28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lippy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2016, 06:22 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Newbie here regarding Cobra opportunity!!

With reading the instructions not sure I can post a pic of this Cobra but an opportunity has been presented to me. Letting go my late wife's 66 Mustang Coupe and this gentleman has offered his Cobra in trade. Waiting for more details but the story goes like this: it was one of Daryl Earnhardt's mechanics kit cars that he builds (Ollie McPherson??). He is to get back to me on the history etc but I have searched high and low on the internet on this subject and cannot find much of anything. With that, has anyone heard of this guy's product? The car was built in 1990 and has only 5,280 miles on the 1985 hi output 351 Windsor. I must say it is pretty car and will be heading out to see and drive it before I make a decision, so would there be anything else one would look for as being a First timer of a Cobra?

Tks JP

Name:  Cobra.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  44.0 KB
Old 04-21-2016, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's an LA Exotic. I'd start your research there. That photo is from 2011, when it was offered for sale in Canada. As for any "stories" that may be attributed to this car. They are indeed that - "stories". Anybody can create and tell a story. What value are you placing on your Coupe, and what value is the other party placing on the Cobra?
1966 ac cobra mkIII for sale in Edm, Alberta Canada

Last edited by 66gtk; 04-21-2016 at 06:33 AM..
Old 04-21-2016, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra, SVO 460, Richmond 4+1
Not Ranked     

Having just bought a Cobra that was built in 1994 with low mileage, I can say this assume zero maintenance items have been done and the tires are original, because this probably is the case and plan accordingly. Also figure that with low mileage none of the bolts have been checked for being loose, and if something doesn't work now, it probably never has.

In my case I also found that the car was put together nicely but some things should have been better researched when built. All my hoses and belts and tires were original. Of course they looked new because they only had 3800 miles on them.

You want to find out what brand the kit is or was it scratch built. Any maintenance history you can get. Once you drive one you will be bitten by the Cobra and sadly will search high and low for the perfect one.
Red W/ White Strips
SVO 460
Richmond 4+1
Old 04-21-2016, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Being that you live in Canada, you do not need to worry about import issues, as it is very difficult to import a completed cobra into the US.

Otherwise, do some research and try to get an idea of what the car is worth, as compared to the '66 Mustang Coupe. As others have said, check on maintenance and how often the car has been driven. Rubber bushings may need to be replaced and count on replacing all fluids. Good luck.

Last edited by 1795; 04-21-2016 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 04-21-2016, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would value that car, a SWAG at $20K. You either hate or love the roll bar....
Old 04-21-2016, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

That car has been for sale for five years, nearly from the time the seller bought it. He was a forum member named "bubba622" if you want to look through his previous posts. He offered the car here on CC once at an asking price of $28K: http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...ate/1164778912
Old 04-21-2016, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
It's an LA Exotic. I'd start your research there. That photo is from 2011, when it was offered for sale in Canada. As for any "stories" that may be attributed to this car. They are indeed that - "stories". Anybody can create and tell a story. What value are you placing on your Coupe, and what value is the other party placing on the Cobra?
1966 ac cobra mkIII for sale in Edm, Alberta Canada
Check out this thread: Is this an LA EXOTIC?

It's the same car, and that thread seems to conclude it's NOT an LA Exotics Cobra, but actually from SC Motorcars.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
That car has been for sale for five years, nearly from the time the seller bought it. He was a forum member named "bubba622" if you want to look through his previous posts. He offered the car here on CC once at an asking price of $28K: PhotoPost Classifieds - 1990 Built Cobra Replica - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Very odd, I inquired about that car in February 2014 and never received a reply. I'm in Saskatchewan, so that car in Edmonton would have been far more convenient for me than purchasing the one I did and having it shipped from Connecticut!
Old 04-21-2016, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Check out this thread: Is this an LA EXOTIC?

It's the same car, and that thread seems to conclude it's NOT an LA Exotics Cobra, but actually from SC Motorcars.
Good work - I was merely restating what the Ad said (LA Exotic). Glad there are many here to help the OP!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Sell your Mustang and then get the cobra you want. I'm not a fan of trades. The market for your mustang is much broader and more liquid. While that car may be nice, it's not as easy to sell as a Kirkham, ERA, Superformance, etc, and it's a small block in a 427 body.
Bernica and 1795 like this.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Sell your Mustang and then get the cobra you want. I'm not a fan of trades. The market for your mustang is much broader and more liquid. While that car may be nice, it's not as easy to sell as a Kirkham, ERA, Superformance, etc, and it's a small block in a 427 body.
I'm with Lippy on this. An actual '66 Mustang is going to cover a lot more ground when advertised than this (whatever it is) Cobra. Facts in evidence is that this "Cobra" has been bouncing around and a dealer wants to dump it because he knows how fast he can move that Mustang.