Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2016, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default AVONs and Treadwear Lettering

I went with AVONs as I wanted a vintage style tire but still a radial. I used Tredwear Lettings to give them a nostalgic look of Goodyear Billboards. Overall I think they came out really nice..... If ya go this route plan in 1-1.5 hours per tire if your are as anal as me. That doesn't include cleaning and prepping the tire!!
Donunder, d488y2 and MCoop like this.

Last edited by ASO544; 05-09-2016 at 08:28 PM..
Old 03-05-2016, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

Looks good... I am on my second set of BB's but thinking about making the switch... Did you good years on it before? What prep was necessary?
Old 03-05-2016, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Nice looking job! You must be really anal to get it done that well Something to be proud of.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Prep wise you really need to clean and de-grease the tires....especially if not new. I then used acetone and a green brillo pad to remove any hidden oil or grime. I then followed the the instructions by using alcohol to clean the application area and rear of the letter prior to putting on the glue before gluing it down. I recommend using a heat gun or hair dryer to evaporate the alcohol on the letter and tire completely.

I placed them on the tire and once happy with the alignment and location, I used chalk to mark corners so once I put glue on the letter I could replace it exactly where it was. I also recommend using clear tape across the front of the letter to help place it on the tire. That way you aren't touching the glue on the letter and make a mess and it's easy to see when placing it on the tire its lined up like you want. I also recommend doing it with the tires flat on the ground... Not on the car.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Cobra w/351W
Not Ranked     

Wow that looks really sharp. Nice job.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree with the others. You did a great job and they really look good on there. Where did you get the letters?

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-06-2016, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tredwear Lettering

Billboard Tire Letter Kit - TredWear
Old 03-06-2016, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Can you tell me what size letters did you use. I am seriously considering using Tred Wear letters for my tires.

You did an excellent job your tires look amazing! Good job!
Old 03-06-2016, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

2" letters. I have 225/60/15 in the front and 295/50/15 in the rear.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Thank you!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SP0703 Ford 460 CJ
Not Ranked     

Looks great. I installed Tredwear letters on Cooper Cobra tires. I actually used my palm sander to smooth away the raised Cooper letters where I installed the Tredwear letters. Took me about 2 hours per tire.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's a good idea....I used a razor blade to remove the raised areas on my tires but a palm sander would have made a lot more sense.......got any pics?
Old 03-06-2016, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoop View Post
Looks great. I installed Tredwear letters on Cooper Cobra tires. I actually used my palm sander to smooth away the raised Cooper letters where I installed the Tredwear letters. Took me about 2 hours per tire.
Photos of the process and finished process please? Did the sanding leave a rough surface where the snake logo and such were?

I find that the appeal of the billboards is how they bulge out and fill the wheel well, so it would be interesting to compare them to simply using the Tredwear letters.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are some pics. Sorry but I did not take pics during the install process. The glue is really not that visible as it appears in the pictures.
Attached Images

cobra and KevinW like this.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #705, Ford Racing 460 - 514ci
Not Ranked     

Looks great! I have the same kit from treadwear and new AVON's. Waiting for warmer weather. Do you have any tips and tricks you could share with me? How do you get the same spacing and alignment on every tire?
Old 03-06-2016, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I laid mine out on the tire and once I was happy with the look, as far a placement and spacing, I cut a piece of painters tape that matched the spacing between the letters. I used it to keep my spacing identical between letters. I started with the "flying shoe" in the center of the GOOD YEAR and worked my way left of it and then right of it using the painters tape I cut to keep the consistent spacing. On the smaller EAGLE, I started with the center G and worked my way left of it and then right of it. I also cut a piece of painters tape for that desired spacing as well.

I used wide scotch tape to hold the letters while cleaning the rear of them with alcohol and applying the glue. That keep it from getting on my fingers and then on the front of the letters. It also made applying the letters easier and a way to hold them tight to the tire once applied. I used chalk to mark each letter before I picked it up to apply alcohol/glue so I could put it back exactly. I used the tread line at the top of the tire as a reference point. The chalk was easy to wipe off after the tire was completed.

Take your time, don't go crazy with the glue, just enough to lightly cover the area on the back of the letter or it will ooze out the side. Use the clear tape on the front to handle the letter and to help install it after glue is applied. Make the tape long enough so it can also be used to firmly hold the letter against the tire while it drys. I also used a small sponge brush to apply the alcohol to the tire to clean the application area and the back of the letter.

It's time consuming but a great result.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great job! Beautiful car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoop View Post
Here are some pics. Sorry but I did not take pics during the install process. The glue is really not that visible as it appears in the pictures.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASO544 View Post
Great job! Beautiful car!
Thanks ASO544. I submitted a few pictures to Tredwear and they are included on the company's website in their gallery. Maybe you can get your car on their site too.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #705, Ford Racing 460 - 514ci
Not Ranked     

Excellent tips! Did you do anything with the landscape of the tire before applying the letters? Sand down ridges or anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASO544 View Post
I laid mine out on the tire and once I was happy with the look, as far a placement and spacing, I cut a piece of painters tape that matched the spacing between the letters. I used it to keep my spacing identical between letters. I started with the "flying shoe" in the center of the GOOD YEAR and worked my way left of it and then right of it using the painters tape I cut to keep the consistent spacing. On the smaller EAGLE, I started with the center G and worked my way left of it and then right of it. I also cut a piece of painters tape for that desired spacing as well.

I used wide scotch tape to hold the letters while cleaning the rear of them with alcohol and applying the glue. That keep it from getting on my fingers and then on the front of the letters. It also made applying the letters easier and a way to hold them tight to the tire once applied. I used chalk to mark each letter before I picked it up to apply alcohol/glue so I could put it back exactly. I used the tread line at the top of the tire as a reference point. The chalk was easy to wipe off after the tire was completed.

Take your time, don't go crazy with the glue, just enough to lightly cover the area on the back of the letter or it will ooze out the side. Use the clear tape on the front to handle the letter and to help install it after glue is applied. Make the tape long enough so it can also be used to firmly hold the letter against the tire while it drys. I also used a small sponge brush to apply the alcohol to the tire to clean the application area and the back of the letter.

It's time consuming but a great result.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

I used the TredWear product almost one year ago. Make sure the temperature is at least 60 degrees and the tire has been cleaned.