Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 07:18 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

I don't. They've had a couple versions over the years so you'd need remove your old axles and measure. David may also want to see a pic of what you have.
It all started when I needed to replace my torn aero boots. Kirkham's new boots only fit their new axles. It was a bit of an extreme overhaul but GKN makes it impossible to get the old aero boot that Kirkham used at the time. David's option was to use an ugly off the shelf boot, what he called the "John Deer" boot, or I could upgrade. Since I'm running more TQ than most, I figured the upgrade wasn't a bad idea.
BTW, there is a nice 'off the shelf' solution for those needing new boots on old axles. The sand rail "Mini-Max" boot and steel flange will work, looks nice and well made.

Last edited by rodneym; 10-10-2016 at 08:24 AM..
Old 10-13-2016, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Yesterday I painted my wheel inners to look like they were Dow7 coated.

and I tossed my lugnuts into my vibrating tumbler with the coursest stone I had, and then painted them to match.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2016, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Making my own comp screen, because I can and all the other do not do me well...

DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 10-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Restained wheel ......
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2016, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #949, 392 FMS
Not Ranked     

Noticed some play in the steering wheel and attributed it to the new tires and wheels not seated, but got it on the lift and discovered (thankfully) that the steering rack was broke in half.
Also took care of a few rock dings...amazing how much better she looks and drives!
Attached Images

Antny likes this.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

I polished out some scratches in the aluminum, tightened up the steering linkage, cleaned my air filter, and checked all my suspension fasteners (everything was tight). I could stare at the underside of a Kirkham all day long - work of art under there!
Old 10-16-2016, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I fabbed up a 2nd set of sidepipes, for "occasional use"...

3 inch straight through track pipes, no mufflers, White Hi-Temp paint. LOUD.

After bolting them on the car, I went for a 45 minute ride and terrorized the good church-going people of the world...

and while I had the black sidepipes off the car, I gave them a sanding, and a re-spray with flat black.. the glossier black hi temp paint just wasn't growing on me...
Attached Images

Last edited by moore_rb; 10-16-2016 at 08:43 PM..
Old 10-31-2016, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Finally... today completed a weekend long job of building a pair of headers from scratch for my Classic Roadsters with a 302. I bought the flange and starter tubes along with the 4 collector plate from StainlessHeaders.com and bought 1.75" pipe from my local auto parts store. This was a job I was dreading since the second hand kit I bought (Classic Roadsters hahaha surprised ??) of course the headers are no longer available or could not be found anywhere.
moore_rb likes this.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I made a fuel splash guard (or wind guard- whatever they're called ) out of some 16 gauge steel, and some stainless hardware. Total cost, about $25, including paint and primer, plus about 6 hours of relaxation out in the garage.

It was actually pretty tricky, because the base piece had to be contoured to match the slope in the rear deck, and I'm not a sheet metal guy (I mean, I rolled the vertical piece into it's crescent shape, using an old 4 inch glasspack from my scrap pile as a rolling pin )

I snapped a couple pics along the way:

Name:  20161118_120404.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  20161118_125503.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  87.1 KB

and here it is all bolted on this morning, after letting the paint sit overnight:

Name:  20161119_081303.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  89.9 KB
1985 CCX and Shootnride like this.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Finally installed jack.
Attached Images

CompClassics, moore_rb and Antny like this.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Put mine away for the winter. Fueled it up, parked on large plastic tarp, wood under tires, tires inflaterd to 35lbs., battery tender attached, wiped it down, covered. Will start once a month till April when it comes home. Now looking for cave to hibernate in till then.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 11-19-2016, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Put mine away for the winter. Fueled it up, parked on large plastic tarp, wood under tires, tires inflaterd to 35lbs., battery tender attached, wiped it down, covered. Will start once a month till April when it comes home. Now looking for cave to hibernate in till then.
Really? Why, might I ask, do you start it monthly?
Old 11-19-2016, 04:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim7139 View Post
Really? Why, might I ask, do you start it monthly?
So that he can put moisture in to the oil and sidepipes. If you had to sleep for five months you'd get thirsty too.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Treated the fuel, put a breathable dust cover on it in the garage... I live at a ski area in the Cascade Mountains and it is snowing...
Old 11-20-2016, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Finally got the missing motor parts from USA, via Germany to South Africa and can start the rebuild next week out on my farm. I was out of cash for a while, so I had to delay everything a bit.

Then I carry on with the chassis build, eventually the body... This is going on since almost 6 years now!

This could be my retirement car!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

More scrapped work. It never ends
Old 11-22-2016, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Yes, I start it religiously on a monthly basis. The fuel when stored is about 50% 110 octane with a can of Sea Foam in it. I have a custom made a removable heating pad that covers the bottom of the oil pan that I can preheat to oil for when temperatures are extreme (Jan-March) before starting it. I flip the heating pad on the day before I start the car...
I will have oil temperature registering in 2 or 3 mins even on the coldest days.
Car will run for 30+ mins. and till fans can cycle full temperature water thru the engine for a while. When oil temp will approach 100C you have removed all condensation in the engine, etc. After car cools down I have 2 foam NERF balls that I slip into the exhaust ends. Car comes home in early April. Been doing the same thing with the Porsche since I got it in the 70's. That car sits in storage almost year round these days....No other cars in and out of garage so no moisture in garage on floor. Starting it releases the constant pressure on the valve spring that are compressed.... And... I like to sit in the garage with the cars running and the door closed until i'm ready to pass out..... hahaha
Actually, usually shoveling snow, chipping ice, or picking up trash around yard while all this is happening...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 11-23-2016, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

Picked a pair of those fish-eye curved mirrors at my local auto parts store and installed them in my fakey-do Radyots. I feel like such a stud now. LOL.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:37 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowan Replicars, 352 4V
Not Ranked     

Experimenting with making ferrules, will probably make some more a bit closer to the real thing. They are turned out of 3/4" stainless steel rod then polished.

moore_rb likes this.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Installing a period correct opposed 48IDA Weber system on a clients original 289 Cobra.
Attached Images

cobra and moore_rb like this.