obama....
Old 02-23-2016, 12:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBattaglia View Post
If crazy Bernie is elected my disposable income will drop. Same holds true with Hilarie. Happened with Obama....
Political discussions aren't allowed here, but my point is the election takes place in November, so selling Cobra in 2016 will be unaffected IMO.

As for new tax policies, the US has three branches of government, with none of them being more powerful than the other. The future President cannot do it alone.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

My opinion is that it is really not much different than any other year. People with money usually always have money. Nice cars will sell and not so nice cars wil take longer to sell. If a democrat gets elected I would expect to feel a negative change in the economic outlook.....if a republican gets elected I would assume a more positive outlook. That is not to say that either will have more of an impact than the other but no one can deny that lack of enthusiasm and energy that the country has for the current potus. With all that being said Create a great ad and get a head start on trying to sell it. Very sorry to hear about your father.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
By the way, it looks like the reason for this has been lost: Very sorry to hear about your dad.
I agree with him. Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. I'm sure it pales to the loss of your dad, but having to part with your car to help out on the arrangements must make it doubly difficult. Hopefully you can find other options.

Take care,
John
Old 02-24-2016, 06:13 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i have a daytona coupe for sale it is factory five car I built with mostly new parts edgar moore 321537 5550
Old 02-24-2016, 09:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1956 View Post
i have a daytona coupe for sale it is factory five car I built with mostly new parts edgar moore 321537 5550
Ya, this response makes alot of sense.

I wish the OP and his father the best.
1795 likes this.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Ditto,

Good luck to the OP and his family and let's maintain a high level of decorum here. Not the time to be distracting the topic.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default Selling

Take good pictures with a camera not cell phone.

Go to Cobra County and read Kurt's 101 on take pictures of Cobras.Before/after shots of Shelby Cobras and Cobra replicas

427 Cobra Country--Ford AC Cobra replica manufacturers SUPER-SITE

Post a ad here on Club Cobra and on FFR site. They are free.
FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum - Active Topics

Then post on Cobra County. Cost $300 to $500 I think.

This is a good time of the year to sell a Cobra. In the next couple of months most buyers will be looking. Snow and cold weather will change to sunny and warm days.

Good luck with you sale and sorry to hear about your dad.

Dwight