LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2017, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
With an Iphone or Ipad, it is almost impossible to hack the Pad or phone.
Unless the hackers are NSA or CIA...
Old 03-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
Oh....well, Dr. Phil was wrong, then. The law requires the businesses comply with " unsubscribe" requests...but I never thought about them selling my address when I sent the unsub request.

I can delete the unwanted emails daily, but they are back the next day, if not the same day.

There is no hope for us BHOFs who are not tech savvy....

Dugly
Let's say I get an email from Bank of America with my name spelled correctly and it mentions the correct last 4 digits of my account number and the rest of the text is grammatically correct and there are pretty pictures and the company's logo is displayed correctly and there is an unsubscribe at the bottom of the email, I might be tempted to click on that unsubscribe link. But most likely I will log into the Bank of America website directly in a browser (as opposed to using a link from an email) and then figure out where to control my junk email on their website.

On the other hand if I get an email for setting me up with Russian brides that has an unsubscribe link in it, there is no way I am clicking on any links anywhere in that email, even if I was interested in Russian brides, which I am not.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
...each day I "unsubscribe" from tens of unwanted spam sites to which I have never subscribed, but they always return.

Could the redirects be responsible?

Cheers?....certainly not for the spammers!!!

Dugly
I've not noticed an increase in spam but then I don't use the web browser to read email on my cell phone (I use blue mail because the default mail app on the S7 took a huge step backwards from the one on the S4).

Unsubscribing from spam email is the worst thing you can do. It just confirms to them that your email is live and then they sell you to others. It's best to ignore it.

Most email hosts do a pretty good job of filtering spam these days. My domain and email is hosted by earthlink and every once in a while I log into the native email and look to see. They do get some they shouldn't but it's easy to add them to the whitelist.

If you have a registered domain you can determine WHERE your email is delivered. As I said, mine is directed to Earthlink (even though it stays in my domain name). I've thought about creating my own mail server. Observe that most email servers ACCEPT all emails, and merely direct filtered spam to a specific folder, but the message is still rejected. My server would behave like this: First recognize the event that everyone has probably seen at some time when you sent a message, you might get a reply from the server saying that the message was temporarily undeliverable and that your sending system would keep trying. My server would use this to temporarily reject with a soft error all email that is not on a white list. My server would then send me a message (daily) with the pending blocked message list, at which time I would white list the non-spam senders. Spam senders would continue to receive the "unable to deliver" until they time out, at which time they also remove it from their live list never to be bothered again. It shouldn't be too hard to do this since the basic SMTP (mail receiver) code is available from several open source sites.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Yesterday (censored and not animated):

Today:

Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I avoid the "redirecting" issues by logging in via one of the links I get by mail from replies to posts that I subscribed to.

That works on Firefox and Apple.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well at least this redirect was not telling me I had a virus...

Old 03-22-2017, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Jamo,
I see you took the time to respond to a couple humorous posts. How about a little info on what is being done (if anything) to correct this problem? I think it safe to say that a lot of member here are concerned. And I have seen nothing to date stating that it is being looked into in any way by anyone.
redmt and Texasdoc like this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 03-22-2017, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I traveled over the weekend and took along my Nook tablet and for the first time in a couple months tried to go to Club Cobra and got all sorts of junk popups and hack warnings. Doesn't seem to be an issue with my laptop but won't be coming here with the Nook again.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

IMO just looking at the 12 out of 14 scripts that get blocked every time I visit this site it appears this is not going to get "fixed".
(I use AdBlock Pro as it works great and also it logs all the blocked scripts)

Some are not malicious like Vigilink which also runs on this site but is also a pay-per-click re-direct. It kicks in when you click someones posted link to Summit Racing etc...
Some of the scripts are re-directs and many sites use them as additional income just like banner ads and pop-ups.

The Net is full of interesting articles on how to generate income from either sending folks from elsewhere into the host site (meaning this one) or from the host to other places.
The later is the money generator for the host and what this site appears to be doing.

Just my opinion, and although doubtful I admit I could be 100% wrong.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
I think it safe to say that a lot of member here are concerned. And I have seen nothing to date stating that it is being looked into in any way by anyone.
What he said.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
The later is the money generator for the host and what this site appears to be doing.

Just my opinion, and although doubtful I admit I could be 100% wrong.
I prefer to think that the owners are not deliberately trying to send loyal Cobra followers to what amounts to spam and scams.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:37 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

I'd like to offer your consideration of my IT guy to assist. I'll fund an hour, maybe two of his initial time. Not knowing if there's interest in such, respecting there could be others already involved, and recognizing he'd likely need to get invasive to some extent to assess things, I've sat back at the ready if needed. However, appears it's still going on. He is at the ready and of course has asked if there'd be any chance of getting any kind of admin access to the site or the hosting account. More than likely the redirects are in the sites configuration files.

At the same time, I'm not interested in taking on any liability for site issues, or as a referral affecting such. So you'd have to be comfortable with him or your arrangement with him. On that basis I'll gladly reimburse/fund some initial time. While you'd need to assess your comfort level with him, he may be worthy of your short list evaluation efforts, he has kept our sixty employees up and running across multiple states, and most often with remote dial in admin assistance. So you may find his remote assistance could work for you.

If you'd like to pursue that consideration, I'd gladly put him/you in touch. He's generally available day, night or weekends, and can dial in remote fairly easily to access pertinent systems. Feel free to pm me or post here if interested and I will respond promptly.

I'd love to see these site issues get resolved for everyone, members and owners alike!

Thanks, Brent
Old 03-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

Not trying to do this deliberately, fellas...I have tried a lot...A LOT to figure out what is going on. I just do not know what is going on exactly. I presume that google is not doing this...I wish everyone knew how much I friggin care, but I feel a bit spent. I did try to turn off more stuff tonight in another attempt (chasing my tail). I do not know if it will help.

I have actually never experience this once, which is not helping me to diagnose the problem either.

SORRY.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It didn't help because I was just sent to lalaland just before reading this.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

From past experiences with Brent I know that he is trying everything he can think of to solve this. But the fact it seems to more or less come and go and especially as it only seems to affect mobile devices makes it very hard to pinpoint. I would think if Google was doing it that it would also affect desktops using the Chrome Browser. Just my 2 cents worth.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It may be spreading to desktop platforms. I view by using the "new posts" button, and opened this topic (as my first) and got a new spam window for some fake firefox update (from a non-firefox website.)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For the first time I had a re-direct from desktop browsers this morning. I'm running:
  • Firefox 52.0 (64-bit)
  • Chrome Version 57.0.2987.110 (64-bit)
  • Linux Mint 18.1 XFCE 4)

Bitdefender TrafficLight reports these trackers on the re-directing page:
  • Google Adsense
  • Google Analytics
Old 03-23-2017, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Mills View Post
Not trying to do this deliberately, fellas...I have tried a lot...A LOT to figure out what is going on. I just do not know what is going on exactly. I presume that google is not doing this...I wish everyone knew how much I friggin care, but I feel a bit spent. I did try to turn off more stuff tonight in another attempt (chasing my tail). I do not know if it will help.

I have actually never experience this once, which is not helping me to diagnose the problem either.

SORRY.
Not that this will help with re-directs, but you may wish to run site URLs through this Google tool - I did and the report indicated there are a few things that should be addressed.

https://testmysite.thinkwithgoogle.com/
Old 03-23-2017, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just now opened the main forum page and clicked on the "last page" and it took me to an IQ test. I didn't take it! I stay logged in when I open CC from my Firefox browser on my PC. If I try it from my Droid it will redirect near every time. Maybe it's time to get some outside pro to take a look and see what's up?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Same problem here. I only visit from laptop and this is the first time I've seen the problem.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor