19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Any Cobras to fit 6'5" tall drivers ???

Hello Members....

A good friend wants to try a Cobra again, but keeps complaining that he can't find a Cobra that will suit his long torso and head from peering above the windshield. He already tried a Classic Roadsters Cobra with the seat tilted way back, but his goofy mug was still lookin out over the windshield!

- Any as-built Cobras out there to fit 6'5" tall torso drivers?

- Any custom-built type brands that can be successfully made-to-fit well?

- How about ideas on lowered-seat replacement options that look decent, and still function well?

Just though I'd ask for him before he gives up on it.

Last edited by decooney; 09-25-2003 at 09:32 PM..
Old 04-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Send a message via AIM to Tinker51
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up 6' 5" in an SPF

I fit with no troubles in my SPF at 6' 5". Mine is a 700 car so it has the droped foot box. Some big guys complain about peddle room but I drive it with regular tennis shoes on my size twelve feet. I will admit that I do turn my ball cap around backwards at freeway speed but that is about it.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So should try John's Custom Fab in Coos Bay, Oregon. 541-888-9313. He custom makes his frames and molds the bodies on site. I have seen one of his cars that a 6'5" guy drives and he loves it. My car is down there right now. Nice guys to work with.

Eric
Old 04-23-2003, 11:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up C.R.

Classic Roadsters comes to mind. Longer than standard. I'm sure DV could fix him right up. Fit him like a glove.

Ernie
Old 04-24-2003, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     

Bob Evans is over 7' and he fits in his Unique 289 car!

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 04-24-2003, 12:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default tried those...

Yeah he tried the Classic Roadsters with the seat layed back and Unique Motorcars 427SC, with the foot drop-box option. Eyes were centered right at the top of the windshield frame, even with minimum lower seat cushion foam.

As for SPF, he must have sat in one of the earlier cars because a few guys have mentioned that a 6'5" person should be able to fit.

The custom built idea might be a good way to go if anyone knows of others. Thanks to all so far.... good responses. !

Last edited by decooney; 04-24-2003 at 12:49 AM..
Old 04-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Classic Productions?? Don't know who or what that car is......

Ernie
Old 04-24-2003, 12:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default edit...

Ernie,
yeah .. he tried a Classic Roadsters, not Classic Productions. Changed it... Thanks.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

Im 6'3" and fit in an early spf nicely. SPF lowered the footbox to accomodate, and you can take out the seat adjusters which should lower you butt about 1.5" There are several kits that have an extended wheelbase...Lonestar, Classic et al. Buy Curt Scotts magazine on Cobra replicas on Cobra country, it gives an overall description of each quality kit on the market. If the kits not in there, it probably shouldnt even be considered.

Dane
Old 04-24-2003, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking Backdraft Racing Roadster

I tried the driver's seat of a Backdraft Racing Roadster. The car has a 92" (optional 93") wheelbase plus adjustable pedals - fore and aft & sideways spacing. Standard equipment includes 13" Moto Lita steering wheel. Good room for me at 6"3" - and the roll bar was higher than my head. More room available with removal of seat adjusting rails.

By the way, it doesn't scream extended wheelbase - pretty well done.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Duane,

You might talk to Enerson Motorsports who is on this club. I have seen cars they they built for guy's from 6'6" and over 350 pound on. So far they have made them all fit to the customers satisfaction. He is in Redding, Cal.which is in Northern Cal.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-24-2003, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Randy Hunter builds a real nice 96" WB Cobra with a 3" dropped steel floor. Go here for a picture of the frame and design features.

http://www.missionlabs.com/hunters/frame.htm

Randy built one for one of his customers who is taller than Randy and 'Randy is 6'-4" himself. This guy had to have custom footboxes because his shoes were very big.

One of Randy's Cars is in the latest Kit Car Magazine. It is in the article about engine combos and the Run and Gun article. Look for Robert Lightsey's car it is a 96" w.b. with a 502 chevy big block. I think it says Robert was in the title hunt all day and he finished in the top three in a couple of catagories.

Here is the picture from Kit Cars's website

Here is another

[IMG]

His #502 is for the 502c.i. chevy. THe hood scoop on Roberts car is larger to accomidate the high rise manifold and big air cleaner.

Last edited by aumoore; 04-24-2003 at 05:00 PM..
Old 04-24-2003, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

I had a few big customers (6'-5" 300#)who drove SPF's and fit great. I am only 6'-2" so it isn't a problem for me, I can drive them all. Another thing, you sit in a cobra a bit differently than your regular passenger car, it just takes a little getting used to, even when the car fits you fine.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Duane,

I trust we are talking about Marc here? Although I managed to get pretty comfortable in the 95" JBL at 6'4" I am still a bit cramped. I could use another 2" but it's really not bad. If I had it to do again, I would have altered the driver's foot box. Actually just the pedal mounts and sheet metal below. The foot box is way deep enough, it's just the pedal location. As it is, I have altered the pedals to maximize the entire depth of the foot box. I am comfy but just not quite all the way comfy. Also in the JBL you are not sitting on top of the chassis. You are sitting on a 1" tube. I will re-configure the 1x2 tube to allow my seat to sit on the sheet metal floor skin. The seat mounts thru the side into the frame rails, Kirkey aluminum road race seats. Tipped back, you get excellent thigh support. I am pretty happy with the arrangement but it can always be better.

I guess where I'm trying to go here is, performance first....pick the car...and then tailor it. That is my recommendation. It would be pretty easy to accomplish. My eye line is just a bit above my air cleaner. I may be too low.

Marc is about my size. When we have our little party at the rod shop, I will try to have my car there with the actual seat installed for him. If he has never sat in a JBL he won't believe it. What did you call it... a scaled up go kart? That's about right.

I would be happy to help out.

John
Old 04-24-2003, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None Yet
Not Ranked     

Check out Lone Star Classics. I visited their place two weeks ago and "fitted" into several. I (6'4") fit nicely and had my eye balls centered in the middle of the windshield. Great product with good quality.
auto10x
Bill
Old 04-24-2003, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

Check out Kirkham. David K promised that they could make a few adjustments to make my 6'4" frame and size 13 shoes fit.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

I have heard that Bob Evans may be selling his beautiful Unique FIA. You must be at least 6'3" for his car so it may be what you are looking for. Give him a try.

Stu
Old 04-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default at least a few options...

Everyone... Thank You.

This is useful information and first-hand confirmation on various makes, models, and manufacturers that are willing to make modifications.

I'm definitlely going to pass this thread along to googleneck. I'm trying to help him eliminate this final excuse that he's come up with more than a few times. No more excuses from him now, he can read it here from all of you!

Any other recommendations not already covered would be appreciated. He's got a few good choices now to start looking at.

See Ya.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A couple of weeks ago I was up at ERA and sat in a car sans seat and had plenty of room, so I think with the right racing seat and no dead pedal I would fit decently. (6'6, 250)

Jordan
Old 04-24-2003, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA w/393 c.i. Windsor
Not Ranked     

I am 6'1" tall and when I purchased my car, I weighed 250. Now at 210 lbs. I cannot drive with the seat in the rearmost position. I sit well down into the car and look through the lower one-half of the windshield. The legroom is exceptional. With the racing seat, I think that you might need a pillow under you.

Ted Cummings