LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Skype™ to dubaicobra
Not Ranked     
Default 1966 Ac Cobra in Dubai

Hello everyone ,

I had an old post some months ago introducing my recent car I purchased from the US , plz read the following description, specs :

One of a kind 1966 Cobra replica that will run in the low 9's without nitrous and has gone 200 mph. Definitely one of the fastest,quickest street cars out there.The frame and body is Butler racing (Ron Butler was the crew chief for Ken Miles). Engine is a 509 ci big block chevy by FastTimes Motorworks, dynode at 700 hp naturally aspirated and 1000 hp w/nitrous, nitrous has never been used except when dynode. .700 inch lift street roller cam w/ 10.8 compression on pump gas, Brodix 2 heads,1050 cfm Holley annular discharge, MSD ignition.
Engine is set back 10' in the frame making it at almost 50/50 weight distribution. Drive shaft is only 12' long, Richmond 5 speed trans ( the former Doug Nash 5 spd ) w/hurst custom linkage mounted at front of trans for superior shifting.
Trans is under driven in 1st gear 3.54 making the rear end like a 456 but is a 3.0 in 5th gear, Rear end is a c.w.i. 9' ford w/a custom housing, a Strange nodular iron center section w/ power lock and 31 spline stainless stub axles.
Rear suspension has 4 adjustable coil overs both in ride height and dampening,custom traction control bars, a 7/8 adjustable sway bar and inboard 4 piston Wilwood brakes.
Front suspension is a Meyer Racing w/coleman quick ratio rack and pinion, 2 coil overs fully adjustable w/tubular control arms w/adjustable uppers and heim joints steering arms designed to eliminate bump steer, Also has a 1 1/16 adjustable sway bar w/4 piston wilwood brakes.
This car handles like it is on rails, Wheels are 3 piece by Jongbloed measuring 10x15 in front and 12x 15 in the rear w/Hoosier road racing tires all 4 corners w/ 1/2'x3' wheel studs.
Roll bar is a 3' 3 point chrome molly, Headers are ceramic coated w/steel side exhaust, 18 gallon fuel cell, twin pusher fans in front w/oil cooler.
Signed wood Nardi steering wheel w/Smith Gauges, 2 ten pound nitrous bottles in the trunk.

Since I had to leave for a long working trip , I never had the chance to enjoy that beauty as I thought , So since a regular maintenance and service were done the cobra was inside the garage in deep sleep ..

so came back and immediately went for a spin , shortly and like one block drive the front brake jammed or blocked , so took it to the garage , here resources and good mechanics and parts are very hard to find , so I will share with you guys what I have discovered so far :
( please excuse my english and part's description or names , I will do my best and will attach photos )

1. the upper control arm which as written in the the specs paper i got with the car ( without mentioning part numbers ) was made by tubular , are in good shape
2. the knuckles from both upper arm and lower control arm needs replacement as they are tilted and not setting in the right position , which cause the spindle to **** outwards and pushes against the brake discs so jamming the front tires
3. nothing is written on the control arms
4. the right spindle is crooked a bit , and here is what its written on it ( GM3838 ) ( O39 ) ( DA) ( 44A ) which if i google i reach nothing

so as u guys see i'm completely stuck here , so troubleshooting the whole thing , tracking wilwood brackets attached to both right and left spindles ( part # CH 250-0973R and CH 250-0973L ) I got a hint from there customer service that those brackets are made to fit spindles made for camaro 67-72

thats all what I reached so far .....

could you plz help !!!

I will attach photos to the control arms , spindle and the knuckles

I don't want the desert sands to be the graveyard for my cobra ...
Name:  IMG_3572.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3578.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3595.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  43.6 KB
Old 06-01-2016, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The four bolt upper ball joints look like first generation Camaro, as do the lower ball joints. Just for example, take a look at these: Camaro Ball Joints Upper Lower Kit Top Quality 67 69 | eBay

Also something to point out, make sure that the Heim joints on the A-arms are centered so they don't rub when reassembled. When the jamb nut is tightened, they should be able to move without interference. One of yours on the top photo isn't centered and needs to be turned straight. Hope that makes sense!
Larry
Old 06-04-2016, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

So you believe the spindles are bent? That would take some doing. Anyone been pulling wheelies with that car?

A bent spindle definitely does create issues as it offsets the rotor between the caliper halves so there isn't room on one side for a full thickness brake pad. A worn set of pads will usually work for awhile if the spindle isn't too badly bent. If someone crammed new pads in there somehow I'm surprised you even made it a couple blocks.

The upper ball joint does look like GM. Looks like the GM one in my ERA that either uses a Chevrolet spindle or spindle built around GM specs (I forget which).