• 1 Post By DanEC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Another Registration Question

I have searched this forum and still cant find a definitive answer. I have called my local tag office, they were a little confused and told me to call my state DMV office. They did not have an exact answer for me either. I am hoping someone here has had a similar experience and can shed some light.

I have a Cobra, titled in my name, in the state of FL. It is registered/titled as a 1965 REPLICA. It has been like this for a year and a half. I need to transfer the title to me, here in GA, in an emissions test-required county.

The local DMV says I need the following:

-Registration from FL
-Lien Name/Address
-GA DL
-GA insurance
-$18 transfer fee
-$20 tag fee
-pay 7% of fair market value for the vehicle

The last bullet there is the kicker. The VIN does not display in any system to determine fair market value. The local DMV says "just bring in the VIN and we will run it through the system." - the same system they told me to run it through. So, how is fair market value going to be determined?

I then asked if the car would still be registered in GA as a 1965 Replica. I cant have it registered as anything else because of emissions testing. The local DMV was not sure. I called the state DMV and they acted like they didn't understand what I was asking. I broke it down and asked, if my title in FL says 1965 Replica and I transfer to GA, will the vehicle still be registered as a 1965 replica? Still....they didn't know.

So ....
How is fair market value determined on these cars?
If titled in a state as 1965 Replica, does it get titled the same when transferring to GA? (I know this is a state-specific question)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

You have to pay a 7% tax on the vehicle your already own just to bring it in the state and register it?? Or is this a annual personal property tax thing? (which is still higher than heck). Thank God for Arkansas.

I gave Arkansas my basic kit purchase invoice for a basis of personal property tax and then I go down and ask them to depreciate it's value every year. They registered it new as a "no sale" with no sales tax.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Anyone who brings a car to ga and wants to register it in ga must pay 7% of the car's fair market value. Example: you live in TN and buy an $80k Mercedes in 2015. In 2017, you move to ga. The fair market value on your car is determined to be $60k, based on a website. You owe ga, $4200 in ad valorem.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

....this was implemented March, 2013. $ is collected upfront, rather than yearly when your tag is renewed
Old 04-13-2017, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I take it there aren't many car flippers residing in GA.
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, more bad news for GA residents. I have a clear FL title as a 1965 Roadster. I went to the GA DMV today with all of my documentation. They told me that I was going to have to go through the GA salvage process in order to get the car registered. Something I REALLY dont want to do. I asked if I went through the salvage process, what would the car be registered as? They didnt know. (has to be 1965 to avoid emissions). They said I needed to contact a state inspector. I contact state inspector's 'partner.' I ask the same question....she doesnt know.

Possible nice backdraft for sale....w 800 miles.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow - they need to find a well-heeled car enthusiast there to run for the State legislature and fix some of that. That's crazy, especially for something like a Backdraft that isn't even available as anything but a fully finished roller. What the heck does salvage have to do with it?

Well, good luck.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #949, 392 FMS
Not Ranked     

Allcarfan, I sent you a message, as I went through the same process of bringing a BDR in titled as a 65 ford from FL. Only difference is I don't live in an emissions county.
Agree with Dan EC, not sure where they are getting the salvage title info from. Sounds like you got the person that doesn't know what to do and is trying to grasp at straws. If I remember right, I took the title, a vin verification form signed by a police officer showing my vin matched the title, and my bill of sale, paid the ad valorem tax, and walked out with my tag.

Last edited by csw; 04-17-2017 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Added
Old 04-24-2017, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Current work around is to keep the car in FL for over 6 months out of the year and a few months out of the year, bring it to GA. Car remains titled and insured in FL, since that is where it spends most of its life. Glad I travel down there quite a bit and have a place to store it.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Maybe You could get a PO Box in a none smog county, reg the car to that address. Just a thought.

Mark
Old 04-25-2017, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately, I'd still have a salvage title. Also, you have to prove residency with a utilities or tax bill.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Sounds like you got the person that doesn't know what to do and is trying to grasp at straws..
That's a good possibility. When I registered my ERA in Ark I had to go to the main tag office in Little Rock and I told the guy I wanted to register my kit car as a 1965 Ford Cobra replica. He said he didn't have a clue, never having done one of those before. That started the first of two - 5 to 10 minute huddles in the back of the registration office with 4 or 5 people to decide what to do. The second huddle was to decide if they could put an antique tag on it.