• 1 Post By TimG427
  • 2 Post By Paintwerks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2017, 03:55 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra tyres

I'm currently building my Cobra but not quite sure which tyres to use on my 15" rims - Front 7x15/60, Rear 8.5x15/60. Help please!

Last edited by d.l.mckeown10@g; 05-06-2017 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: missed info
Old 05-06-2017, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

I have just installed Goodyear Blue Streak Special Tires (AKA Billboards) which I got from Jegs. They offer free shipping which is not a trivial amount on tires. I am running the 26.5 x 8 x 15 on the front and 26.5 x 10 x 15 on the rear. Just got them mounted and balanced. Ride is very very nice. Actually an improvement over my older BF Goodrich Euro T/A's (no longer made). Each tire was individually boxed by Jegs. Nice service. They arrived in two days time.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Mickey Thompson's or if you have the cash, Avons.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #705, Ford Racing 460 - 514ci
Not Ranked     

The Goodyear Billboards are not DOT which means they are illegal for public roads. If something bad were to happen (like people die type of bad) your insurance company will walk based on having non DOT tires. They will also dry rot quickly.

The AVONS are awesome and DOT branded. I put the Good Year treadwear kit on the AVONS and couldn't be happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66AC View Post
I have just installed Goodyear Blue Streak Special Tires (AKA Billboards) which I got from Jegs. They offer free shipping which is not a trivial amount on tires. I am running the 26.5 x 8 x 15 on the front and 26.5 x 10 x 15 on the rear. Just got them mounted and balanced. Ride is very very nice. Actually an improvement over my older BF Goodrich Euro T/A's (no longer made). Each tire was individually boxed by Jegs. Nice service. They arrived in two days time.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

People need to be careful about using tires that are meant for vintage racing. These tires may say that they are DOT, but they are not road legal. Vintage racing groups require DOT tires, i.e., they have to have tread and cannot be slicks, so race tires are built with minimum tread to comply with the sanctioning bodies. These tires do not handle well in the rain or standing water. In addition, they are not road legal and you could fail your inspection, or as stated above your insurance company could refuse to cover you in an accident as the tires were not road legal.

Being that you already drove on them, probably cannot return, but you might be able to find a vintage racer who is willing to purchase them.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     

We recommend Avons here at Kirkham Motorsports. They aren't as squirrely on the road as Goodyear's are. However, most people love those billboard tires I sure do!

Chris Kirkham
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

I recently replaced my Billboards with Avons. The Billboards were fine, but with 600 horsepower, I didn't want to be without Avons.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

My Cobra is making about 700hp so I needed good tyres. Originally, the car came delivered with M/T Sportsmans, but the engineer certifying my Cobra for road use was not prepared to certify the car with those tyres fitted because they are only 'S' rated and my Cobra is supercharged and capable of a way higher speed than the Sportsmans could support.

So, I went with the Avon CR6-ZZ tyres and I am very happy with them. The engineer was too. I was going to put the Tredwear letters on but I felt:

1. They looked too 'new' and 'perfect', which real Billboards are not.
2. I did not like the raised finish of the Tredwear's as opposed to the Billboards which were roughly sprayed.

So I spent hours redrawing some Goodyear Eagle artwork I was provided and ended up spraying them on with a special mixture of 2 pack paint and stencils I cut on my vinyl cutter, and after drying, I disressed the letters with a 3M Scotchbrite pad.

Very happy with the look, and I receive a LOT of compliments. Nobody has ever said they are not real Billboards. Fully insurance-legal as well!

1985 CCX and KevinW like this.