• 1 Post By Three Peaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2016, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Continuation/Replica Cobra Questions

I was going to post this on SAAC but thought there is extensive experience here if members are not going to get into what is real and/or copy/replica.

I almost bought one of the polished Kirkhams two years ago but to tell you the truth I couldn't keep score on who does what work.

1- Is there a general consensus of what Cobras are better? Better could be several things, value, construction, etc. I'm not sure but wasn't Kirkham providing bodies to Shelby American.

2-I was looking at the Kirkham site and noticed their polished Daytona, really sharp, are they still providing components to Shelby American.

3- As far as the CSX series 4000 & up are any holding value. I couldn't ever get a glass car. I saw one of the alum billet cars and that was about the best one visually I liked. I do like the FIA series look though.

4- These GT 40 continuations from Shelby just released there is no information about what the body is made from. The Mark IV continuations how have these been doing in prices the last few years.

5. Not looking at these as any kind of investment just a good built car.

I use to follow the auctions but haven't in the last two years.

Thanks

FarRider: The fastest ride from point A to point B
Old 05-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarRider View Post
I was going to post this on SAAC but thought there is extensive experience here if members are not going to get into what is real and/or copy/replica.

I almost bought one of the polished Kirkhams two years ago but to tell you the truth I couldn't keep score on who does what work.

1- Is there a general consensus of what Cobras are better? Better could be several things, value, construction, etc. I'm not sure but wasn't Kirkham providing bodies to Shelby American.

2-I was looking at the Kirkham site and noticed their polished Daytona, really sharp, are they still providing components to Shelby American.

3- As far as the CSX series 4000 & up are any holding value. I couldn't ever get a glass car. I saw one of the alum billet cars and that was about the best one visually I liked. I do like the FIA series look though.

4- These GT 40 continuations from Shelby just released there is no information about what the body is made from. The Mark IV continuations how have these been doing in prices the last few years.

5. Not looking at these as any kind of investment just a good built car.

I use to follow the auctions but haven't in the last two years.

Thanks

FarRider: The fastest ride from point A to point B
The GT40 is based on the Superformance car and the "body" i.e. the nose, deck and doors are fiberglass as per the originals. The roof and tub are steel as original as well. The GT MK IVs are selling for over their cost when first sold but that is a small pool and they trade amongst a close knit community (and Fran has two....)

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-20-2016, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you purchased a CSX4000 car in either glass or alum back in 2004ish when the costs were half of what they are now the return on those purchases are quite nice for the owners who are now selling. The starting cost TODAY on these cars are now very very high. Kirkham does supply the aluminum bodies for the CSX cars now.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, I was reading after I posted this thread about 15 Sebring cars and I figure the comments told it like it is. An updated Cobra but's it's still authentic. lol I guess I didn't write the post very well but one point I was wondering how much weight and value is there that's it's Shelby American making those certain Cobras. Even though it's not Shelby. Is a plaque and number worth the added costs?
Old 05-20-2016, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Cobra w/351W
Not Ranked     

Find a car you really like. That has everything you want and buy it. Drive the hell out of it and enjoy it. Never look back. Don't listen to anybody else. Just enjoy it and have fun!!!
wkooiman likes this.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't think that letting the resale value of any Cobra or car is what you should use to determine which one you want. These cars can't be used as an investment as they make so many of them now. If that is your main concern, buy one of the originals if you can go to one of the auctions. I agree with what AZ Cobra Mike said in the previous post. Having owned several different ones, I now get what I want and don't even consider the resale value.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-21-2016, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

As has been said many times.

If you want an investment, buy an original. Not a "real1", an original!
If you just want a car that is a blast to drive, pick one, lay out the cash, and knock yourself out.

One more thing. If you buy used, you will probably not lose a dime in the long run. Few modern day cars can say the same thing.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarRider View Post
Is a plaque and number worth the added costs?
Is it worth it to you? If so, it might be the same for someone else when you decide to sell. If not, then maybe not. ... BTW, I agree with all the previous advice offered.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-21-2016, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

I never buy a vehicle of any kind without considering the resale.

But you also have to consider the lost opportunity cost of the purchase, the greater the purchase cost the greater the loss of income from that amount.

It is not as complicated as I have managed to make it. Not enough coffee this morning....bart
Old 05-21-2016, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I already own originals but I won't get into that. Any thoughts on the Sanction II cobras?

Never worried about resale I never sell anything, well almost never. Leaning towards the Kirkhams.

Thanks guys I know the same question comes up over and over again.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

If you are really concerned about having a driver's car and the best bang for your buck, it would be hard to go wrong with a Kirkham. On top of the outstanding factory support you will receive, you'll basically be driving the same car as a Shelby for a lot (?) less money. A win, win in my book.

Bob
ta22 likes this.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
If you purchased a CSX4000 car in either glass or alum back in 2004ish when the costs were half of what they are now the return on those purchases are quite nice for the owners who are now selling. The starting cost TODAY on these cars are now very very high. Kirkham does supply the aluminum bodies for the CSX cars now.
kirkham did supply the alubodys to shelby even in 2004...