LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 01:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie looking for advice

Hi All,

I'll admit straight away I'm don't typically engage in forums outside of perusuing for valuable insight from those with experience.

I've dreamt of owning a Cobra since my father purchased an old MGB for my mother but it never did get completed. It did however introduce me to the beauty of these old cars.

I'm not mechanically inclined nor do I really have much knowledge of cars but we only live once and on my bucket list is owning a Cobra before I am too old to enjoy.

I'm writing to get any feedback, word of wisdom and/or caution. Maybe I'm also looking for support that I'm not just following some childhood dream and that owning one of these beauties isn't just for the mechanically inclined and can be enjoyed by someone like myself.

Cheers,

D
Old 08-07-2017, 05:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If they have a Cobra Club around your area go talk to some of them and get their ideas and likes and dislikes about the different brands they own. And if you aren't sure that you can build one, then check out the used ones but don't just buy the first one that you see and like. Have someone who knows about them go with you to look at any that you may be interested in and ask the right questions for you. And what you want to do with the car also comes into the equation. Are you wanting to race it or just have a nice one to cruise around in. And there are a lot more things to consider before making a purchase. I am sure that some of the other members will chime in with a lot more advice. Best of luck in your endeavor and I hope that you find what you want soon.

Ron
1985 CCX likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 08-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I agree, get involved with a club if one exists.
Determine budget
Do research into your desired manufacturer
Talk to those that have them... Huge help.
Ron61 likes this.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Since your not mechanically inclined, do not try to build one yourself.
Most are fairly simple cars so you may be able to maintain it yourself.
For the vast majority of us, a Cobra is an "extra" car along with the expenses it brings. (Kinda like a boat)
Old MGBs are much more practical, easier to get worked on, easier to drive and accepted by the spouse.
If you do not like extra ordinary attention, do not get a Cobra.

All this said: I can't imagine not owning one now that I have had one!
* will the be the last car I sell *
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks all.

Really appreciate the advice and I'm happy to hear that I may not be off my rocker and following my dream may be the right decision.

I am looking at a 1966 cobra with a 426fe engine and 4 speed toploader with Jag suspension.

I'm hoping to have a look personally at it on Friday. Its 65k (Canadian) so it's a bit over what I initially had in mind but if it's worth the $$ the investments is within my means.

I will of course have a mechanic friend of mine take a closer look if upon first inspection it meets my expectations. However I'd love to have some feedback on what type of questions I should ask and things I should look for.

Being in Vancouver Canada there are limited options when compared to the US. I've briefly considered looking south of the boarder but with customs, exchange and shipping I'm inclined to look locally if possible.

Thanks for the initial advice and I welcome any additional help.

Cheers,
D
Old 08-07-2017, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

If you can find a existing car that you like with a clear and clean title you will save yourself a lot of money, time and grief....

all these cars seem to need some debugging and seldom are there dealers near by that are experts at getting them right...

A huge advantage to have one inspected and be able to drive it before purchase...mine was the first one I ever saw or drove...

Now, don't assume you are not nuts because every one in here is certifiable ....

get some help and you may regain your senses...

IMHO these cars offer a similar experience as a motorcycle and are just a tiny bit safer only because you can't fall off one...

When your life is ending, you will regret more the things you didn't do when you had the chance..

Last edited by Bartruff1; 08-07-2017 at 11:33 PM..
Old 08-08-2017, 04:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Cobra replicas are not an investment. They are toys. Most do not get the money they have spend out of them when they sell.
Millsy likes this.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Cobra w/351W
Not Ranked     

Ive had mine for about a year. Best advice i can give you is this. If you have the money and you find one you like. Get it checked out to make sure its mechanically sound. If everything lines up, buy it and never look back. Drive the hell out of it. Take everybody for rides. Wave at everyone. Never get tired of showing it off.

Life is too short to not enjoy it. You deserve it. You earned it. Enjoy it.

Mike
Cobalt289 likes this.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Deeker76 - Like you, I had wanted a Cobra since I was a kid and my first car was an anemic Triumph Spitfire. And while I can do some basic car stuff, I'm not a mechanic or an automotive wizard like some of the guys on here with their built-from-scratch threads (wow!), so I wanted a very solid, reliable car that was well put together. A cruiser more than a racer, something with a small block that would start every time I turned the key and wouldn't need lots of tuning or exotic maintenance. I looked at a ton of cars online, read these forums and others, and ended up test driving a few different cars, including a couple of Superformance vehicles and the ERA 289 that I ended up buying. The biggest thing for me after driving the ERA and comparing it with the others was being able to speak directly with the man who built my car, as well as having a conversation with the folks at ERA about it, too. They told me about the options ordered with the car, what it would sell for today as a kit, and some other details that really put my mind at ease. So I took the plunge, and having the car has been great. I love to drive it, and also to just admire it in the garage. No buyer's remorse here! So take your time, because there are lots and lots of cars out there. It's a very expensive toy, so make sure you get the right car for you.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone for the advice and comments. I am continuing my search and doing as much reading as possible. I will post this in another section as well but I am looking at a Contemporary but the seller isn't able to locate a CCX# so I'm trying to determine if there is another means of identifying the car?

Any advice at this point would be helpful.

D