• 1 Post By ACademic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2016, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Routine Maintenance

Other than changing fluids, engine, oil, radiator, diff, trans, brakes, I haven't really done much maintenance to my ERA...car runs, drives, steers and stops perfectly...

Wondering if there is a checklist that people would care to share for "stuff" that needs to be done periodically...?
Old 04-19-2016, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Lubing rear suspension and driveshaft u-joint points. Check tail lights and brake lights for operation as they are more problematic than fronts. Check brake linings for wear. Check slave and master cylinders for leaks. Re-pack and adjust front wheel bearings. If anyone has a prepared list it will probably be Patrick.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Check the tightness of EVERY fastener on the entire car, top to bottom. These cars, especially if you are running a healthy camshaft or stiff suspension, tend to shake and loosen stuff. I use a paint pen on suspension fasteners to perform quick visual checks.
Bernica likes this.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:29 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post
Check the tightness of EVERY fastener on the entire car, top to bottom. These cars, especially if you are running a healthy camshaft or stiff suspension, tend to shake and loosen stuff. I use a paint pen on suspension fasteners to perform quick visual checks.
Ditto on what ACademic said! Makes it easy to quick-check instead of guessing and going through the entire routine every time.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Check your clutch spline set screw. See: Ehhrggg, Standed by a Set-Screw
Old 04-21-2016, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Obviously we all have different levels of concern with taking care of our rides. Having built my car for a few years had a long checklist of things to check regularly once satisfied that these things were all staying where they should became less worried about surprises. It paid off the car is now over 23 yrs. old, I feel very confident I could head off in any direction with no concerns other than the damn E10 or worse getting caught playing.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like the OP's question and I agree a checklist may be very useful to many - including those purchasing somebody else's car. When I buy somebody else's Cobra I go through all these things mentioned as well (maybe not all the suspension bolt spec tightening - so that suggestion was helpful) as I assume the prior owner did limited/no maintenance. I usually find that my suspicion in this matter is very correct ): The lower the miles, the more they seem to LACK this kind of maintenance, especially as they become 10+ years old! The highest mileage car I had the pleasure to own (about 21K) was by far the cleanest and best maintained one of all of them!