28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2017, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     
Default I need some idea's for a side glass, open/close handle setup...........

I'm just about finished with my LaMans top from Mr Bruce [thanks again], and I just finished a side window setup [LEXAN MARGARD SOLAR GRAY 1/4"] so I need some type of latch to hold it to the top.

The latch would be an easy thing to fab except that it needs to work from both sides.

Also, I would think that there is something out there I can use that is cheap enough so that it would be easier to just buy it vs the time to fabricate [using the primitive tools I have, as in no end mills, or lathes].

Here is the side window installed.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Edit: Sorry, but I'm having a sloooow time with Imgur uploading my dang pic so please be patient.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

mtrain2000,

Could you just post the link so we can look at your installation on Imgur? Everything here is very slow.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-14-2017, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

E-mail the photos to me and I'll put them on my server, then place the link here.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, like I said, I couldn't upload the picture TO Imgur as it was taking too long to do so.

Here it is. Not much really to see, just a top, with a translucent "window" on the side. Also, I know none of you guys would have mentioned it, but I know I need to install the weather striping around the opening of the top, but I've just not had the time yet.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So nobody has any idea's?
Old 11-24-2017, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Looks like you've done a nice job on the hardtop.
How will you access the door latch?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 11-24-2017, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Looks like you've done a nice job on the hardtop.
How will you access the door latch?

Cheers,
Glen
Maybe you have to take a look at the Dax Benelux website.
They have hardtops and windows.
Greetings
Old 11-25-2017, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

More pictures here: DB Replicas - Removable Le Mans Hard Top
as well as several other places on the net if you consider Google to be your friend.

BTW - speaking of ignorance, your tagline is a fine example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrain2000 View Post
You can put a chebby engine into a Ford body, but it will NEVER be a chevrolet. It also shows your ignorant, and lack imagination, as in its been done to death/not original.
Here's another one for you - "You can put a Ford engine into a fiberglass Shell Valley kit car body, but it will NEVER be a Ford. Using "your" instead of "you're" also shows your lack of written communication skill.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 11-25-2017 at 07:37 AM..
Old 12-08-2017, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

More pictures here: DB Replicas - Removable Le Mans Hard Top
as well as several other places on the net if you consider Google to be your friend.

BTW - speaking of ignorance, your tagline is a fine example.

Here's another one for you - "You can put a Ford engine into a fiberglass Shell Valley kit car body, but it will NEVER be a Ford. Using "your" instead of "you're" also shows your lack of written communication skill.
I've looked at that picture, but it doesn't show an outer handle to open the side window. You have to have a side handle to open the side window from the outside to access the inner door opening mechanism.

Oh, and I never said putting a Ford engine into a kit car Cobra body would make it a Ford, but it would make it a more correct looking replica.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I've looked at that picture, but it doesn't show an outer handle to open the side window. You have to have a side handle to open the side window from the outside to access the inner door opening mechanism.
I believe it's obvious that a way to open from the outside is needed - do you think the owner of that Cobra leaves his window open all the time and has to break in every time he forgets?
The picture shows the inner latching part of the mechanism. If you actually follow the link in my post you will see that this particular setup uses a key to open/close the window from the outside. You can use a key - which has the added benefit of somewhat locking the car - or you can use a handle similar to the hood latches we have on our Cobras, which can also be keyed. You can choose whatever kind of handle you want, once you set up the inside part of the mechanism. Hopefully you'll find something made by Ford so it doesn't turn your replica into some other brand of car.

Quote:
Oh, and I never said putting a Ford engine into a kit car Cobra body would make it a Ford, but it would make it a more correct looking replica.
Yet you seem to think those who use a Chevy engine want to turn their kit cars into a Chevrolet. I suppose in your world people who have an irrational loyalty to the Ford brand are somehow brighter and nobler in purpose than all others. If you want to be the judge of Cobra correctness you're going to have to ditch that Shell Valley kit and get yourself a Kirkham, or at the very least an ERA with an iron block 427 side oiler. And pin-drive knock off wheels, of course.

EDIT: The REAL secret is to build your kit the way you can or want; and enjoy it for what it is without feeling threatened and needing to denigrate the different choices that other Cobra enthusiasts make with theirs.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 12-08-2017 at 11:07 PM..
Old 12-09-2017, 05:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile a few ideas

all parts bought from McMaster-Carr and Lowes.

Aluminum cut on table saw to get the recessed for the sliding glass. Felt cloth super glued in place to eliminate rattle and water.

I drove the blue car in the rain with very little leakage.
Red car is a Ape Hardtop.