• 1 Post By Cobra #3170

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CSX3170 EFI tuning

I had my FAST EFI tuned today by a very knowledgeable tuner (FAST Man EFI)
he converted me from Alpha-N to Speed density and did a great job. The car starts instantly, is razor sharp, and has a very stable idle. Power is over the moon now that fuel air ratios are correct. We tried loading the engine by shifting into second and third gears and applying increasing brake and throttle pressure it just slid the front tires and spun the rears. I will have to log the sensors at a long track to get the engine up to where it is really working and make sure F/A is correct. If any of you are contemplating going to EFI I highly recommend Holley because their self learning algorithm is so much faster and better than FAST. My engine builder told me alpha N was the only way I could go because my cam was so radical, boy was he wrong. Now I need to work on the handling and we will have a competitive car again.
maurice19 likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Great news! Was it a dyno tune? Are you going to data log actual runs so he can smooth out the tables? The guy that did my Accel system did it on the dyno to start and then we went for a drive up and down a 12000' mountain pass to smooth it out in real time. There wasn't any problem going up but on the way down when letting off the throttle it lurched and he went into the tables and fixed it. It was going places he couldn't get to on the static dyno. Logging a actual run with all the turns and throttle/fuel changes should allow him to check for unexpected boundary conditions.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 11-29-2017 at 03:33 PM..
Old 11-29-2017, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Congratulations! Nice to hear that things are moving forward.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF5 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

Congrats, see you at the Good Guys in March I hope.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default EFI Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Great news! Was it a dyno tune? Are you going to data log actual runs so he can smooth out the tables? The guy that did my Accel system did it on the dyno to start and then we went for a drive up and down a 12000' mountain pass to smooth it out in real time. There wasn't any problem going up but on the way down when letting off the throttle it lurched and he went into the tables and fixed it. It was going places he couldn't get to on the static dyno. Logging a actual run with all the turns and throttle/fuel changes should allow him to check for unexpected boundary conditions.
He did it by reviewing my logs from actual runs and then my driving the car while he watched the lap top. I really lucked out with this gentleman. He designed the hard ware for the Ford EEC1 in the seventies, he has owned his own software company, designed LSI integrated circuits and builds engines as a hobby he also tunes current EFI pro stockers. He has tuned literally thousands of cars and really knows the ins and outs of tuning. He really had no trouble building a 3D VE map that worked right away because of his knowledge and experience. I first talked with him when I bought a replacement wiring harness for the FAST XFI 2.0 unit. The cam on this thing is 287 at .050 on the intake and 293 at .050 ex with .818 valve lift so it is fairly nasty and now it drives very well at low speeds. I couldn't be happier with the results. He told me if I had a Holley I would not even need him to tune the system.
LoBelly likes this.