21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 07-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     
Default Jack Roush Crashes Plane in WI

"NASCAR team owner and motorsport legend Jack Roush crashed his plane while landing in Wisconsin this evening. Roush is reportedly OK, but his jet, a Raytheon/Beechcraft Premier 390, has broken in two and appears to be a total loss."

http://jalopnik.com/5598098/

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

isn't that the "cat-in-the-hat"? 9, 8, 7, 6......
Old 07-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Beechcraft Premier 390, I see the problem. Ya bore and stroke a tiny block 302 to 390 and your asking for trouble...

No doubt he developed a "rear main seal leak" at some point, pucker factor's being what they are.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

If I remember correctly, that's not the first time he's crashed one of his personal planes. Perhaps Jack should leave the flying to someone who knows what the hell he's doing.......
Old 07-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

I'm glad he is OK. I am also glad it was not his P-51 Mustang.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Yep, I admit I don't know much about flying a plane BUT common sense (or someone else) tells me I'd stay away from flying himself! I think I would leave the flying to someone else! You couldn't give me a ticket to ride as a co pilot for sure. On the other note, I'm very glad he is OK. He is a great Ford guy and a true racer! Godspeed! Matt
Old 07-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
If I remember correctly, that's not the first time he's crashed one of his personal planes. Perhaps Jack should leave the flying to someone who knows what the hell he's doing.......
Yep, he crashed a plane in 2002.

More info on Roush's crash today.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...anding-for-EAA

"Witnesses said the plane was coming in too low and too slow as it approached the south end of the airport’s north-south runway, which caused the plane to start to roll. The nose then hit the ground, the plane spun 180 degrees and the tail broke off.

"It looked like a bad approach and he over-corrected and then crashed," said Mark Yarnell, of New Philadelphia, Ohio."

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Very glad to hear that Jack and passenger are OK ... Yikes!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Some may not be aware, Roush spends lots of time with aircraft. I think that is where he started his business, rebuilding AC engines.

http://www.roush.com/Markets_We_Serve/Aerospace.aspx
Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Even good pilots have a bad air day now and then...
Old 07-28-2010, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

You'd think Jack was a doctor or lawyer by the way he flies!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

LOL Jerry
The Cat in The Hat has been lucky twice. Do you think he will go for 3 ?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Feds will probably pull his ticket, at least for a while----

For those non-fliers----it has seemed to me over the years that many of the small plane accidents that occurred where doctors or lawyers that just had to go and crashed just short of the runway or airport----sometimes in weather, sometimes cavu--

I believe that the monied sports ( Nascar,etc) has had far too many fatal accidents by under qualified pilots/flight crew and if they as a group were treated like an airline that FAA would of shut them down---
Old 07-28-2010, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar 427 SC, "Red Venom", 351W B/S 400 HP, TKO 600 .64 OD
Not Ranked     

I doubt they will pull his ticket. They don't typically do that unless there is a FAR violation of some sort.

It can be very intimidating landing at Airventure with 200,000 people watching. The tendency is to not "go around" and screw up the traffic pattern and I'm sure he felt some of that. I've landed at the airshow well over 15 times over the years and every year is an adventure to say the least.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In the description of several witnesses---many very experienced aviators---low,short,slow,roll, nose hit first------they will have his ticket suspended until he has done some refresher training and check ride----

Now----if-----they (whoever THRY is ) demostrate that he was following someone who slowed down ( and this could be accumulated )and further slowed down someone else, and if sort of trained effect, then I would cut him some slack, however he should of pulled out of the approach way before it got , low,slow and short to the point of a stall/spin!!!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

I ended up in the grass a few times..............lol
Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
He is very fortunate. He almost drowned in his first crash when his plane hit some power lines and went down in water. I believe it was a plumber, ( not sure ), who dove in and got him out of the plane and saved his life. Maybe at his age and with two crashes now he should consider doing less flying on his own.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-28-2010, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Nearly all of my flying experience was in the Air Force and much of that was as in instructor in the T-38 supersonic trainer. As a result, I flew, taught and watched thousands of landings and practice stall recoveries. The dangers of low and slow were ingrained in me. But I wonder how often civilian pilots who own their own jets practice stall recognition and recovery. If most of his flying was takeoff-cruise-normal landing, his lack of practice in coping with abnormal situations might have contibuted to the crash.

One more thing. I've long been opposed to the military doing aerial flight demonstations at airshows. I've seen too many good pilots crash and die rather than suffer the embarrassment of abandoning a bad approach in front of an audience.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There was a B737 that crashed at Midway airport several years ago----the pilot was a experienced competitor at the World aerobatic championships(or at least National)
Low ceilings, pretty heavy icing conditions---the aircraft got slow in front of him(IFR) on approach and ATC slowed down the 37--The B737 didn't have anti ice on the tail--with the ice build up it affected the stall speed of the a/c and it ended up stalling just short of touchdown and crashing---this was in control of one of the top level pilots in the nation---reluctance to go around.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar 427 SC, "Red Venom", 351W B/S 400 HP, TKO 600 .64 OD
Not Ranked     

The only slack i would cut him is that the controllers often ask you to do maneuvers close to the ground on approach that you wouldn't normally do. Three years ago, a couple behind me in the approach to Airventure stall/spinned it into the ground on the approach apron because the controller asked them to keep it in close and make the turn to final over the end of the runway. Two killed just like that.

I wouldn't be surprised, especially since he was landing on 18, that he had to make a very close-in turn to final, overshot the centerline and steepened his bank angle, stalled and recovered but had lost too much energy and pancaked it in. I know he shouldn't have allowed himself to do it as he is ultimately the PIC, but......I can see how it happened. It happens every year up there.