28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you gentlemen. I estimate about 300 hrs in figuring it all out and making it happen. Sounds excessive but I gave it over a month of 8 hour days to get it done tastefully. I'm very happy with the turn out because everything was a first. Things like trimming nearly 3" out of the hieght of the top to cutting an aray of brackets to fasten it. Priming and block sanding to making a new roll bar. Electric actuators lifting the top without it putting pressure on the windshield was also a little tricky. This is just a hobby for me not my profession. Only thing I got help with was colour matching the paint and laying it. If you know Mr Bruce's tops, you'll see that they come with the gas filler cradle on the passenger side of the top. That was a bit of work to remove and fill. You may notice that the stock shape of the side vents has been changed to accommodate the round pop up vents. That was like doing dentistry lol. Anyway, I would be happy to photograph the four mounting points and posting it. Basically two sliding brackets at the top corners of the windshield and two quick latches just behind the doors. Strong enough to withstand any stresses.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The square tubbing behind the roll bar is what raises and lowers the top. Actuators mounted to the roll bar beneath the body in the trunk. That second hoop is easily removed when you run with no top. If you can see the two small studs behind the door. Those are for the Quick Latches. And the steel plate with the holes fastened to the sides of the windshield pillars are there to support the point where the roof brackets pivot when the top is opened.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2017, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh and the custom base rings are for the enlarged holes around the roll bar and actuators. The round hole is being made into a scoop to pull air into the trunk where I'm relocating the battery. If the old holes have to be there they may as well be usefu.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Before and after pics. of the car of how I bought it till now after my changes
Old 01-23-2017, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Had problems loading.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2017, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

Really beautiful work! And you transformed the car from "just another Cobra" to a one of kind show stopper!
Old 01-24-2017, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quick Latch location. Needed to make custom tapered washers to keep the stud vertical. Custom aluminum brackets to hold the button. Epoxy was used to mend the brackets to the fibreglass body. Extremely strong. Clamping system with the ability to quickly release when I want access to the trunk
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2017, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With the actuators in the fully extended position the brackets at the windshield have to allow for travel without pressure on the glass. The pressure is passed onto the side brackets that are fastened to the pillars. As for the hard top the brackets are slotted so that the curvature of the glass is not an issue. It allows the top to move freely as opposed to a fixed axis bracket that would put severe pressure on the center of the windshield. The rubber gasket is a Home Depot silicon rubber weather strip. Looks very Factory correct if there's such a thing. I haven't tested any of the possible whistle noise but I think that rubber should do the trick. Hope this was helpful. Thanks for the compliments.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2017, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

KBeing 28 yrs old......I recently changed my fuel filler which ended up being the complete fuel system overhaul. Just replaced my gearbox, from the jag moss box to a 5 speed T5.Right after ....my motor blew a piston.......motor apart.........at the same time I decided to do my front end , while it is apart.......All new bushing and ball joints....lower control arms from series 1 xj have mettalastic bushings, a ***** ..but those done. My rear also is coming apart ...the fulcrum rods ...both inners and outers have some play.....I have the new ones in hand ...do that next week ....and at same time putting my LSD back which I had taken out to fix leaks........also just put new wheels.......I really hated the old ones.I lived with them .....priorities!
When the mechanicals are finished I will do the paint and resew a new softtop.......I made that 28 yrs ago too, so the clear plastic is all faded........in a month or so ...it will be a new car........
Old 01-24-2017, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang View Post
Finished my hard top from Mr. Bruce. Added two linear actuators in the trunk behind the rollbar. No need to cut the trunk for access. Also adds some cool factor without adding any weight to the car.
Beautiful! Hope mine comes out as nice. My Mr Bruce top has the rear window hatch access.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds good. Post some pics of the hard top. Im curious to see how cool that is. I didn't get it because I originally didn't care if I got access to the trunk and then while I was waiting to have the top shipped to me I noticed how often I went into the trunk.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sounds good. Post some pics of the hard top. Im curious to see how cool that is. I didn't get it because I originally didn't care if I got access to the trunk and then while I was waiting to have the top shipped to me I noticed how often I went into the trunk.
Well i just got it a few months ago, and its still in storage. I have a long way to go with my build before I start body work.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 01-24-2017, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are you keeping the stock height for the roll bar or making your own height. I removed mine, under cut the roof a ton to where I was happy with the look of it then measured the room left for a roll bar. 3" shorter is what I got. Looking forward to your progress. Cheers
Old 01-24-2017, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

That's the same Mr Bruce top as mine. I too plan to shave it down somewhat to get a pleasing profile. Will need to reshape the side quarter windows.

Ang; how easy/difficult is it to get in/out of the car with the top on?
Old 01-24-2017, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Are you keeping the stock height for the roll bar or making your own height. I removed mine, under cut the roof a ton to where I was happy with the look of it then measured the room left for a roll bar. 3" shorter is what I got. Looking forward to your progress. Cheers
I'm leaving the roll bar as it is, will trim the top down as much as possible.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Myself/Body from CSX-2575 & hand built Birdcage
Send a message via Skype™ to map
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akimbeau View Post
I put some new shoes on the 289 and took it in for a front alignment. They found the rear end thrust angle was off so I brought it home and Old Schooled it with string line and a tape measure. Loosened everything up and used a piece of a steel bedframe as a cheater bar on the wheel to push things straight and got her dead nuts on!

With all the crawling around on the concrete for hours, I wish I could say I just changed the oil....
3 mirrors & a laser...
Old 01-24-2017, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Myself/Body from CSX-2575 & hand built Birdcage
Send a message via Skype™ to map
Not Ranked     

Old 01-24-2017, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

One of the things I am really pleased I did when building was make the dashboard easily removable (Two wing nuts to undo) and leave enough play in the loom to pull the dashboard away to easily access all the wiring. I can lay the dashboard flat on my lap when sitting in the seat.
Jaydee and 66gtk like this.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Made my Door glass. Didn't want sliding glass. Like having my arm out the window.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2017, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

Finally got mine back on the road after a year! Took it apart to correct front suspension geometry, replace shocks, remove power steering, and remove all excess parts/wiring from the engine compartment. I thought I would only have it apart for a month but life got in the way...

Been too busy driving to take many pictures so this is all for now...
Attached Images

Jaydee likes this.