Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New Member saying "Hello".

Hi, a member suggested I post as a new member, listing the car essentials.

I was never a Cobra fanatic, I did not know enough about them and I was a teen in the late 70's so mid engined Italian cars were my "ultimate" in styling.

Fast forward decades of motocycles and racing, but also appreciating cars, I bought what I always said I would go to if I got tired of bikes, or got too old for bikes: A Lotus Super 7.

Immediately upon ownership I found that our twisty back roads in New England where I hot rod motorcycles around new are full of "humps"....hills and dales, where you really can't see over the next hump in a car as low as the Lotus. This never occurred to me as regular passenger cars are no problem, being much higher and motorcycles have a very high vantage points. In the Lotus, no chance knowing if there is a kid in the road.....or a car backing out of the driveway.

What to get that's a little higher? I went through a giant list of what might light me up after having fast sports bikes, and ended up thinking a 427SC.

I wanted the lightness of a small block but the feel of what the cars came with, the 427FE. So an aluminum block 427 CX or SPF or ERA would fit the bill.
I found a SPF, SPO 0113, and bought it. Essentials are:

427 Pond aluminum block built by Keith Craft, stroked to 482, rollers, 10:1, dyno'd 601/610.
Tremec
3.73:1
Smiths
Moto wheel
Willwood
knock offs
Red with dual white stripes.

It indeed is fun, good power, will leave 2 long black marks on the highway in any gear. Fun handling.

I read a lot about how 427s can be "widow makers", how the tail will "come around and bite you in an instant", all that, but if find this to be a very easy to handle car.

In fact, most Cobra guys I met at shows tried to talk me into 351-based motors, saying that the 427 block motors that are built are just too much power. Maybe coming from race bikes with better power to weight ratios and running on 2 little contact patches teaches constant vigilance with throttle, tire loading, focus, etc. helps. I also had a 650hp Porsche 930, after having one of those sideways on the street with throttle lots of other things seem tame. In any case, I am amazed at the tractability and controllability of the car in all attitudes. Definitely a car which you can have fun playing with the throttle in turns.

I've had the Cobra for a year now. I was looking for a car that has the edge of a high performance motorcycle, this is probably as close as I'll find, though it is still a bit mild in comparison.

I'm glad to find a forum that seems pretty active.
Ozzie Goat likes this.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory five
Not Ranked     

Welcome. Sounds like a nice car, any pics? There is no such thing as to much power either

Joe
Old 09-01-2016, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Welcome!!!
Old 09-01-2016, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forumn and i also was looking for something with motorcycle performance, i wanted an ariel atom after doing a trackday in one but they r not legal in CT and having a Montana or Arizona plate would get the attention of the cops in my small town. Thats when i discovered Cobras, hopefully i will have it asap. I still ride my motorcycle but no where as much as i use to due to shoulder issues but now i will have another toy to get the adrenaline pumping.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your purchase. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to email me.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 09-01-2016, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Well I grew up on a motorcycle. Not much power 100 cc. Biggest bike I owned was a 750 cc about 85 hp if memory serves. I owned quit a few BB cars and some fairly hot SB, in my teens. I dropped a 283 into a Chevy Vega. Nothing I ever owned would handle as good as my Cobra does. So I share your opinion to some degree. Although I don't push it hard.

Welcome to the madness and do stay safe.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsy View Post
Welcome to the forumn and i also was looking for something with motorcycle performance, i wanted an ariel atom after doing a trackday in one but they r not legal in CT and having a Montana or Arizona plate would get the attention of the cops in my small town. Thats when i discovered Cobras, hopefully i will have it asap. I still ride my motorcycle but no where as much as i use to due to shoulder issues but now i will have another toy to get the adrenaline pumping.
funny you say that... when I moved from Colorado to CT, I drove with my CO plates for about 10 months. I live in Cheshire (1 town over from Naugi) and got pulled over twice, both times in Naugatuck. Once for 5 miles over the speed limit (given a warning) still had a colorado license that made the plates make sense. The second time the cop said he had seen me a few times in town but noticed the out of state plates and wanted to give me a "friendly" reminder that I had to transfer 30? days to get a license and transfer plates

I had a cheshire cop follow me into my garage one day because he heard the car go up the street and wanted to see what was making the noise... car guy though and just curiosity
Millsy likes this.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the welcome guys.

The talk of CT small town cops reminds me of the nightmare with a Lotus Super 7 / Caterham that I bought, it had the CA S100 or whatever that exemption was, but no go in New Hampshire! I spent more time with the DMV on the phone, so much so I almost went the Montana plate route. But I knew that once cops started noticing this odd car with out of state plates I would also be getting friendly reminders. Finally I found a way to register it but by then also found out it was too low for our hill and dale roads and I could not see over the next hump for any obstacles.

Blas, thank you for the offer to e-mail you. I will have a question for you or the forum about updating my clutch with larger master so I get more travel....it barely disengages and when hot it does not totally disengage, so it is hard to shift. I suspect the prior driver put a good amount of wear on synchros, I can live with that, but I'll need to take care of it. I guess early SPFs had this problem and there was an update, not sure.

It's also coincidental about the offer to e-mail, and the note on your signature about wiring diagram, I just went nuts putting the battery in after having it out for last winter (busy summer.....) and went nuts as the fuel pump would not work. Finally I realized that there was another connection somewhere that had come undone, I pulled the carpet and there it was. Connected it, fuel pump came on, car started.

Now I have to get lots of miles on before December!

Olddog, I was impressed with the handling, considering it is an old design. I could not believe my luck last year when one of the two 427 alum blocks I could find in the country for sale was 18 miles away from me, a CSX, a year old and 2k miles or something like that. I convinced the consignment shop to let me go out with him and I just had to see how it handled. I told him "Now don't be afraid, I'm going to swerve here, but not into the oncoming lane, I want to feel transient response, I won't break her free...." but I think he was white knuckled. Then, "I"m going to steadily open it up, I won't rev over 5, but I need to see power, I"m covering the clutch, anything happens and clutch goes down, I won't get her sideways.....". Again, apprehension on his face.....

Finally, "OK, we're going only 40, next side street that has no curb and a lawn beyond, I'm going to suddently turn right as fast as I can, she won't break free, but I need to check out cornering". Three streets down, BAM, hard fast cut, he was white, but this was totally safe. Bottom line, I was impressed. But they would not deal....wanted $148k!! So, I bought the SPF, come to find out, it really felt identical to me in handling.

Now, it isn't the Lotus Super 7, but what is?

Have fun, keep safe...
Old 09-02-2016, 02:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That was a great introductory post and you have a great Cobra. Glad that you found one so close to you and could try it out. Have fun but always be alert as they can get away from you in a heartbeat. I grew up road racing and still learn something every time I take the cars out for a spirited drive.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 09-02-2016, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum good story. I grew up loving these cars agree with other members too much power not true in my case either. Sounds like you have a fun car enjoy it as much as you can.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

Welcome! Sounds like you got yourself a great Cobra to make your own. I recently picked up SPF 0963. Currently with it up at Limerock, Ct for the historic races. Anyway, good luck with yours and stay safe!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sounds like there are a number of Cobras in CT. Do you guys get together?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Does this look familiar Cobra Kid?

DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063

Last edited by G-Pete; 09-02-2016 at 05:45 PM..
Old 09-02-2016, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra-Kid View Post
Sounds like there are a number of Cobras in CT. Do you guys get together?
I actually did a search of this and found some old threads where CT members did get together, i emailed the posters and didnt get any response so they may of sold their cars or are no longer members or worse. I wouldnt mind getting together for a cruise night or meet ONCE i get my car, Pace Performance is shipping the motor trans and it should b there next week. I work for myself and make my own hours so i am available during the week or Fridays which will be Family cruise night so that would be ideal especially now in the Fall time. Sat and Sundays wouldnt really work for me since i have a 6 year old who plays 2 sports each season plus the weekends is Family time in general. So i am definitely interested in getting something going, even if once a month to start. I would even host the first one at my house and go out in my vette before i get my cobra. If we get some interest we can start a thread for those interested.
EDIT, Some Sundays would work also

Last edited by Millsy; 09-02-2016 at 06:23 AM..
Old 09-02-2016, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SPF 2063

Last edited by G-Pete; 09-02-2016 at 05:41 PM..
Old 09-02-2016, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi G-Pete,

The links in your posts are not working for me.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Welcome.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra-Kid View Post
Hi G-Pete,
The links in your posts are not working for me.
I think I fixed it, what do you think?
SPF 2063
Old 09-03-2016, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Pete View Post
I think I fixed it, what do you think?
Yeah, that looks familiar! So, do you know the car, or did you do a search, or what?!
Old 09-03-2016, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

Was this car at Lime Rock Park yesterday? If so, I was parked next to you with mine.