21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Covering up SPF heat exchangers for winter (CA) driving...

Although anymore I am actually a bit hesitant to mention my home state when away, you have to admit that shirtsleeve weather on New Year's Day at the coast is pretty nice...

It does however get chilly enough where the oil cooler needs covering up in order to get the oil up to temps high enough to burn off contaminants.

The radiator is another issue, I'd like to block some of it off in order to keep the heater functional at speed? Any one try this? Block bottom, top, one side or the other? Risk over heating when stopped?

Thanks

Steve H
SPF1764
Old 01-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Aluminum tape over the oil cooler works well.

If your thermostat is working properly you should not need to block the radiator. The stat is intended to keep the system at the selected temp level, i.e. 180, etc. and that should be sufficient for proper heater operation.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Aluminum tape over the oil cooler works well.

If your thermostat is working properly you should not need to block the radiator. The stat is intended to keep the system at the selected temp level, i.e. 180, etc. and that should be sufficient for proper heater operation.
That's a good point I wonder if I am due for a newt Tstat? She never exceeds about 90c but in cool weather never gets more than about Half way if moving?

Water does take a while to heat up wonder if it's sticking partial open...whelp new project...

Thanks MkIV
Old 01-03-2018, 05:28 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Install a new 185/192 stat with a weep hole (1/16" drilled and located at the top) for easy bleeding of air (some stats have a brass rivet that floats and does the same thing). If you want anti-freeze use Ford "gold" coolant from your local dealer, good with aluminum and works well.

Do not use a "160 degree" stat. An engine is intended to operate at a given temp and a lower temp stat is a "Band-Aid" for a cooling system that is not operating or balanced properly.

The SPF radiator will cool a 600 HP engine so if you can't keep a constant temp the fault is elsewhere.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-04-2018, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance. 427 Windsor.
Not Ranked     

I find the SPF cooler and radiator are almost too good for PA. I installed a Canton oil cooler thermostat which I really like. Also, do not take your stats rating for granted. After not being able to keep my 427 Windsor at temp, I pulled the stat and checked it on the stove. It started to open at 160 but was marked a 180. In comparison, a Robert Shaw 180 stat, did not start to open until 180. Big difference. My car could probably even use a 190 stat and be great. Rule number 1, take nothing for granted.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 GT350, FFR Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     
Default coolant

Wait.... I thought the first rule was
" Dont tell everything you know."

The Nut
Old 01-04-2018, 08:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     

I agree with the above posts regarding an oil cooler thermostat. I had the same issues with oil temp. until I installed an oil cooler thermostat from Canton. After, my oil temp. always was in the correct temp. range, regardless of the ambient temp. Heater always worked, so checking your water thermostat is a good idea. Pictures of the oil cooler thermostat below.
Attached Images

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Rule # 1

I hate to correct both of you but Rule Number One is,

"if I want her to know. I'll tell her."
Old 01-04-2018, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Nope, you are both wrong.
"If she wanted your opinion she would tell you what it was"

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 01-05-2018, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ordered a new high flow shaw TStat...figure if I am taking it apart put it back together with new and better parts...regarding the oil cooler Tstat, toying with it but my foil solution ends up controlling the oil right about 100c...
Old 01-05-2018, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance. 427 Windsor.
Not Ranked     

The Shaw stats are built a little differently than a regular stat. If you are using a thermostat housing extension, check the ID of the extension in comparison to the OD of the stat body. I had my extension machined to increase the clearance.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Studying the oil t stat install

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodard View Post
I agree with the above posts regarding an oil cooler thermostat. I had the same issues with oil temp. until I installed an oil cooler thermostat from Canton. After, my oil temp. always was in the correct temp. range, regardless of the ambient temp. Heater always worked, so checking your water thermostat is a good idea. Pictures of the oil cooler thermostat below.
So it looks like the unit is plumbed in on one side as if it were the cooler, and the other side cooler in and out? Pretty slick. Ive also toyed with an oil accumulator, but my car doesn't really sit unused for all that long, and I can't really picture a situation where I would starve the oil pickup...
Old 01-06-2018, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tatar swapped out, the aluminum adapter thing between the Tstat housing and the manifold needed a bit of a bevel cut too fit the shaw stat. It's not perfectly flat like the regular unit...all buttoned up.