17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-23-2018, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars, 428 big block
Not Ranked     
Default Removing Shifter Knob

Trying to remove the shifter knob. The top half spins off. Haven’t been able to budge the bottom half. Has 2 small holes on lower side that could be for set screws but I have not been able to remove anything from them. Have not used pliers because I don’t want to marr the piece or break anything. What is the trick to getting it off? Thanks for any tips!
Old 02-23-2018, 05:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Be sure that the two small holes don't have some kind of set screw in them. One that I had like that had a darn tiny one that I couldn't hardly see and it took a special jewelers screwdriver to break it loose and it had a Philips tip. They may also have that new type that requires the torque type screwdriver.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB54DM View Post
Trying to remove the shifter knob. The top half spins off. Haven’t been able to budge the bottom half. Has 2 small holes on lower side that could be for set screws but I have not been able to remove anything from them. Have not used pliers because I don’t want to marr the piece or break anything. What is the trick to getting it off? Thanks for any tips!

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-23-2018, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tip Ron. I was using Allen wrenches with no success. I will try a tiny Phillips.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Is there a lock nut below it? If so, it may be binding the lower half. Screw the top of the handle back on and then hold it while you put an open end wrench on the lock nut and loosen it. Are those two holes facing up? If so, then any set scores would be for connecting the lower half of the handle to the upper half.

Jim
Old 02-23-2018, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like you have an original vintage style. The lower bezel has two holes in it and you can use 90 deg snap ring pliers to remove it.
https://images.homedepot-static.com/...5b-64_1000.jpg
https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...-1966/p/MSK19/

If its stubborn it probably has Locktite on the threads. Heating it with a heat gun will liquify the Locktite once it hits 650F. A soldering iron will work as well, just place the tip at the mating point of threads and nut and heat three areas around the dia.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Use a Harbor Freight rubber strap wrench. It will grip and not mar the chrome finish.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-23-2018, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1795, no lock nut and set screws or holes or whatever they are don’t go into top piece.
Spdbrake, yes it is the original style. Great tip, I will try your method tomorrow. Thanks!
Mark IV, I’ll pick one of those up this week. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
Sounds like you have an original vintage style. The lower bezel has two holes in it and you can use 90 deg snap ring pliers to remove it.
https://images.homedepot-static.com/...5b-64_1000.jpg
https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...-1966/p/MSK19/

If its stubborn it probably has Locktite on the threads. Heating it with a heat gun will liquify the Locktite once it hits 650F. A soldering iron will work as well, just place the tip at the mating point of threads and nut and heat three areas around the dia.
I was wondering if those holes were for a special tool, like a set of snap ring pliers, but was in a hurry and did not have time to write a long post. I have a similar setup, although mine has never been that tight that I could not break it free with just my hand.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF-427R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Use a Harbor Freight rubber strap wrench. It will grip and not mar the chrome finish.
This will make quick work of it.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

As others have posted, the holes are for snap ring pliers. Normally you orient the knob in the correct direction and tighten the lower half upwards to secure it in place. Once you get a good grip on it or use the pliers, it should loosen right up. When you get it off, you'll see that the holes don't go right through to the threaded bore, so even if someone managed to put a tiny set screw in there it would have no effect.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 02-26-2018, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all your help! New 8 ball knob is installed. Looks great and feels much better. I’d post a photo, but apparently not possible from an IPad.