14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2017, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2907 with a stroked genisis 427 side oiler and dual quads
Not Ranked     
Default FireFly or GAS-U pipes for Superformance

I am looking to get some new polished SS side pipes for my Car. On this forum i saw good and bad about Firefly. They look pretty good to me but rought $2800 for headers and pipes. From the pictures they look really nice and look like the headers should flow better than the superformance ones. That being said how much better performance??
The Gas-U which I just heard about only offers the side pipes but they look really nice as well. Just wondering from superformance owners what kind of luck have you had with both?
I am inclined to keep the stock headers and go with the Gas-u side pipes. What are your thoughts.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #678
Not Ranked     

I put Ron's firefly exhaust on my 393 stroker SPF this year and the car loves them. The engine definitely breaths easier and runs better. I have not dyno checked the car but there is no doubt it picked up some ass lol.
Pricey but worth it in my opinion.
Great shipping and packaging and the rear mount is seriously built well and you will need to remount the rear support on the frame..... drill 2 holes.
Included new gaskets also.
Kirk
Old 06-06-2017, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 434, Paxton blown
Not Ranked     

Purchased the Firefly side pipes a couple of years ago. Very pleased with the both the quality & service. From my seat, very good value.
Upgraded my engine last year & moved to the Firefly headers. Once again, very well pleased with both the quality & service.
To my taste, they are both a big step up in appearance.
Performance gains? I'm not sure but I do know I have a lot more performance now. <G>
Mike
Old 06-06-2017, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHM View Post
I am looking to get some new polished SS side pipes for my Car. On this forum i saw good and bad about Firefly. They look pretty good to me but rought $2800 for headers and pipes. From the pictures they look really nice and look like the headers should flow better than the superformance ones. That being said how much better performance??
The Gas-U which I just heard about only offers the side pipes but they look really nice as well. Just wondering from superformance owners what kind of luck have you had with both?
I am inclined to keep the stock headers and go with the Gas-u side pipes. What are your thoughts.
Gas-U I have not run across, but Gas-N I have. Is the latter what you meant?

FWIW, I suspect the biggest gains come from increasing the size and efficiency of the muffler in the side pipes. I doubt the Superformance headers are that restrictive, and the FF ones certainly look much nicer.

Gas-N side pipes look good as well, and they now offer a 3" muffler core side pipe for those with really high HP engines. Going that route means you save money, but you retain the SPF headers.

Perhaps the key question will be whether you'll be regretting not upgrading the headers at some point in the future if you go the Gas-N route. Is this something that's going to bug you every time you open the hood and and take a look - or will you be okay with seeing the SPF headers each and every time? Only you can answer that question.

There's an interesting thread and post on the topic of SPF side pipes vs Gas-N here: Exhaust options | Superformance Cobra Owners
Old 06-06-2017, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

I have both the Firefly sidepipes and headers. I think my sidepipes are the 3rd set sold, 2005 vintage. I started with 2" primary headers (too big) and then switched to 1-7/8". 427w w/ AFR225 heads. I'm pleased with both the headers and sidepipes. Power is much better but can't quantify as it's been a long time and there were many other changes along the way.

The Superformance SBF headers did block the AFR ports and the port shape was significantly different but the AFR heads have large square ports.

No experience with Gas-N pipes but have spoken to them, seems like a good group. Ron at Firefly is excellent and does know how to make pipes that work.

Jim
Old 06-07-2017, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've got the gas-n side pipes and stock SPF headers. Ron at firefly said he was willing to sell me a set of their z head headers but indicated that I really wouldn't see much difference unless I was flowing really hard-beyond my 6000 rpm 535 BHP motor's needs...

The gas pipes are nice but the rear hangers are a bit agricultural...

Steve H