Old 12-15-2016, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Well... I saw the site go down today and this was one of the first "New Posts" topics so I opened it. No problems on the PC (but there wasn't, except for the Top 10 things). So I opened it on my phone...Not so good:

First, this comes up complete with space age sound effects:

Attachment 29402

Followed by this:

Attachment 29403

Note that this does not happen every time, but I did have to use the "New Posts" to get it. It doesn't happen on the forum index page (or hasn't so far)
I want to confirm that you are still seeing this as of now or was this earlier? Thanks much for the input.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I looked up the Four Virus on google and it says that the phone is the carrier, yet there were none of the things the "how to remove" article says, and the instructions given to clear the browsers cache and data (forcing me to reenter all my passwords and favorites). Everything was going swimmingly UNTIL I opened the Club Cobra page and I got the exact same thing again.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Mills View Post
I want to confirm that you are still seeing this as of now or was this earlier? Thanks much for the input.
This is happening now, after your query about whether it was or not.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, also so I better understand, as I can't reproduce this myself, you mentioned that you looked up "Four Virus" and it's something that is on your phone? I'm just trying to better understand the issue without being able to see it directly...

Also, is the redirect at the time that you click on "new posts" or after the page loads or somewhere else?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, also so I better understand, as I can't reproduce this myself, you mentioned that you looked up "Four Virus" and it's something that is on your phone? I'm just trying to better understand the issue without being able to see it directly...

Also, is the redirect at the time that you click on "new posts" or after the page loads or somewhere else?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Note that this only happens on the Club Cobra forum. Other searches indicate if it is on every site then the phone is infected, but if it is only ONE then the chances are it is the site. And they specifically mention AD PROVIDERS!

Your system is heavily damaged by Four virus! pop-up ads | Stay Protected

This makes sense since the variable content at this site is in fact the ads. So it might not be Club Cobra that is infected, but the variable content linked to for the ads. This would apply if the ads in CC are links to other content and not wholly contained within the database of CC itself. Brent, this might be something to look into.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It seems to be working fine on my Ipad. The new posts are now showing where they had not been for the past few weeks.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Looks like we're crossing posts. Before I did the web browser data reset it happened only when I did new posts, but then when I did the reset it was on the first visit to the site and not even in the forum area! It does appear that this "hijacking" is specific to android devices. Again, I suggest looking at the ad content to see if they are bogus. The intermittent nature of the attack could be from the ads since they are random, right?

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 12-15-2016 at 04:55 PM..
Old 12-15-2016, 05:05 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, all of the ads that show on the home page or on the new posts page are controlled by me (the content is not coming from somewhere else) and none of it is popup style....So I'll take a look at the ad content I control to double check there's not something whacky going on there, but thinking about how the system works, I doubt it is that directly. Hmmm....
Old 12-15-2016, 05:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

A successful remedy on some other sites experiencing the same problem was for the Android user to reset his Google AD ID, which apparently breaks the link on how the adware is delivered to the device.

To do this on your Android phone, go to: Settings > Google > Ads > Reset advertising ID.

Then see if you can get the ad to come up again after hitting the site (like CC) where you were having the problem.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:14 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Looks like we're crossing posts. Before I did the web browser data reset it happened only when I did new posts, but then when I did the reset it was on the first visit to the site and not even in the forum area! It does appear that this "hijacking" is specific to android devices. Again, I suggest looking at the ad content to see if they are bogus. The intermittent nature of the attack could be from the ads since they are random, right?
I had the problem earlier today and I have an iPhone, not an android.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I spoke too soon. Took me to a site about medical marijuana, another called pegasus.com, and some site for virus software. 3 times in a row. This is on an Ipad.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I spoke too soon. Took me to a site about medical marijuana, another called pegasus.com, and some site for virus software. 3 times in a row. This is on an Ipad.
Are you saying that when you come to this site you are automatically redirected?
Old 12-15-2016, 07:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
I had the problem earlier today and I have an iPhone, not an android.
Depends what IOS is being used too. I had no problems with my iPhone or my PC. My iPad asks me to "block or allow" a pop up, which I block of course.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:54 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is odd then...So far as I know I do not have any popup advertising that could be initiated from my site...I have turned off popup blocking on my browsers and I am not seeing any popups (I do not have IOS or Android). Computers!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

My iPad was an update behind. No pop ups being blocked now.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Brent,

This is probably not related but three days ago when I logged on using my desktop and two different Browsers, on the top of the Forum page all I could see was the names of the posters. No new threads or posts as all of that was just blank. Now this morning it is all showing up Ok. I also tried my other computer using a different OS and got the same thing.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-16-2016, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Are you saying that when you come to this site you are automatically redirected?
I can come to the site, but the minute I touch the screen to go to a forum like All Cobra Talk, it redirects me. I cleared my cookies and history. I could not even log-in on my Ipad this morning. Every time I touched the screen to enter my name, it redirected me to some other spam site.

My home computer seems to work fine, but it has anti pop-up software and all that other good stuff.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Guys-

For many of you, this issue is due to some security vulnerabilities in Android. The exploiters are using a built in popup feature in Chrome to display all these "warning" pages which aren't legitimate warnings at all - they want you to click their links, so that they can install even more malware onto your phone.

The quickest way to address this, and still keep all your login and cached data, is to go into your Android's file manager, look for a folder called "GoAdSDK" and delete it; then, do a full shut down/restart on your phone. This android ad-based malware is very tenacious, so don't be surprised if it comes back.

Installing an ad blocker/firewall like DroidWall will also help.

If you are experiencing this issue on an Apple device, then it would be good to know if you are seeing it using the Chrome browser, or Safari? If you are using Chrome, then the solution for you is the same as above- Go find the GoAdSDK folder, and blow it away

Last edited by moore_rb; 12-16-2016 at 08:03 AM..
Old 12-16-2016, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
Guys-

For many of you, this issue is due to some security vulnerabilities in Android. The exploiters are using a built in popup feature in Chrome to display all these "warning" pages which aren't legitimate warnings at all - they want you to click their links, so that they can install even more malware onto your phone.
I use Firefox on my phone. No such directory on my phone.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 12-16-2016 at 08:30 AM..