Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2016, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SP0703 Ford 460 CJ
Not Ranked     
Default Completed First Oil Change-My Cobra Smells Differently

I just changed the oil for the first time since I purchased my SPF. I do not know what brand or viscosity of oil was in the car when I purchased it but I put in Lucas full synthetic racing 20W 50 (20W 50 is recommended by the engine manufacturer). I installed a Motorcraft FL1-HP filter. After the initial start up, I noticed a different smell coming from the engine bay and/or exhaust. It is not electrical and I made sure there were no leaks. Is it common for different motor oils to produce different odors?

Also, I noticed my oil pressure increased about 7-8 psi at idle and when I increased the RPM's compared to pre-oil change. I did not get a chance to drive the car so I do not know what the pressure is under driving conditions. Is higher pressure a characteristic of full synthetic oils?
Old 05-23-2016, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

It you got a drip or two on the exhaust manifold or engine you might smell it, but otherwise you wouldn't unless you are consuming a lot of oil.

You should check with the builder but older style engines often don't like full synthetic.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I agree with Lippy in that in general older engines prefer dino oil. Without knowing what the viscosity was for the prior oil, it is hard to say anything about the current oil pressure. Viscosity dictates oil pressure, not whether it is synthetic or dino.

Lippy may be correct in that a drip or two of oil on the headers would cause some smell. Take a look at the ends of your side pipes, is there oil in the pipe, or are they clean/sooty? If you are burning more oil, you should see some evidence in the side pipes.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

How many miles and / or approx hours on the engine since it was first built? Also, what type of cam?...hydraulic, hyd roller, solid roller?
Old 05-23-2016, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bernica, the engine is an M-6007-C460 460 cu. in. Ford Racing crate engine manufactured by AER Mfg. Manufacture date is March 1999 and the car currently has 8300 miles. I purchased the car with 5200 miles on it last year. Camshaft is a hydraulic M-6250-C460.

Documentation from the engine manufacturer I received with the car states that "Motorcraft 20W50 racing oil or any other good quality natural or synthetic racing oil may be used."
Old 05-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The short answer is "Yes, an oil change can change the smell of your exhaust." As can a change of gasoline, as can an oil or fuel supplement. Humidity can do it, temperature can do it too. Here, Power Plus Fuel Fragrances - Make Your Exhaust Smell Like a Pina Colada I am particularly partial to the pina colada.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Geez Patrick, I thought your flavor was Chalupa!

Seriously though, what Patrick said is true with fuel and oil. Just keep an eye on it and check the pipes now and again. I have run a tank of 110 octane in my car before (actually even higher) and the smell is like night/day.

Also, you say "your first oil change". I am assuming that someone else did it in the past few thousand miles?

What did your oil look like when you drained it?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I have the Ford Racing 514 which I rebuilt at 13k miles. I started out with 10W 40 conventional oil, then went to Valvoline VR1 20w 50 oil and usually add a quart of Rislone oil additive. I could tell a difference in the exhaust smell usually when I would start it.

Scott
Old 05-23-2016, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Brad Penn oil. Try it
Old 05-24-2016, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

If your Cobra smells different, its likely the oil. If it smells differently, its likely the aroma sensor has failed.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 05-24-2016 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 05-24-2016, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the feedback, gents. I will keep an eye (and nose) on it.