• 3 Post By Cobra #3170

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CSX3170 @Goodguys Pleasanton

We are qualified but not because the car was fast. We finished third behind two Corvettes both driven by past winners and good drivers. These guys are already in so we got the invitation to Scottsdale. The Cobra is 1.5 seconds slower than it was last year on the same course. The car was stuttering and blubbering all week end at low speed and never cleaned up until it got big throttle inputs. Handling was not great either we had new tires but could never get them to come in because it was cold and slippery. Top speeds were the same as last year so there is hope the car will be good when tuned correctly. We really thrashed on the suspension set up and a little on the tune, on his last run of the day Scott beat both Corvettes with a time that was 1.5 seconds slower than our best last year. Goodguys told us that the run did not count because it was a "fun" run. Oh well, at least we are in. The new engine calibration is in LB/Hr so I converted it to injector pulse width and found some interesting facts.
The new 440 cid engine has 90 lb/hr Bosch X injectors the old 498 cid engine had FAST 65 lb/hr injectors. I looked at the tables and it looks like they reduced the pulse with in full power portions of the table and left all the old stuff as it was. This means that the engine is fat as hell everywhere you are not on full power. I am in the process of reducing pulse width everywhere else now. We leave tomorrow so this is a real hail Mary deal. I think handling will come back once we get the tires to come in in hot weather on good pavement. Scott did hit 8400 rpm once and they told us it was too loud and needed better mufflers. I will let uou guys know how things worked out after Scottsdale.
maurice19, LoBelly and rodneym like this.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:20 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Would love to see it go.
Gotta get out more often.
Thanks for the updates!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Getting to Scottsdale will give you the heat you need to hook up the tires.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF5 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

Weather will be good for your tires. Looking forward to seeing you at the track.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Hope you have videos to post when you get done...
Old 11-14-2017, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
Scott did hit 8400 rpm once and they told us it was too loud and needed better mufflers.
Too loud... What wuss-bags.

When you get to Scottsdale, you can just cut the mufflers off, and throw them in the dumpster....
Old 11-14-2017, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
Scott did hit 8400 rpm once and they told us it was too loud and needed better mufflers.
They have no since of reality as it’s a Cobra.....we’ve had that issue before .....and the race tracks will restrict some sanction bodies and let other sanction bodies run without any regards to noise rules. Who knows??
Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
They have no since of reality as it’s a Cobra.....we’ve had that issue before .....and the race tracks will restrict some sanction bodies and let other sanction bodies run without any regards to noise rules. Who knows??
Last year somebody in an adjoining condo at Del Mar complained that the Cobra was making their sliding glass door shake so they are paranoid now.
Noise rules, they have a cackle fest with Nitro dragsters that are a lot louder than this Ford so yes Who Knows?

I bought some 30" Flowmasters with a 31/2" ID maybe they will help we are going to put them on in Scottsdale.
I spent all day today putting a new tune in that matches 90 pound injectors. It seems to like the new set up but has not been hammered yet.
We are going to do the last nut and bolt in Scottsdale because wheels have to come off and be switched so will do mufflers at the same time.