• 1 Post By Buzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2018, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MKIV 331 Stroker carb'd
Not Ranked     
Default Tapered Vinyl Stripes - MK4

I want to use flat (matte) black vinyl stripes for my Roadster. Does anyone have a source I can get them precut? I have looked and asked in other forums but no luck as yet.

I want to use that standard template dimensions which taper from about 7 1/2inches to about 6 1/2.with a 1/4" outside stripe as well.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I can't help with the precut vinyl. But I've seen a lot of videos of people doing complex vinyl wraps where they lay down what I'll call a cutting thread where they want a clean edge. Then then lay the vinyl over it. When they pull up the thread it cuts the vinyl precisely where the thread was placed. Perhaps that would work for you.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 01-24-2018, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MKIV 331 Stroker carb'd
Not Ranked     

Tommy,
Thanks, I haven't heard of that method. I wasm talking to one vendor who was saying he could do it but he quit answering me.

I just like the look of flat black stripes and VINYL seems to look better to me anyhow.

Bob
Old 01-24-2018, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Here's an example: knifeless tape
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 01-24-2018, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
I want to use flat (matte) black vinyl stripes for my Roadster. Does anyone have a source I can get them precut? I have looked and asked in other forums but no luck as yet.

I want to use that standard template dimensions which taper from about 7 1/2inches to about 6 1/2.with a 1/4" outside stripe as well.
I haven't found any pre-cut kits on-line, but I know there are a couple of shops in town that would cut them for me. They do stripes, truck graphics and full-body wraps, so they can do pretty much everything. Here's a couple sets of measurements:

Source: Team stripes dimensions question

Source: http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/stripes.gif
Old 01-24-2018, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

Not sure if this is what you are looking for? Squier Design Stripes & Stripe Kits
Old 01-25-2018, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

With an ordinary vinyl stripe kit, you'll have a heck of a time keeping the edges straight because of the compound curvature of a Cobra's hood and rear deck. If you have a removable hood scoop it helps a bit, but if you don't then that's a whole other problem in it's own right. It may be doable with a really stretchable stripe material, but it certainly will not be easy.
The wrapping method using a large piece on the main hood area and then trimming with the cutting thread that Tommy posted might be the best bet for laying non-painted stripes.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-25-2018, 04:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

call Race Line Digital and see what they have

1965 COBRA 289 FIA ROADSTER [RD-VD-1965289FIA] - $195.00*US : RACELINE DIGITAL, Boat Graphics | Motorsport Graphics
Old 01-25-2018, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Per their description: "All top stripes are not die-cut nor modified to contour such obstructions such as hood intakes, NCAA ducts, nostril panels etc."

I would like to see photos from anyone on this site who has successfully applied vinyl stripes to a Cobra with a hood scoop. If it has been done, it must have involved sectioning, cutting and joining in the most curved areas. If not, then some very skilled work with a heat gun and stretching.

I'll do some digging - I think one of our Aussie brethren might have posted some photos a while back. I'm sure it's not impossible, but I'd be curious to see how (or if) it's been done.
Stephcalo likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 01-25-2018, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a thread in the Oz forum with a pic from AZ Cobra Mike (Arizona) of his Cobra with a matte black full body wrap and applied stripes. It looks like he has a riveted hood scoop.

Temporary paint