Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Potential new owner - but questions/concerns!

Hello all! Been lurking and reading all the older posts here for a month or so. I've always loved the classic 289 Cobra style, and have started researching a potential new build using a Superformance kit. Here are some of my thoughts/questions/concerns so far, and I would appreciate any input possible.

1. I am just over 6'4", with pretty long legs and size 14 feet. From speaking with a Superformance dealer, it sounds like the car can be adjusted to accomodate me. They recommended the larger MKIII 427 Roadster body, and during the build feel that I can get enough room with minor changes (I am assuming a larger footbox, seat modifications, etc.). I actually prefer the MKII Slab Side (cleaner look to me), but again space is a concern...

2. I am trying to achieve more of a touring car for around town, short trips up the coast with the wife, etc. I live in an area where the weather is typically good for 300+ days a year. Car will not really be raced and driveability/useability is my main goal....I'd even love to be able to talk her into driving it. A friend has a FF 427 build, and it tends to sit because the family doesn't enjoy the ride + smell of the carbs, gas, etc. I had briefly looked at a used 427 Roadster, but it had a bored & stroked racing engine that would run pretty rich. Not my goal - useability is key, to make sure it gets driven.

3. My thoughts on the powertrain would be a fuel injected Coyote 5.0 crate engine + something easy to shift like a TKO 600. Would love any advice possible on all part selections. Honestly, at 2800 pounds or whatever....the 400+hp on the crate engine is plenty. I've driven fast overpowered cars most of my adult life and am not trying to get into a horsepower war with anyone :-)

4. I see the Coyote crate engines going for about 6-8k on most sites. However, in early conversations with a couple SoCal shops that do Superformance Cobra builds, they are quoting Coyote crate engine prices at the same as a Roush racing engine (14-15k). Am I missing something here? I realize there will be a ton of other costs for the fuel injection, potential custom headers, etc. But it seems like I should be saving a decent amount of money and time going this route. I don't mind paying for labor and expertise, but I do have a limit when it comes to a massive markup on a generic part.

Thanks for reading my book...I figure that's enough for a first post :-)
Old 03-06-2016, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I don't believe that engine would fit under the bonnet. A well built 289/302 will give you more than enough power in the 289 chassis. Feel free to contact me offline with questions.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 03-06-2016, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

There are differences between manufacturers of pedal style (suspended, floor) and seats that greatly affect the size and shape of the driver/passenger compartments.

The first advice I always give to a person who is concerned about fit is to sit in the car you plan on buying. In some cases of volume rollers like Superformance and Shelby they are similar enough that you should be able to tell if you can be comfortable in it. But I would be cautious of others, and most especially any true "kit" that was built by someone as the variations can be great.

I found that the steering wheel on a SPF rested on my lap when the seat was adjusted for comfortable pedal position. The Shelby had plenty of clearance.

Bottom line, don't buy a car sight unseen assuming you will be comfortable in it.

Second on engines: The mindset of most of the people here is that they want a power train that is of the same era as the car. That means a 60s style engine. In small block cars the 289/302 is fine. In the 427 styles, lots still want a FE style (original rebuilt or newer generation aluminum blocks) or a stroked Windsor. In either of these displacements go from 427 and (way) up. For that reason I would suggest that a Cobra with a Coyote will limit your customer base when it comes time to sell it.

My opinion, having owned a 427 style with a Windsor 427, is that the car is fine on the street but I never felt the engine was happy. Those big displacement cammy engines are very happy running all day at high RPMs, but I felt I could feel the cobwebs just growing when it was in city driving. Also some experience overheating of the bigger engines. And finally, the horsepower on the street cars is simply underutilized. I'm considering another Cobra and it would definitely be a small block car.

Good luck! They are a handful but you'll smile every time you get behind the seat. They are so much fun to drive, and if you can master the fact that they want to kill you, you'll be a better driver!

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 03-06-2016 at 11:10 AM..
Old 03-06-2016, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

A properly tuned big block should not be smelly. If you stand next to it while it is running and it brings tears to your eyes the carb is not set up right. The torque of an FE will allow you to have all the power that you need at lower rpms; you do not need to run it at 4,000 rpms to have power.

With that being said, if you are going to go with a slab side, then bby all means put a 289/302 in it. Will have all the power that you need to make the car go. Make sure that you have the appropriate rear end ratio and transmission to match the engine. You want to be in the power band of the engine. Small blocks need to run at slightly high rpms for power than a big block does. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Get a corvette. the wife will be happier, no bugs in mouth, air conditioning comforts, modern day mechanics and safety.

if you can, rent a cobra for a weekend, find out if reality meets the dream.

GL
SPF1061 likes this.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

leggy 6'4" with some pretty big feet who prefers the slab side. You have some challenges before you, my man. Make sure you test fit something you like before buying. I'm 6'2" with 11.5 shoes. I can manage in an ERA (barely), but actually feel a bit tighter in a SPF. I haven't sat in an SPF or ERA slab-side yet, but the drop dash design concerns me as that is right where your right knee/shin goes.

I had a friend who is actually a good inch shorter than me try to fit in my car and he couldn't as he had much longer legs than me. All people's bodies are different and out of the box, Cobras aren't really a "big man's" type of car. However, there are ways and manufacturers who can make this work for you.

I agree with all who said if you get a slabside car or FIA car you really should put a 289/302 in there. If you want a Coyote and a little more room there have been many Backdraft cars built this way. These are a more modern version of a the 427 Cobra with a little longer wheelbase as well.

Where do you live? You may want to reach out and see if there are any locals who will let you get a seat test in their car?
Old 03-06-2016, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Take your time and do your homework. Start by going to cars and coffee if there is one nearby. Cobra owners are a friendly group and usually hang out together
Old 03-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The Superformance 289 "Slab Side" has adjustments that provide more way leg room than the MK III "427". In fact we to come up with a pedal kit to move them back for most drivers!

No, the Coyote will not fit without severe surgery that you really don't want to get into.

I have the footbox dimensions that I will post when I get to the computer that has the file.

I have three 289 on hand and can measure/photo whatever you need.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-06-2016, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies so far. To clarify:

1. I do prefer the look of the Slab Side, but if I do this build it will be the MKIII 427 Roadster. More room overall, from what I have read and heard from the dealer/shops.

2. I would of course check the size and fit before committing any $$. Irvine (Hillbank) is about 2 hours away, and I haven't been able to find a good time to go down there yet. I believe they have a large inventory and I would be able to determine if I can comfortably drive one. Several classics I have looked at buying haven't worked out for that reason (XK120, E-Type, etc).

3. Not really concerned about resale, but that's a good point about engine choices. My theory is that if I love driving it, it's less likely to have to be sold down the road. I imagine I could eventually find someone that wants more of a GT Cobra than a racing type one, if it's built correctly.

4. I live about 30 minutes from Los Angeles, little city called Westlake Village. Close to Malibu so I was already planning to go to Cars & Coffee there one morning.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I'm a 427 ERA owner but from what I've seen the SPF 289 Roadster is a spectacular car.

I own a Mustang GT daily driver the Coyote motor is very wide - it's been used in some replicas but it's got to restrict foot room considerably. A 289 0r 302 with a stroker crank and hydraulic roller valve train would be a better choice. You don't need wild cam specs, lumpy idle and eye-burning exhaust fumes to make decent power with a hydraulic roller and some extra cubes.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanm View Post
Hello all! Been lurking and reading all the older posts here for a month or so. I've always loved the classic 289 Cobra style, and have started researching a potential new build using a Superformance kit. Here are some of my thoughts/questions/concerns so far, and I would appreciate any input possible.

1. I am just over 6'4", with pretty long legs and size 14 feet. From speaking with a Superformance dealer, it sounds like the car can be adjusted to accomodate me. They recommended the larger MKIII 427 Roadster body, and during the build feel that I can get enough room with minor changes (I am assuming a larger footbox, seat modifications, etc.). I actually prefer the MKII Slab Side (cleaner look to me), but again space is a concern...

2. I am trying to achieve more of a touring car for around town, short trips up the coast with the wife, etc. I live in an area where the weather is typically good for 300+ days a year. Car will not really be raced and driveability/useability is my main goal....I'd even love to be able to talk her into driving it. A friend has a FF 427 build, and it tends to sit because the family doesn't enjoy the ride + smell of the carbs, gas, etc. I had briefly looked at a used 427 Roadster, but it had a bored & stroked racing engine that would run pretty rich. Not my goal - useability is key, to make sure it gets driven.

3. My thoughts on the powertrain would be a fuel injected Coyote 5.0 crate engine + something easy to shift like a TKO 600. Would love any advice possible on all part selections. Honestly, at 2800 pounds or whatever....the 400+hp on the crate engine is plenty. I've driven fast overpowered cars most of my adult life and am not trying to get into a horsepower war with anyone :-)

4. I see the Coyote crate engines going for about 6-8k on most sites. However, in early conversations with a couple SoCal shops that do Superformance Cobra builds, they are quoting Coyote crate engine prices at the same as a Roush racing engine (14-15k). Am I missing something here? I realize there will be a ton of other costs for the fuel injection, potential custom headers, etc. But it seems like I should be saving a decent amount of money and time going this route. I don't mind paying for labor and expertise, but I do have a limit when it comes to a massive markup on a generic part.

Thanks for reading my book...I figure that's enough for a first post :-)
Perhaps some rocket surgeon has figured out a way to make it work, but I believe the wide Coyote engine is incompatible with your need for wider / larger footboxes. A narrower Windsor engine allows a lot more latitude for modifications to increase the width of the footboxes.

Just my $0.02.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Get a corvette. the wife will be happier, no bugs in mouth, air conditioning comforts, modern day mechanics and safety.
Do you copy and paste your every post.
JD
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you don't mind going a little old school, and you're happy with a SBC (or even a BB, both easily converted to FI if that's your thing) and you want to be driving one of the most structurally sound cars in the business, and you'll probably fit straight in....then there are just two words you need to know:

Arntz/Butler.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

These cars are a blast! Given your size I would also look at Backdraft cars with the Vintage Motorsport guys out in Conneticut.....they have more experience with mod motor equipped replicas than anyone. I have a 427 SB with side pipes and really enjoy it. If I ever pull the trigger on a second cobra it will be a roadster with under car exhaust and no roll bar. I believe a coyote or 4.6 Terminator motor would be awesome. If I was pulling the trigger on a mod motor I would go ahead and go with the supercharger and just keep the boost down until you ever desired more power. You would have incredible driveability, great mpg and unlimited power if you ever desired to use it.

Oh and remember the only reason to get a corvette is NOT so it will be comfortable and have air conditioning. If you want that get a Lexus. Only get the vette if you want to look like your going through a mid-life crisis and looking for a way to buy something that is going to depreciate and look like something a stripper from south Louisana would drive after they release the next body style. With all that being said I actually like z06's but haven't been able to bring myself to seriously considering one.
Jaydee likes this.

Last edited by Ace23; 03-06-2016 at 10:13 PM..
Old 03-07-2016, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Do you copy and paste your every post.
JD
I'm being the voice of reason and saving HIM from future headaches and heartaches.

These toys are for solo driving. riding in passenger seat sucks.
when guys start thinking "I hope the wife likes it..." it's never good
Old 03-07-2016, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance ford v8
Not Ranked     

I don't think that the Superformance 289 cobra is a kit. I believe that It comes complete minus the engine and transmission.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapier View Post
I don't think that the Superformance 289 cobra is a kit. I believe that It comes complete minus the engine and transmission.
And that's a kit. It's a roller, but it's still a kit, when a drivetrain has still be installed.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Worth considering is something we just built... I guess it's the first official "427 Street" car from Backdraft. I'm dialing in my new lighting rig to photograph it. But everyone that has seen this really appreciates how "clean" the Street style cars are without the sidepipes, roll bar, hood scoop, etc.

I snuck it around the streets in Atlantic City last weekend and it really got the looks.

A Coyote in the Street Car would be a fantastic setup. I almost put one in our car but wanted to put a little more traditional engine on the first one. Vintage Motorsports - 1965 Backdraft Racing RT3
Old 03-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
These cars are a blast! Given your size I would also look at Backdraft cars with the Vintage Motorsport guys out in Conneticut.....they have more experience with mod motor equipped replicas than anyone.
If the OP wants a coyote engine in a Cobra, this ^^^ makes the most sense.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I'm being the voice of reason and saving HIM from future headaches and heartaches.

These toys are for solo driving. riding in passenger seat sucks.
when guys start thinking "I hope the wife likes it..." it's never good
Taking advice from someone who has never owned a Cobra is not a good idea. However, if the OP needs advice about purchasing a Nissan Leaf, or taking the subway in NYC, then this is THE GUY.