17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-17-2017, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classics, red white stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Jaguar IRS Half Shafts

I pulled my rear end apart 2 weekends ago to address a whine in the back right. This Contemporary is still fairly new to me, so I figured I'd replace u-joints, wheel bearings, etc., and if that doesn't fix the whine, I'll look at the differential.

At any rate, once I got the back left apart, I noticed the half shaft has twisted about 30 degrees. These are original Jag axles (with the original PN and no weld marks).

I will upload a picture this weekend. I was surprised to see that much twist. I guess I should have gone with a small block

So, what are my options on half shafts? I don't want to use another Jag piece just to watch it twist again. I want the strongest half shafts I can find - within reason. It doesn't need to be made of titanium, but I want something that I can't break.

Likewise for the differential. If I end up pulling it to fix bearings, what is the consensus on making it bulletproof?
Old 05-18-2017, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

You can have new tubular axles made by almost any driveshaft shop. You just need an accurate center-to-center measurement of the yokes. It should cost you about $200 each.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I assume you mean the small shaft that slides into the differential?

Are they 19 spline or 30? Do they have roller or tapered bearings? Depending on the year, early versions are 19 spline, later are 30. Dennis Welch Motorsports in the UK offer upgraded 19 spline versions. Unfortunately, they do not seem to have a clue what they are made of. They are running them behind their race car which is putting out 360 hp. More than likely a far cry from what you are putting out. I had the original versions checked and they were a 1215 forging. One of mine broke and the other was twisted 30 degrees like yours.

I had new 30 spline made from 4340. Cost about $1100 for the pair. The upgrade is pretty easy if you want to keep your same ring and pinion. If you go to the Shop section, I have pictures of the new axles.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

There are many options....

1) You could send lengths needed to 4x4 shaft builder and get HD units.
2) I have gone to local drive shaft shop and had them made. This is inexpensive and generally easy to get done. In my case they were all parts off the shelf.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF
Not Ranked     

Do you have any photos of the rear end?
Old 05-20-2017, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Dutchman Axles used to make a set of custom 4340 stub axles for those, but I don't see them on their site any more. May want to give them a call and see if they are still available. 503-257-6604
They have moved since I visited them last. They used to be close by here in Portland, they moved to Meridian, Idaho.

Are yours 19 spline or 31 spline stub axles? I'm pretty sure Kirkham switched over top the 31 spline stub axles/3rd members for additional strength and reliability. Not sure if they sell the stub axles separately at Kirkham, but there is a differential in the classifieds here that would be perfect for your use with the proper stub axles.

Bob

Last edited by Three Peaks; 05-20-2017 at 11:30 AM..
Old 05-21-2017, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry for not responding in a few days. I don't get a lot of time to come to this website during the week.

I took a pic of the half shafts to show the twist.

I don't have a pic of the differential. Don't you need to see it with the brakes removed? There's not much to see with the disks in the way.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...8/ppuser/13785
Old 05-21-2017, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

I misunderstood, I thought you had twisted stub axles.

Still, it would be worth a call to Dutchman to see if they still make these axles. Also, seems like about a year ago somebody posted a link to some slip joint axles on Amazon that would do the trick. Both ends have the yokes on them, one is a male spline, the other is the female slip joint matching slip sleeve. Price seemed pretty reasonable also.

Bob
Old 05-21-2017, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default half shaft - not axles

Hi Bob,

I didn't twist the axles on either end. It's the half-shaft in the middle. If you look closely, you should be able to tell in the photo.

Will.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought it was the stub axles also. Although considering the half-shaftis twisted, you may have other problems also!

As for the half-shafts, I do have a guy you can contact. They make axles and gear boxes for 20,000 horsepower pulling trucks and tractors. Ask for Craig:

http://www.scsgearbox.com/
Phone: 419-483-7278

They made my stub axles.

Last edited by joyridin'; 05-22-2017 at 04:28 AM..
Old 05-22-2017, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Try this thread-
Spicer 1410 half shafts on Amazon
Old 05-28-2017, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks - squealing found

Thanks everyone for the help.

I put everything back together today, twisted half shafts and all. This is currently my daily driver, so I'll just drive it easy until I replace the half shafts. When my Cobra is down, I drive my wife's car, which is nice, but it isn't a Cobra.

On the positive side, I found the squealing noise. The back right outer wheel bearing was dry. The seal race was spinning where it shouldn't. There were witness marks on the wheel hub side of the race. I repacked everything with new bearings, etc., and the weird noise is gone.

Now i need to order half shafts, and I'll pull it apart again and fix the twisted shafts.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Will! Thanks for this post! After I saw you shafts, I got thinking that I had never checked my shafts for twisting. Sure enough, the one shaft is about 45 degrees twisted and the other was just a few degrees.

I had new shafts made for $460 for the pair. They are 3" diameter, .134" DOM tubing with Spicer Super Duty U-Joints. That price was shipped to my door.

Action Machine Inc - Custom Driveshafts & CNC Machine Shop

Here are the pics in my album if you can find them.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3847

Last edited by joyridin'; 07-13-2017 at 04:38 PM..