17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-22-2017, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 289 FIA
Not Ranked     
Default Clutch Or Transmission Problem?

Every once in a while when stopping, it is hard to get back into 1st gear. Yesterday though it would not go into 1st gear while out on a drive, even when rolling forward.
Once I turned the car off it would engage easily into 1st gear. When driving home and stopping a few times, it did go into 1st gear two of three times-the other time I had to turn the card off, slide into 1st gear, start car and drive on.
Clutch though feels very hard to depress now though versus normal.
Any ideas? It has a Richmond Gear transmission and a Centerforce clutch with a 351 W.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sounds like the clutch dragging.

Try this, engine idling, lightly attempt to select 1st gear, while leaning on the shifter, turn the engine off.

If it falls into gear at the point the engine stops, the clutch is not disengaging sufficiently.

Warped clutch plate, uneven diaphragm pressure, non-concentric release bearing are some causes.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

If it's also hard to get into reverse without grinding then as mentioned above your clutch may not be disengaging sufficiently. You might have air in the system or maybe it just needs adjusting.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

It sounds like the symptoms I had when my clutch linkage got loose and was not fully disengaging the clutch. You didn't mention what kind of clutch actuation system you have. If you have a hydraulic throw out bearing, be sure you know what you're doing before you start adjusting it. They are known to leak when over extended.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-23-2017, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Pilot bearing.

Mark.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Get rid of that clutch

Rjw289 You have a couple of problems, First get rid of the junk,(CENTERFORCE Clutch). I when through 2 trannies with the garbage clutch. Would not shift over 3,000 rpms, wouldn't go into gear when hot. I swapped everything. Found that the weights that slide on the pressure plate, HANG!!!!. Call Bylins and get a twin disc McLeod clutch. Pedal is easy, Holding power is great for a 620 torque/ 525 HP motor had doesn't go over 6,200 rpms. Feed back is also good. I have a fork setup for throw out bearing, ERA setup. I had a Tilton thrown out bearing and the seals leaked a couple of times, went back to basics. I call Centerforce 7 times, got no tech help, was told everything was wrong or bad but their clutch. I finally removed the sliding weights and could shift at 6,000 rpms. I when to a bigger motor and asked Bylkins about a better clutch for a bigger motor with alot more power. Twin Disc is the way to go. Easy to setup, been racing 5 years and no problems. Worth the extra money. You wouldn't be sorry to buy this.
Richmond trannies, You didn't say which one you have. When they get real hot they bind or will not shift. You will find that replacing that clutch will fix 98% of your problems. The side not is to install a bildge fan and run it down the trans tunnel. Alot of heat builds up under there. I have a 4" with a hose. The other thing is the torque or HP of the motor. Some of the trannies are good for only 450/450 power. The Superstreet 5 speed is good for 600/600. The constant load on it over time could cause a shifting issue. The other option is to installed a trans cooler. Use the drain and fill holes for inlet and outlet of the system. 12 volt pump and a rail cooler mounted to the frame rail. Relay for the pump and switch. 20 amp fuse. Just make sure your charging system will handle the extra 10-15 amp load with this running. Good Luck Rick L

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 05-23-2017 at 03:42 PM..